Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: J15/Riot wheel choice
Beardy

posted on 2/10/12 at 12:32 AM Reply With Quote
J15/Riot wheel choice

Regarding wheel choice for a Middy.

The J15 requires FWD offset ET35-38 postive with a ford pcd 4x 108mm (4 1/4)
I am looking at using the Wilwood 4 pots on the front and would like to run lightweight 13s.

Can the builders and owners of these cars chime in with what wheels they currently use and the front brake setup?
thanks
Beardy

theprisioner

posted on 2/10/12 at 08:43 AM Reply With Quote
J15

I was planning on using 17" wheels as they are the same as all my other wheels on a Westfield (trarck tyres etc). I have just installed Willwood 4 pots on the front and believe 13" would fit the front. I believe the back hub assembly is an issue (with 13" wheels) as it uses the recommended Hydra OEM calipers from Rally Design (Jeremy told me this) however not actually tried it.

I have seen a car with 13" and they look fab:

http://youtu.be/r_IwNYjZRhU

Paul C I think his name is you can always email him and ask what brakes he fitted to the rear. I looked at fitting VW Golf Mk4 calipers that are smaller but baulked at the reengineering required. I think you would have to make new lugs and weld them on to the hub carrier. Best of luck with fitting 13's. Please let me know how you get on?

nickm

posted on 2/10/12 at 07:04 PM Reply With Quote
Hi
Offset and PCD are i think correct, i have 15x7 on front and rear with hi-spec 4 pots with a 232 disc as a caterham fit.
On the rear i have the Compbrakes OEM Audi calipers at £98 including pads with the same wheels. All Team Dynamic Pro-Sport which are the lightest/cheapest i liked.

Nick M

monkeyarms

posted on 7/10/12 at 10:30 AM Reply With Quote
Just to add to this thread, I have 185/55/14 on et38 - over ford capri/seirra calipers.

I will point out that i tried 185/60/14 and the tire fouled on the fronts on half steering lock, so pick wheel+tire size carefully you J15 builders

Jenko

posted on 8/10/12 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
I always intended on going 13 inch with my build:

185/60/13 front
205/60/13 rear

But sounds like I needs to wait before I purchase any wheels.

On my Old westfield I had Wilwood powerlites on a 260mm disc with 13inch compmotive CXR's. So, assuming you have the standard J15 Triumph uprights with the 232mm disc, I could see no reason they would not fit.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

Beardy

posted on 8/10/12 at 04:07 PM Reply With Quote
I was looking to use the Powerlite and the standard plain disc option (whatever that is), however, not sure how that may or may not be impacted by the et38 wheels compared to the Caterham/westfield etc with a different offset.
rdodger

posted on 8/10/12 at 05:44 PM Reply With Quote
I have 260mm vented discs with midilight calipers behind 13" et38 1.2's

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.