Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Pedals and front axis
m8kwr

posted on 28/8/12 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Pedals and front axis

Hi all,

I am sure I read somewhere (a long time ago) that the pedal box could not be further forward then the front axis!

Is this correct, I have just scanned the IVA but could not find any reference, unless I skipped that page.

Any clarification would be great.

Slimy38

posted on 28/8/12 at 01:52 PM Reply With Quote
It might not really apply to cars and the IVA, but a bus or coach has it's pedal box ahead of the front axle...
FuryRebuild

posted on 28/8/12 at 01:57 PM Reply With Quote
It's a simple don't do it if you value your legs or being sued if it involves someone elses legs.

I remember from the original interior pictures of the AM Nimrod all those years ago at Le Mans, that was more or less where the drivers seating position was. It's banned now for all sorts of obvious safety regs.

Your steering rack and associated suspension components are secured to the chassis in a variety of hard ways to transmit impact force to the chassis and around your feet, as well as having crumple zones to absorb the energy in a controlled manner.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

m8kwr

posted on 28/8/12 at 02:03 PM Reply With Quote
I am trying to build a replica F2/F3 single seater, and all the pictures I have seen the pedal box is slightly forward of the front axis

I would only have to 'sue' myself!

FuryRebuild

posted on 28/8/12 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting one - are you intending to compete?

If so, your formula or organisers may have advice - there'd be nowt worse than turning up to find scrutineering banning you.

Nice pic though - good luck

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

m8kwr

posted on 28/8/12 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
no put on the road!!!!!!!

Or that is the plan anyway... got the body shell

Just in the chassis design mode again, and just working out where to put everything. The fuel tank is my next tricky one, as ideally i would prefer it up the front of the car, but can't put it there due to front impact damage, so I will need to put it behind the driver and engine - but unsure how hot it will get there - or how big the space will be for it.

So i hopefully some day end up with something that looks similar to this - but with headlights, wheel arches, but if it starts to look ugly then I will just then us it for track use

loggyboy

posted on 28/8/12 at 02:27 PM Reply With Quote
Anyone??

Mistral Motorsport

minitici

posted on 28/8/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
It is an MSA requirement for the pads of the pedals to be behind the front wheel axle line.
There are exemptions for pre 1.1.99 builds and designs.
ref: MSA blue book Section J 5.2.11

m8kwr

posted on 28/8/12 at 02:32 PM Reply With Quote
thank you for that

minitici

posted on 28/8/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
Ideal place for the fuel tank is a wedge shaped tank fitted behind the seat (behind a bulkhead).
For IVA the tank needs to be in an open (bottomless?) compartment and the filler needs to be outside.

Chippy

posted on 28/8/12 at 09:49 PM Reply With Quote
I know that in the old SVA reg's it was required that the pedals were behind the front axle line, not sure if that has been carried foreword to the IVA reg's but would guess that it has. Your best way to find out is to phone your local IVA test centre. HTH Ray

To make a car go faster, just add lightness. Colin Chapman - OR - fit a bigger engine. Chippy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.