Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Locost with trailer coupling
Pistensau

posted on 14/9/04 at 08:46 AM Reply With Quote
Locost with trailer coupling

Hey
has anyone built a locost with trailer coupling?
is it possible?

rudi

twinturbo

posted on 14/9/04 at 08:48 AM Reply With Quote
Do you mean to tow a trailer..

Or do you mean to latch teh locost onto the back of your Family estate when going on holls...

Either is possible..

I am planning on doing the latter.. And I guess that it could easily be made to act either way..

TT

mackie

posted on 14/9/04 at 08:56 AM Reply With Quote
I saw a massive mobile home towing a fiat cinqueceno tender-boat style the other day, first time I'd seen anything like it.
To do it on a locost i guess you'd just need a strong a-frame that you can pin or bolt to the front of the chassis (with some rodends maybe) and a bit suitable for a tow hitch. I'm guessing you'd probably want to hook into the locost's loom for rear lights too, that could be interesting.

As for a trailer for a locost, that could be fun too but then you much stuff do you really need to take to lemans with you

Rob Lane

posted on 14/9/04 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
I've seen two Locosts and three Robin Hoods fitted with towbars.

However your towing capacity is limited by the weight of the Locost and by law, although not sure what it is.

A small 5x4 trailer is probably it's limit.

Peteff

posted on 14/9/04 at 10:03 AM Reply With Quote
5x4 isn't small.

That would be big on a locost. I have one that size which regularly carries 1/2 ton of stuff which is approximately the weight of my car. It would have to be braked to use it on the locost.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

mackie

posted on 14/9/04 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I was thinking of something more like this:

You could make it a bit wider, about as high as the top of the rear panel and give it looks that fit in with the rest of the car. It would be a cool project if you intend to do a lot of touring in your locost.

Pistensau

posted on 14/9/04 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
Yes, it´s great.
but the towing car must be a seven, and the trailer is the rear of seven.
"mother-in-law-seat"

has anyone pics?

rudi

Rob Lane

posted on 14/9/04 at 02:02 PM Reply With Quote
Pete it was a guess at the size. Probably 3x3 then eh?
RoadkillUK

posted on 14/9/04 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
I think you are allowed to tow 1/2 of the cars weight with an unbraked trailer. This includes the trailer.

Roadkill - Lee
www.bradford7.co.uk
Latest Picture (14 Sept 2014)

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
andyps

posted on 14/9/04 at 08:21 PM Reply With Quote
I was wondering about at least including some metalwork on which a towing bracket could be mounted at a later stage if I wanted. The only thing that had occured to me is that every tow bar i have fitted to a car has been made out of much heavier tubing than the locost chassis which makes me wonder whether this would be really necessary!

Andy

An expert is someone who knows more and more about less and less

wilkingj

posted on 15/9/04 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RoadkillUK
I think you are allowed to tow 1/2 of the cars weight with an unbraked trailer. This includes the trailer.

Max towed weight is 750Kgs with NO brakes on the trailer. This is ANY trailer, and INCLUDES a towed car on an A frame. If the towed Locost weighs more than 750 kgs you need a A Frame that has an overrun brake, which is coupled to the locost brakes, ie a cable to the footpedal will do it. I saw a Suzuki 4x4 on the back of a winnebago like this, had a long chat with the owner about it..

Max Weight to be towed by a vehicle is set by the manufacturer, and is in the handbook as "Max braked trailer towing limit" which is usually about 100% of the car weiight. My Land Rover weighs in at 2950 Kgs max weight (on plate) Hand book says my Max braked trailer limit is 3.5 Tons with overrun brakes and 4.0 tons with Close coupled ie directly coupled air / hydraulic brakes, that means hyrdaulic pipes from the vehicle not overrun caravan type / hitch arangement.

So it does not have to be less than the towing vehicle, and depends on the manufacturer's design spec.

However, to remain sensible the 100% is a good guide, as the AA, RAC Caravan club etc, all state 85% which does make for safer towing... I know I have done a bit of 100% towing with a caravan... did it for a year.. and then bought a Land Rover!.. its 1000% better despite it being a bit Agricultural for the comfort factor!.

Geoffw

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
locoboy

posted on 15/9/04 at 12:01 PM Reply With Quote
many of my biker friends tour with a trailer and they have no issues with it at all, one of them even tows a small trailer tent behind his yammy XJR1200 - looks most bizzare!

I would like to have the provision to attach a small trailer to my car in the furure because i plan on doing plenty of camping etc.

I drew up some plans some time ago to retro fit a tow bar to my F27 which wuld be covered by the spare wheel on the back when not in use - cant find them though

[Edited on 15/9/04 by colmaccoll]

ATB
Locoboy

Pistensau

posted on 15/9/04 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
thats the idea (not a "rembrandt"

cheers

wilkingj

posted on 16/9/04 at 05:42 AM Reply With Quote
I have asked Luego to fit up a bracket for a towball on the Viento I have on order. I too only want a small trailer. I would suspect that the strengthening needs to go through the boot area to the Main chassis area. This is probably fairly easy on a IRS back end, but maybe not so easy on a live axle back end.
I want a small camping trailer for weekends away with the Wife.

A small trailer will not need brakes if its max weight is under 750Kgs. Which it will be. I would also not want it to exceed the car weight. I have not spoken with Luego about the spec of "Max Braked Trailer towing limit" which is in most cars handbooks.

However as you are the manufacturer of your Locosts, you may be able to do your own thing.

Personally I would not want a (loaded) trailer to weigh more than 85% of the car, as this is the AA, RAC, Caravan Clubs reccomended Max. The max weight is down to the design of the vehicle and stipulated by the manufacturer. I dont know how this stands with a Locost.

What ever you do, make it strong and SAFE. Launching a 500Kg trailer down the fast Lane of a motorway, is bound to cause an accident. Also with a light car, you dont want to jack-knife or roll your pride an joy due to having too much weight behind you, or due to the towing point tearing out as its not strong enough or poorly designed.

What I am trying to say is take great care, as you could be fabricating a major problem if you get it wrong.
I am sure you all realise this, but I feel it has to be brought to the surface. I am not a trained engineer either, but think 10 times - build once (and correctly!). Take professional advice if need be. Its cheaper than your life! (or someone elses)

Safe towing to you all!.

GeoffW

1. The point of a journey is not to arrive.
2. Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Best Regards
Geoff
http://www.v8viento.co.uk

Hugh Jarce

posted on 16/9/04 at 08:23 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Pistensau
....the trailer is the rear of seven.
"mother-in-law-seat"

If it's just for the mother-in-law, surely a couple of bungee cords would hold her onto the back of the Locost.
I know her head and feet wouldn't aid the aerodynamics (but yours may be one of the really short wizzened old grannies).

The pay isn't very good , but the work's hard.

Pistensau

posted on 16/9/04 at 12:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Hugh Jarce
quote:
Originally posted by Pistensau
....the trailer is the rear of seven.
"mother-in-law-seat"

If it's just for the mother-in-law, surely a couple of bungee cords would hold her onto the back of the Locost.
I know her head and feet wouldn't aid the aerodynamics (but yours may be one of the really short wizzened old grannies).

but it´s much easier to open the coupling to lose her

[Edited on 16/9/04 by Pistensau]

DarrenW

posted on 16/9/04 at 01:56 PM Reply With Quote
I live close to Witton Castle near Bishop Auckland (Co. Durham). Last week saw the annual meet of the MAG (Motorcycle action group) for the 2004 Stormin the Castle. I observed several Goldwings and custom trikes that were towing trailers. One of which was a trike that was towing a trailer tent (posh camping). I guess that would give some idea of average towing weights that could be applied to a locost. I saw a few of these travelling on the A1 where there was a heavy police presence.

It makes a lot of sense to be able to tow a small trailer that could give boot capacity for camping holidays or ability to take some luggage. The trailer would not therefore need to be too large - something like the small ones sold by Halfords that appear to be fairly lightweight with aluminium bodies - altough a locost rear body on a lightweight frame would look so much more fitting. Im no towing expert but would suggest less than 85% would be sensible as there is no weight in the back of a locost. Even 60 - 70% would allow a lot of scope for luggage etc.

If anyone comes up with an idea for attaching the tow bar i'd be interested to see it.

Darren.

Danozeman

posted on 17/9/04 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Shuv ya mother in law on a skate board holding a bit of rope. She'l soon let go..

Ive thought of adding a trailer too. Only a small one probably the back end replica jobbie.
Ive seen loads of minis like it and even an old meastro van!!

Dan

Built the purple peril!! Let the modifications begin!!

http://www.eastangliankitcars.co.uk

Pistensau

posted on 17/9/04 at 10:10 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
I live close to Witton Castle near Bishop Auckland (Co. Durham). Last week saw the annual meet of the MAG (Motorcycle action group) for the 2004 Stormin the Castle. I observed several Goldwings and custom trikes that were towing trailers. One of which was a trike that was towing a trailer tent (posh camping). I guess that would give some idea of average towing weights that could be applied to a locost. I saw a few of these travelling on the A1 where there was a heavy police presence.

It makes a lot of sense to be able to tow a small trailer that could give boot capacity for camping holidays or ability to take some luggage. The trailer would not therefore need to be too large - something like the small ones sold by Halfords that appear to be fairly lightweight with aluminium bodies - altough a locost rear body on a lightweight frame would look so much more fitting. Im no towing expert but would suggest less than 85% would be sensible as there is no weight in the back of a locost. Even 60 - 70% would allow a lot of scope for luggage etc.

If anyone comes up with an idea for attaching the tow bar i'd be interested to see it.

Darren.

Hi @all
i found this pic on other site

only the trailer must be in other design.

cheers
benno

Steve Hnz

posted on 17/9/04 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
Thought that this from Les Newells site might be useful http://www.lnewell.free-online.co.uk/Chassis.html

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.