Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Cordless Drill Opinions
andylancaster3000

posted on 28/9/12 at 01:02 PM Reply With Quote
Cordless Drill Opinions

Sick of messing around with cheap cordless drills so would like to spend a bit more money on something. I think I want 18v, not fussed by hammer action (but not a problem if it has it) and not too brand conscious. Not made my mind up about the 1x Li-ion battery or multiple Ni-Cads either.

I've set myself a £100 limit...

Have found these and want to know peoples opinions and thoughts:

Makita:
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drilling-screwdriving/drilling/cordless/Makita-8391DWPE-18V-Combi-Drill-2-Batteries-10798552?icamp=tab_top_nom3

Bosch:
http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-18-2-li-18v-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/76997

De Walt
http://www.screwfix.com/p/dewalt-dc100ka-gb-18v-1-3ah-ni-cd-cordless-combi-drill/73596?cm_sp=Homepage-_-Slide-_-DC100

cheers!

andy

andylancaster3000

posted on 28/9/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Then again, are the 14.4v tools that much less powerful? I'm not going to be doing a vast amount of heavy/DIY type stuff with it.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/bosch-gsb-14-4-2-li-14-4v-1-3ah-li-ion-cordless-combi-drill/25293

[Edited on 28/9/12 by andylancaster3000]

twybrow

posted on 28/9/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
I have option 3 on your list - the 18v DeWalt, and it is great. Bought it as my last DeWalt drill (heavily abused 14.4v) didn't have a hammer action, and then the charger went pop. It was nearly as cheap to buy the whole new drill as it was to replace a charger, so now I have both drills and a working charger and am a happy bunny! Screwfix were also doing the Lithium version for about £30 more on a special offer - maybe worth looking at as they are much lighter....
Davey D

posted on 28/9/12 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
Ive got the older 18v XRP dewalt hammer drill, and i think its a great bit of kit, loads of torque, but it is a bit heavy. Ive used some newer models of 18v drills, not the dewalt though, and i dont think they are a touch on my old dewalt. I dont know what that dewalt will be like as it is a lower spec model
Charlie_Zetec

posted on 28/9/12 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
DeWalt would be my choice - great little package! I've got 2 of them, one I leave for drilling and the other to use as a driver. Never had any problems with mine, and they've been going for a few years now (one with love, the other less so....)

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity!

deezee

posted on 28/9/12 at 01:31 PM Reply With Quote
You can get a Hitachi 18v Li-on from Screwfix / B&Q, with 2 batteries for under £100 now. Built my car with mine. Batteries don't suffer memory effect like crap Ni-Cads and they don't have that dreadful slow down. If I could only recommend one thing, its don't get a Ni-Cad drill. You'll regret it after 6 months.

Screwfix - Hitatchi 18V Li-on Combi Drill

whitestu

posted on 28/9/12 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

You can get a Hitachi 18v Li-on from Screwfix / B&Q, with 2 batteries for under £100 now. Built my car with mine. Batteries don't suffer memory effect like crap Ni-Cads and they don't have that dreadful slow down. If I could only recommend one thing, its don't get a Ni-Cad drill. You'll regret it after 6 months.

These are great - B&Q also have them for £99. Hitachi power tools are very good.

mcerd1

posted on 28/9/12 at 02:11 PM Reply With Quote
if you want it to last Makita every time
my dad has 3 makita ones, even the ancient 9v ni-cad one is still going strong (although his 18v one is the dogs b***ks)

De Walt and even Bosch arn't as good as they used to be

-

cliftyhanger

posted on 28/9/12 at 02:36 PM Reply With Quote
That Hitachi looks a good bit of kit. Don't underestimate the usefulness of 2 batteries.
And a 13mm chuch does come in handy.

I recently had my trusty bosch drill die on me (in fact both batteries, uneconomical to replace, and 7 years old) and bought http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drilling-screwdriving/drilling/cordless/-specificproducttype-combination_drills/Bosch-18v-Li-Combi-Drill-2-Batt eries-11227751
but it was £85 at the time. been very happy with it (except it only has a 10mm chuck, so no good for a holesaw until I modified the mandrel for one )
The little led lights to illuminate where you are drill/driving is actually quite handy too, especially when working in dark corners and lofts etc. Mine has seen a fair bit of action since I have owned it, hammer drill is OK for most stuff, the whole thing is light and easy to use. Not many downsides.
I suspect that hitachi to be just as good, possibly better and teh proper sized chuck. Would be my choice every day.

stevebubs

posted on 28/9/12 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
I have the Bosch Li-Ion 18v one. Fantastic bit of kit and comes with 2 batteries.

Keep an eye out for when it's on offer ... mine came in at <£90...

ETA - looks like it's on offer now..

http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drilling-screwdriving/drilling/cordless/Bosch-18v-Li-Combi-Drill-2-Batteries-11227751

Done all sorts with it from Drilling Metal on the Fury to putting up domestic shelves..

[Edited on 28/9/12 by stevebubs]

tegwin

posted on 28/9/12 at 03:12 PM Reply With Quote
I have a Makita Lipo one (comes in a really good metal case too)..

Has taken some serious SERIOUS abuse and still going strong.

Had a faulty battery that died 11 months after I purchased it.. quick call to makita and they sent me a new one, no questions asked! Cant fault that for service.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

andylancaster3000

posted on 28/9/12 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the responses guys.

Went and handled a few in screw fix (bosch, hitachi and de walt) and went for a Li-ion De Walt. Little bit more than I wanted to pay but there we go. Seems like a very good bit of kit!

Have I made the wrong choice?! Might not use it for a few hrs just in case I have a change of heart!

[Edited on 28/9/12 by andylancaster3000]

Phil.J

posted on 28/9/12 at 04:04 PM Reply With Quote
18V Dewalt for me, Bought it off Ebay as reconditioned but it appeared to be brand new. With a spare battery it was about £70-ish.
Had it for 3 years now, hard use and it is still great. Wouldn't hesitate to buy another.

stevegough

posted on 28/9/12 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
Another vote for Hitachi - I have a reasonably new twin pack Makita sat in the garage - now unusable as the two Ni-Cads are finished. Replacements are more than a new pack of drills.

Go for Hitachi and Li-Ion.

Luego Locost C20XE.
Build start: October 6th 2008.
IVA passed Jan 28th 2011.
First drive Feb 10th 2011.
First show: Stoneleigh 1st/2nd May 2011.
'Used up' first engine may 3rd 2011!
Back on the road with 2nd engine may 24th
First PASA mad drive 26/7/11
Sold to Mike in Methyr Tydvil 19/03/14

adam1985

posted on 28/9/12 at 05:25 PM Reply With Quote
Makita lithium ion batteries are useless look on ebay how many faulty ones are for sale
I had one stop working after 14 months makita werent interested so brought another, shortly after drill was stolen.
Got the same drill for a replacement this battery lasted 10 months makita replaced the battery but i now just use
this drill for dusty rough work and wont get another makita again.

Had a old dewalt 24v sds that was good and got a few little bosch 10.8v which are good little drills

My new drill is a hilti 22v its got serious power and well built sends 32mm augers through joists easy

JoelP

posted on 28/9/12 at 05:48 PM Reply With Quote
Depends what you want from a drill really. Non of those will be great at drilling into bricks. The makita one used to be available with 3 batteries for £50, which is IMHO the greatest ever offer on a drill. I had a few and they lasted 3 years til stolen, of daily trade use.

Down side with the bosch is the 10mm chuck, which is just plain annoying, unless you never use a holesaw.

My old dewalt xrp drill was too heavy to use all day, but was powerful enough to turn a plaster mixing paddle on occation.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

SteveWalker

posted on 28/9/12 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
my dad has 3 makita ones, even the ancient 9v ni-cad one is still going strong (although his 18v one is the dogs b***ks)

From what I have been reading elsewhere, Makitas aren't as good as they used to be either. The higher end is still excellent, but the lower end is just trading on the name and can be pretty poor quality. I have read of a number of failures just out of warranty and some people having to return a few brand new ones before they get an okay one.

JoelP

posted on 28/9/12 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by SteveWalker
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1

From what I have been reading elsewhere, Makitas aren't as good as they used to be either. The higher end is still excellent, but the lower end is just trading on the name and can be pretty poor quality. I have read of a number of failures just out of warranty and some people having to return a few brand new ones before they get an okay one.

The same can be said of both bosch and dewalt though. Ive had a 14.4 bosch (the green amateur one) break twice within a few months, and the cheap dewalt ones look shite too.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

ashg

posted on 28/9/12 at 08:25 PM Reply With Quote
haha im a serial drill killer.

i have an 18v lipo hitachi(screwfix £100 one and newest) seems good but hasn't got any more torque than my old lower voltage 14.4v bosch and the hammer function is just laughable.

14.4v bosch pro with three batteries and 20min charger. its an older lipo one but has lasted three years and two two car builds, the batteries still hold charge like new. finally killed the gearbox using it down a manhole with a 50mm 400mm long core drill as i couldnt fit the sds down there)

finally an 18v lipo makita.. the makita its a fab drill and you just cant kill it but the body is bigger than the bosch and just doesnt fit into the tight spots on a car chassis like the bosch did.

out of all of them the makita is the best drill, it has bags more torque and is just a joy to use but then it was £300 where as the bosch was £150 and the hitachi was £100.

at the end of the day you get what you pay for. is the makita £150 better than the bosch? simply put no... but it is better.

the interesting thing now is with the new lipo batteries it seems to be the drill that dies before the batteries.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

deltron63

posted on 28/9/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by twybrow
I have option 3 on your list - the 18v DeWalt, and it is great. Bought it as my last DeWalt drill (heavily abused 14.4v) didn't have a hammer action, and then the charger went pop. It was nearly as cheap to buy the whole new drill as it was to replace a charger, so now I have both drills and a working charger and am a happy bunny! Screwfix were also doing the Lithium version for about £30 more on a special offer - maybe worth looking at as they are much lighter....

+1

loggyboy

posted on 28/9/12 at 09:33 PM Reply With Quote
Bought this at the start of my build (when on offer for about £80,and 2 batteries) and its been spot on.
http://www.diy.com/nav/fix/power-tools/drilling-screwdriving/drilling/Bosch-Lithium-Ion-Drill-Driver-Li-14-4V-12317532?skuId=12838238

[Edited on 28-9-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

skodaman

posted on 28/9/12 at 09:45 PM Reply With Quote
Got one of the 99.99 De Walt one's from screwfix which is fine for what I use it for (not drilling walls) but also got a humungous Makita mains one for anything serious.

Skodaman

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
richardR1

posted on 28/9/12 at 11:24 PM Reply With Quote
Having come across most of these as a builder i would definitely go with the Bosch Pro range, they are night and day different to the green Bosch hobby range. I have got the 18v Bosch pro Li-ion with 2 batteries for heavy duty work and was so impressed have got the 14.4v version with 2 batteries as in your second post. The batteries last extremely well for their rating and i have just plasterboarded a 13m x 9m ceiling with 75mm plasterboard screws and it has banged in 1800 screws with no effort and as it the lightest 14.4v around no aching arms from working overhead. Workmate was a DeWalt fanboy but build quality and batteries not a patch on the Bosch and now he will always try to nab my Bosch when he can

MK Owners Club Member 1015

BenB

posted on 29/9/12 at 06:53 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by whitestu
quote:

These are great - B&Q also have them for £99. Hitachi power tools are very good.

I'd also recommend these. I've got two and the Hitachi circular saw. Really nice tools. Definitely go for the lithium versions, the nicads don't like high power usage for any period of time. For the circular saw I had to get a bigger battery pack, the drill size lithium packs didn't like the high amps used by the saw.

NigeEss

posted on 29/9/12 at 09:21 AM Reply With Quote
Bosch every time for me. My professional 14v is over 15 years old and still going, although the NiCads are
not as good as they were. The 5 year old Makita is on its second motor (replaced under warranty), its
second chuck and one of the batteries lasted died completey after just two years. Would never buy another.

DeWalt is owned by Stanley Black and Decker conglomerate and is nowhere as good as it used to be.

I would consider a Hitachi though.

Time is an illusion. Lunchtime doubly so.................Douglas Adams.

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.