Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: putting different sized stub axle on tripod driveshaft
mads

posted on 16/9/12 at 05:06 PM Reply With Quote
putting different sized stub axle on tripod driveshaft

Afternoon all,
I've found that the nearside push-in sierra driveshaft I have has the wrong thread on the stub axle i.e. the nut turns to the back rather than the front of the car (no idea how this has happened). I have got a stub axle with the correct thread on it so want to swap this for the incorrect one.

Problem arises that the "right" stub axle came off a driveshaft where the metal casing cover around the joint was smaller (in diameter) than the one that is on the driveshaft that I am putting it on. Before I order a new casing and cut the one off, is this going to be an issue when I come to fit it together?

I have checked the number of splines and they are the same so not sure why they are two different sizes.

Cheers,

mads

[Edited on 16/9/12 by mads]

We gain knowledge faster than we do wisdom!

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

snapper

posted on 16/9/12 at 05:42 PM Reply With Quote
The push fit hubs are handed
Nearside right hand thread
Offside left hand thread
Both shafts are different lengths
The simple option is to buy a secondhand drive shaft
You won't get the stub axle off easily
To replace the stub and the tripod joint will be the same as buying a shaft
You could drill and split pin what you have

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

mads

posted on 16/9/12 at 06:04 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snapper
The push fit hubs are handed
Nearside right hand thread
Offside left hand thread
Both shafts are different lengths
The simple option is to buy a secondhand drive shaft
You won't get the stub axle off easily
To replace the stub and the tripod joint will be the same as buying a shaft
You could drill and split pin what you have

Yep, for some bizarre reason my nearside (shorter driveshaft) has a RIGHT hand thread rather than a left hand thread. Am considering buying a secondhand driveshaft but they are not cheap nowadays and I've already refurbed these so dont want to have to completely refurb another one.

The drill and split pinning could be an option, I assume it would be safe? Just dont like to have go this route if I can get the ends swapped over.

Edit: correction of what thread my NSR shaft has.

[Edited on 16/9/12 by mads]

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, thoroughly used, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming... "f*ck, what a trip!"

mark chandler

posted on 16/9/12 at 06:28 PM Reply With Quote
Mine had LHT on the NSR, RHT on OSR, would it not just be easier to buy the correct nut from ford? It sounds to me that what you have is correct.

If you think they are the wrong way around did you swap the ends over when refurbing?

Regards Mark

mads

posted on 16/9/12 at 06:44 PM Reply With Quote
I didn't do the refurb myself but I don't believe the ends were swapped over as the other side is OK.

Just noticed my reply above... my NSR has a RIGHT hand thread rather than the left hand which it should be.

clairetoo

posted on 16/9/12 at 07:46 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry , but I've read this thread three times now........and I admit to being confused

What thread do you have on the left of the car , and what thread do you have on the right of the car ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

mads

posted on 16/9/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Nearside: right hand thread

Off-side: right hand thread

clairetoo

posted on 16/9/12 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
So.....whoever re-furbished your driveshafts swapped your OS end for a NS end - can you not just take them back and get them to sort it out ?

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

mads

posted on 16/9/12 at 10:31 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by clairetoo
So.....whoever re-furbished your driveshafts swapped your OS end for a NS end - can you not just take them back and get them to sort it out ?

i assume you mean they have swapped my nearside for an offside end as the nearside should be a LH thread?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.