Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Help needed regarding size
Sierra

posted on 20/9/12 at 08:23 PM Reply With Quote
Help needed regarding size

Hi guys just after some advice I'm looking for my first kit car and have seen a nice tiger avon for sale but is 500 miles away, problem is I'm just over 6 foot, 13 stone and size 11 feet and not sure if ill fit. How do you guys feel in yours and do you think I'd fit as don't want to make the trip up there only to find I won't fit.
austin man

posted on 20/9/12 at 09:25 PM Reply With Quote
should slip in, Paul Fisher is over 6ft he fits into an indy and a Stuart Taylor which is slightly smaller than an MK Indy

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

melly-g

posted on 21/9/12 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
You'll probably struggle to get comfy! I'm not 6ft and its a bit short for me on long trips!
Where are you based? someone closeby may have one you could have a sit in to check!

[Edited on 21/9/12 by melly-g]

Sierra

posted on 21/9/12 at 08:02 AM Reply With Quote
I'm in watford hertfordshire. I've read about changing the pedals to floor mounted ones for extra room but any idea how much that would cost
Sierra

posted on 23/9/12 at 03:30 PM Reply With Quote
Well thanks to Stuart for letting me try his Indy for size so I've now got a good idea of what does/doesn't fit.
It was a perfect fit in his mk and I measured the back of the seat to pedals were 1100mm which is 100mm more than what there is in the tiger I want to buy.
Question now is where can I gain upto 100mm from, seats are odyssey seats so maybe there and pedals are sierra ones so many cut and bend them.
Does anyone know how much I'd gain from using the plastic seats and how much from the pedals?

austin man

posted on 23/9/12 at 04:33 PM Reply With Quote
Plastic / Fibreglass seats are around 5mm thick most then have a 8 - 10mm pad added for comfort Kirkey seats give a bigger space saving and can be marginally wider too

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

greenwood03

posted on 25/9/12 at 08:29 AM Reply With Quote
also to consider as a possible positive is that its likely that a f/glass seat may get you sitting a tint bit lower, so the angle to the pedals would be different....and potentially better for you.
if you register on teh Tiger forum there's a guy on there David T who finished his own Avon earlier this year - no idea exactly how tall he is but he's def more than 6ft ( that said leg lengths then come into play )....and he fits on into his, not sure if he has floormounted.

cost to put in floormounted....depends if you're doing it yourself.....the actual box will be anything from about £175 to £300. relatively simple job to cut out the existing arrangement, and reinstate the new one.

http://southernkitcars.comIntermarque Club for owners in the South/South East

twybrow

posted on 25/9/12 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
I am 6' 6" (36" inside leg), 13.5 stone, and size 11s so at 6' you will be fine (stumpy!). I tried a number of kits, and found that the seat/pedal combo was the key to a good fit. I own a Stuart Taylor, with GRP seats, and floor mounted pedals, and I fit. It will never be as comfy as a tin top, as these are small cars, but you can make it work. When I built mine, I built it with my size/shape in mind, but it really wont be that hard to change bits to make it suit you. I will be changing to a small diameter steering wheel this winter, as I find my hands hit my knees when putting on steering lock - a smaller wheel would fix this.

When I did the rounds at the kit car shows, I could comfortably fit in the Avon (with floor mounted pedals), the Indy and the Striker (which is very small). The key is to think about getting yourself as far back, and as low as possible in the chassis - to be honest, I am also tempted to ditch the seats all together, and just sit on some basic foam on the floor (further back, and lower, and best of all super light weight!).

The only other point to think about is the height of the roll bar - mine is borderline to be honest. In an ideal world, I would have it a couple of inches taller, as by the time I put a helmet on, I am getting close to the line between the front of the car and the top of the roll bar - I don't much fancy bouncing my head along the road if I were to roll! Again, a lower seat would help here (mine is on seat runners, which does raise it by 25mm or so). It never fails to amuse me seeing other peoples reaction, when I unfold myself from my car - I don't think people believe there can be that much leg hidden away!

Finally, rejoice in the fact that we are just more evolved than some of our more vertically challenged friends on here

Sierra

posted on 25/9/12 at 11:27 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the reply its filled me with a bit more confidence. I'm happy to say that I have purchased a tiger avon and just need to get her home, I'll be looking for anyone or garage that can help with the fitting of floor mounted pedals as I don't think I'll be able to do it myself. As the car is already fully built it may be abut harder.
whitestu

posted on 25/9/12 at 01:42 PM Reply With Quote
Well done!

You'll have to take me for a spin when you get it - It will be intersting to see what difference the blower makes!

Cheers

Stu

Sierra

posted on 26/9/12 at 09:40 PM Reply With Quote
Yes no problem stu and thanks again for your help, I'll let you take her for a spin to see what you think

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.