Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Oil Filter wrench sockets - any use?
02GF74

posted on 26/8/12 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Oil Filter wrench sockets - any use?

Anyone own and use the oil filter wrench sockets like these:

and are they any use at removing stubborn oil filters? (the oil filter casing is pretty thin metal so I would expect it to deform fairly easily on stubborn filters)

t11

posted on 26/8/12 at 08:35 AM Reply With Quote
oil filter tools

Hi ...yes very good set, we have both sets at work and they are used all the time, they will fit almost everything...........
Daddylonglegs

posted on 26/8/12 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I would guess that unless cash ain't an object, you would need to be doing allsorts of different cars regularly to justify buying a set though?

But then I am a stingey git!

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

rusty nuts

posted on 26/8/12 at 08:59 AM Reply With Quote
They are designed to remove and refit the plastic oil filter covers on later engines , you will probably find that you don't use them that much. IIRC there was a magazine article recently testing various oil filter removing tools , it may have been PPC?
tomgregory2000

posted on 26/8/12 at 09:27 AM Reply With Quote
I have one of these and they are amazing

Draper oil filter removal tool

Chippy

posted on 26/8/12 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tomgregory2000
I have one of these and they are amazing
Draper oil filter removal tool

They were the type that were recomended in the PPC article as being the best buy, and most useful. Cheers Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

MRLuke

posted on 29/8/12 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
Call me a yobbo but I use a screwdriver and a hammer if a filter is being stubborn.
nick205

posted on 29/8/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MRLuke
Call me a yobbo but I use a screwdriver and a hammer if a filter is being stubborn.

That's OK for the older disposable can type filters, but a lot of cars these days have a paper filter element in a permanent plastic housing. Those type of cup sockets are the only reliable way of removing and replacing the plastic cover to get at the filter element. VAG cars have used this system for a good 10+ years.

To answer the OPs question, they're well worth having, but unless you're servicing lots of different vehicles I'd just get the specific ones to your vehicle.

02GF74

posted on 29/8/12 at 04:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

To answer the OPs question, they're well worth having, but unless you're servicing lots of different vehicles I'd just get the specific ones to your vehicle.

they are £ 24ish on the bay so not a huge sum of money. plastic filters? not seen them but then my newest car engine is 18 years old.

so are they no use for the metal cannister type filter?

the screwdriver method does not fail but it is v.messy plus on some cars, there is no room for that hence why I was thinking of this filter set; my concern was that they can bend/muller a metal cannister filter as what happens when using the jubilee clip method.

MRLuke

posted on 29/8/12 at 06:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by MRLuke

That's OK for the older disposable can type filters, but a lot of cars these days have a paper filter element in a permanent plastic housing. Those type of cup sockets are the only reliable way of removing and replacing the plastic cover to get at the filter element. VAG cars have used this system for a good 10+ years.

Learn something new every day

BobM

posted on 29/8/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
they are £ 24ish on the bay so not a huge sum of money. plastic filters? not seen them but then my newest car engine is 18 years old.

so are they no use for the metal cannister type filter?

the screwdriver method does not fail but it is v.messy plus on some cars, there is no room for that hence why I was thinking of this filter set; my concern was that they can bend/muller a metal cannister filter as what happens when using the jubilee clip method.

I use one but didn't bother getting a full set, they're only a few quid each and I only need the one. They're such a snug fit there's v little chance of damaging the canister and I wouldn't use anything else. The filter on my mid-engined ZX10 car is almost impossible to get at but I can get one of these on it with an extension bar and ratchet, would be impossible with any other type.

Not very Locost but very BEC

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.