Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: R380 rebuild
rincewind23

posted on 19/9/12 at 12:14 PM Reply With Quote
R380 rebuild

Hi all,

Building a locost with a Rover v8 engine from a Disco. Got the engine running with a new microsquirt injection/ignition system, sounds lumpy but great! Now looking at the gearbox.
It's an R380 from eBay - obviously the bolts don't match the original bellhousing so I dismantled it and swapped in the input shaft from the original LT77, and the LT77 gear casing so that the box mates with the bellhousing. I managed to align everything (i think) correctly, so the spools are in the right place, and all the gears engage.

My problem is that without the gearcasing on, when I put it in gear on the bench, I can turn the input shaft and get the output to turn. When I fit the gearcasing, I can't get it to turn.

Is there anything obvious to check that I could have done wrong? It might not be obvious (ha!) but this is the first time I've dismantled a gearbox..

Cheers,
KEv.

scudderfish

posted on 19/9/12 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
I can't answer your question, but you might want to post it here http://www.v8forum.co.uk/forum/index.php as well.

Regards,
Dave

rincewind23

posted on 19/9/12 at 12:45 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Dave, I'll do that.
rincewind23

posted on 20/9/12 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
No reply at the v8 forum, but I looked at the LT77 overhaul manual (since the gearcase is from an LT77) and there's a section about shimming the mainshaft based on the gap behind the front cover gasket. When I removed the front cover, bolted the gear case and reattached the front cover I can get it down to about a 1mm gap before the shaft seizes. I'm off to get a gasket tomorrow and follow the shimming instructions..

All I need to do now is find an R380 remote gear selector mechanism, which apparently are as rare as hen's teeth since I can't find one anywhere!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.