Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost GT (who needs 12,500rpm)
Dunc

posted on 5/3/02 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
Locost GT (who needs 12,500rpm)

Since my aquisitions at the weekend the idea part of my head is in overdrive. I've been thinking of the ultimate road going seven. A motorway cruiser that can change the weather just by starting up. I've still to work out if its possible but I WILL make it work, eventually.

My ideas revolve round the use of the V12 I now have and how the hell I can build a chassis around it and still make it look like a seven. Who needs 12500rpm when you have 250lb ft of torque at 1500rpm. I want to use all of the XJS running gear, along with A/C, P/S and electric seats for that snob effect.

I'm not planning on racing it and Colin Chapman is probably turning in his grave at the thought of this but the whole car should still be less than 1000kg. V8 just doesn't have enough cylinders.

Has anyone else had similar ideas or am I just going loony tunes? I'll need to think of a name for this project and for the badge on the back, sugestions would be welcome.

Dunc.

chrisg

posted on 5/3/02 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
There used to be a V12 Robin Hood, till one of the kit car mags crashed it, maybe you could find out how they did it, possibly on the RH site?

Cheers

Chris

merlin

posted on 5/3/02 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
they probably had a lead foot and wrapped it round a lamp post!! "that's how they did it.."
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisg

posted on 5/3/02 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Good God,

You need to watch every word!

I mean, see how they made the car(obviously)

Cheers

Chris

theconrodkid

posted on 5/3/02 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
photo of a recent
west london meet,guess who is who?

merlin

posted on 5/3/02 at 09:00 PM Reply With Quote
you must be now you've passed the SVA, I am obviously cos Chris doesn't like my jokes and as for Bob he must be dribbling over those oh so sexy headlamp brackets!!
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theconrodkid

posted on 5/3/02 at 10:26 PM Reply With Quote
9/10 i have rather more hair than that one!
merlin

posted on 6/3/02 at 06:51 AM Reply With Quote
ok but you must admit Bob is a dead ringer!
Liam

posted on 15/3/02 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Helloooooo...

Wow this place has certainly changed since my last visit (when there were about 10 members). This is so much better than that email list. Nice to meet everyone.

Anyway - Dunc (nice brackets - taa muchly), I'm just trying to imagine fitting my V6 in...twice! Well as long as you dont want 4WD and inboard shocks, like me, then I reckon you can do it with close to standard dimensions. Most of my car is tight as a bikini on Pavaroti - in fact my motto ought to be "just enough space is enough space". Dont make it bigger if you don't really need to.

A V12 would be totally cool, and like you say, the thing will still weigh less than a tonne, i.e. less than any TVR (for example). Go for it.

Just make sure there is room for the twin turbo conversion later.

Call it something like the 'Genghis Kahn 5.3 Armageddon'

Happy building,

Liam

stephen_gusterson

posted on 15/3/02 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Since my aquisitions at the weekend the idea part of my head is in overdrive. I've been thinking of the ultimate road going seven.

along with A/C, P/S and electric seats for that snob effect.
Dunc.

How about using monster truck wheels too- it prob wouldnt look out of place

Dunc

posted on 15/3/02 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Twin turbo? what's wrong with totally over the top quad turbo? hehehehe.

Liam, I currently running around in a 2.9 v6 4x4 that I'm going to use as a car for my brother once the tax runs out at the end of May. It'll be a shame to cut it up as it's minted but the idea of fitting 4x4 tyres from a Trooper appeals to him. How have you managed to work the inboard shocks round the front driveshafts? I don't want to offset them because it might cause the bottom wishbone to twist.

Metal Hippy™

posted on 16/3/02 at 01:20 AM Reply With Quote
How about twin softer shocks either side of the driveshaft?

Just a random thought off the top of my head.

Maybe bike shocks?

President of the Non-conformist Locost Builders Club. E-mail for details...

Liam

posted on 16/3/02 at 01:39 AM Reply With Quote
Twins (turbos that is) will do me fine...seriously, on paper, a fairly simple 10psi system with two garret T2s (from a renault 5 turbo), and standard compression ratio, will give me 270bhp. I want 300 but that will require 12+ psi and a reduction in compression ratio over standard.

Regards inboard shocks...with a front axle in the way, the shocks can't be in the middle of the wishbones whether they are inboard or outboard - they have to be offset infront or behind the driveshafts. My main reason for putting them inboard is to give lots of wheel rate adjustment by having different shock mounting positions on the rocking-arm top wishbones.

Obviously, if you want to be really academic, of course my wishbones will have a twisting load with the offset coilovers, but being realistic, this is practically negligable in terms of affecting the handling of the car. Look at the back of an F1 car - the pushrods can't be central because of the rear driveshafts - so the rear wishbones in theory want to twist, like my fronts. Nothing you can do about it - not a big problem. If it's OK for McLaren, it's OK for me. You can bog yourself down in theory or you can suck it and see - I think I can learn more from the latter .

Happy building,

Liam

HAGGISBIKER

posted on 25/6/02 at 11:42 PM Reply With Quote
HI DUNK, 100% FOR THE V12....JUST GOT A FREE XJS V12 (DRIVING) WITH SHOT BODY...SOUNDS WICKED..OK..OK..BUST BACK-BOX BUT YEP I NEED TO TRY MAKING A KIT CAR FROM IT!
Dick Axtell

posted on 26/6/02 at 11:00 AM Reply With Quote
Hi HB,

V12 = loadsatorque, sure, but how will the chassis handle it? IRS from your donor, I assume, which should cope at the rear, and the diff being anchored to the chassis will "disguise" much of the torque effects. But it will still be there - I speak from experience with a certain manufacturer's prototype (where it was assumed that engine torque wouldn't be a problem, because there was a de Dion rear end).

Dick

Simon

posted on 26/6/02 at 11:18 AM Reply With Quote
Hi Folks,

I have, in the past, had two Rover V8 SD1's and a 3.9 Range Rover. On all the cars, if you blipped the throttle, the shell would rotate. It was only slight, but still noticeable. BMW's m/cycle twins were the same. Also, I fly r/c aircraft and you will find that aircraft roll in one direction, better than the other. All due to torque reaction. Only way to countact act is to have a contra-rotating shaft(same mass as crank) per, for e.g., BMW's K series bikes, or mount engine transversely.

ATB

Simon

Fatboy Dave

posted on 26/6/02 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
Well, on the subject of the Robin reliant, er, Hood, Iain Ayre went off roading in it when he realised you can't hurl a car with a 500lb engine in it around corners. He ripped an oil pipe off the sump, and had to be towed in. The car was still on the road for quite a while afterwards.......

Don't fancy a V12 Locost though. I have a twin turbo Rover V8 that I built for the equivalent of a ferry ticket to Le Mans, that gives me 220bhp and 300lb ft on about 5-6psi of boost, which I would rarther have over more cylinders any day..... (the correct compliment, in my book, is eight )

JM2p

Dave

Stop the planet, I want to get off

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Metal Hippy™

posted on 26/6/02 at 06:21 PM Reply With Quote
What's the standard bhp of the Rover V8 then?

We're now settled on using the BMW 3.5 big block six and that kicks out 218 as standard, 228 torque...

Rich.

UncleFista

posted on 26/6/02 at 06:40 PM Reply With Quote
Christ !

Theres bleeding loads of different versions, from the MOD version in my mates cab forward at 92bhp to fire breathing monsters in TVR's etc.

Basically, its all down to the depth of your wallet, same as most things

Tony Bond / UncleFista

Love is like a snowmobile, speeding across the frozen tundra.
Which suddenly flips, pinning you underneath.
At night the ice-weasels come...

Fatboy Dave

posted on 26/6/02 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nah Tony, the 101fc (forward control) had 135bhp, the Stage 1 Series 3 had 91, because LR fitted restricter plates between the carb and manifold.

Most 3.5 engines around these days are Range Rover spec (no SD1s left now), run on mostly Strombergs (crap), have 135bhp, low compression, and go on forever.

Beware of the later 9.25:1 engine from the RR, it was awful, thank christ it only made an appearance for three years :-(

SD1 3.5s are 150bhp, 3.9s on EFi are 190bhp, and 4.6s are 230bhp.

If you want turbos, which I did, the RR engine with it's 8.13:1 compression will happily take 12psi (300bhp )

Still less than the B*W though...

Dave

PLEASE NOTE: This user is a trader who has not signed up for the LocostBuilders registration scheme. If this post is advertising a commercial product or service, please report it by clicking here.

Metal Hippy™

posted on 26/6/02 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ok then, SD1 derivitive...?

Metal Hippy™

posted on 26/6/02 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Clicked about the same time...

Sorted.

Fatboy Dave

posted on 26/6/02 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ok then, SD1 derivitive...?

Blimey, talk about timing, see above....

Dave

Metal Hippy™

posted on 26/6/02 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
SNAP!!

Fatboy Dave

posted on 26/6/02 at 07:31 PM Reply With Quote
Nah, secretly spying through your monitor....

That and the fact I have nothing better to do after me tea than post here

Oh, and buy more V8s

Dave

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.