Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any advise on a portable garage/gazebo.
focijohn

posted on 25/8/12 at 03:58 PM Reply With Quote
Any advise on a portable garage/gazebo.

Hi all,
Long time no post. Basically between feeling unwell, the weather and helping every other bugger out I've not ONCE lifted the cover off the kit car this year and just now gone to replace the down pipe on the daily and have given up to the summer weather.... so I've come inside to cry and rock myself to sleep. Half the reason I haven't done anything to the MNR is that if there is a chance of rain I don't uncover it and get it in the middle of the drive etc etc etc excuses I know but its the score as we don't have a garage.
So back to the title, need one of the above does anyone have one or could recommend someone or a company. I've had a quick look on ebay and they all claim to have excellent build and finish with durability etc etc as they would but I'm sure there are some differences. It needs to be able to house a discovery 2 and have 4 sides to it, I want to be able to walk around it too, more so because as and when it breaks down I can work over the engine and be dry. Also at this size I'll be able to house the MNR comfortably when it rains on the only day that I get it out. I'm not too fussed about spending a little bit on it as I'm sure it will have more than its fair share of use in this disgrace of a weather system.

Any pointers welcome

John

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

spiderman

posted on 25/8/12 at 04:30 PM Reply With Quote
Hi John,
It takes me ages to read your posts as I am always waiting for the fall out from your avatar.

I have a 20' x 10' party tent which my Locost lives in to keep the rain off when I am working on it and when I am not. I seem to recall it cost around £140. It is not as good as I would like, but then again what is these days? I will take some photos of it if you like and send them to you and try and find the suppliers name for you, this evening. Just make sure that you secure the thing to the floor well, as mine has taken off a couple of times in gusty/high wind situations. It was weighted down on one corner be a large vice weighing around 25Lbs and it just flung the damn thing in the air about 15' and landed about 20' away, good job there was nobody or nothing in it's flight path otherwise it could have been rather disastrous.
I am not too far away from you so if you wanted to look at mine you are quite welcome to come and have a look if you like.
I have had mine a couple of years and considering it has been airborne a couple of times it has lasted quite well, it does have another tarp over the top of it now, as it has a couple of small tears in it, which cost £16.
I will try and send photos and more details to you a little later as I need to get under it and do some work on the Locost, 12yrs and still not finished.

Hope that helps.
Spider.

Spider

snakebelly

posted on 25/8/12 at 05:16 PM Reply With Quote
ge awning with sides we have only used twice, its just sitting under the workbench. wasnt planning to sell it but if its for a good cause may be persuaded. Workshop is in Market Drayton about an hour from you maybe an hour and 20. Im up there on Monday afternoon if you wanted to come and have a look.

from memory its a 3m X 6m so would be plenty big enough

[Edited on 25/8/12 by snakebelly]

Norton91

posted on 25/8/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Try these people, I built my Fury in one and they made a custom cover to join the stand up garage to my normal garage so I could go from one to the other dry and warmish and still get the bikes in the garage.
http://www.canvasandnylon.co.uk/portablegarages.php

You can see it in my photos - as I have a slopping drive I have it on a decking base.

Nigel

Confused but excited.

posted on 25/8/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Whatever you do, don't get a Costco one. They are sh1te!
£200 and the main selling point for me was the rope reinforced edges to the panels.
First time the wind got up the panels ripped along the sewn seam. This left the rope reinforced edges firmly fastened to the frame and the rest of the panels blowing away in the wind.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Phoenix-Rob

posted on 25/8/12 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
I got my portable garage from Dancover, it is a heavy duty version, the cover is good quality not see thru like cheap tarpaulins. The cover is kept tight over the frame with small ratchet straps and there are storm flaps down each side that you can bury or weigh them down.
It has been up for one year and I am very pleased with it, as a bonus Dancover are very good to deal with.

Machine Mart are selling a similar type of portable garage but i have no idea of quality.

focijohn

posted on 31/8/12 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry for the late reply guys I've been flat out. Snake belly thank you for the offer but I don't know when I'll be able to collect it so rather than mess you around I will politely decline.
I was having a look around and dancover kept popping up and they seemed to talk the talk albeit at the higher end of the price scale, but, if it lasts then so be it.

thanks for the input

Anyone going slower than you is an idiot. Anyone going faster than you is a maniac.
Too many targets but too few bullets.

Ian Jones

posted on 12/2/13 at 07:06 PM Reply With Quote
anyone else using a dancover? or something like that?
Peteff

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:05 PM Reply With Quote
How about a big tent. I use a canvas from one of these type tents to cover the trailer tent and it's been outside for years and no sign of rot.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

Stott

posted on 12/2/13 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
Whatever you do, don't get a Costco one. They are sh1te!
£200 and the main selling point for me was the rope reinforced edges to the panels.
First time the wind got up the panels ripped along the sewn seam. This left the rope reinforced edges firmly fastened to the frame and the rest of the panels blowing away in the wind.

I'm sure that was really annoying at the time but I'm sorry to say I'm laughing like hell at the mental picture I've got of that happening

I probably can't buy a gazebo now for fear of karma biting me in the ass

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.