Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: UPVC Window Hinges
Mark Allanson

posted on 14/10/12 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
UPVC Window Hinges

I need to buy some replacement hinges for UPVC windows as listed url=http://www.screwfix.com/p/era-crusader-friction-window-hinge-side-hung-311-x-13-5mm-pack-of-2/89305#product_additional_details_container]here[/url ] , but I am not sure which size. I am guessing the 13.5mm is the metal width, my question where is the 311mm measurement taken from?[

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/10/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
well the hyperlink didnt work! try here ]again[/url]

If you can keep you head, whilst all others around you are losing theirs, you are not fully aware of the situation

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/10/12 at 07:38 PM Reply With Quote
bolx to hyperlinks!

Minicooper

posted on 14/10/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
Screwfix Link
austin man

posted on 14/10/12 at 08:02 PM Reply With Quote
The 311 is the length of the hinge, as a rule a 12" or 311mm hinge is suitable for a 600mm wide side opening sash window

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Mark Allanson

posted on 14/10/12 at 08:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by austin man
The 311 is the length of the hinge, as a rule a 12" or 311mm hinge is suitable for a 600mm wide side opening sash window

The length of the hinge being the vertical part fixed to the frame? Measured top to bottom or the fixing screw centres?

austin man

posted on 14/10/12 at 08:32 PM Reply With Quote
the overall closed length is generally 12" or 311mm if fitted to a side opening window

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

hector

posted on 14/10/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Hi the 13mm refers to the thickness of the friction stay (hinge), there are also 17mm thick stays, you need to meaasure what ones you have! because your window wont operate with the incorrect thickness hinges.
Also if its a bedroom make sure you get fire egress hinges, they open the full width if the window allowing easier exit in case of fire!!

cheers Colin

snapper

posted on 15/10/12 at 06:23 AM Reply With Quote
311 will be the hinge size not centres
You should measure your hinges and compare to Screwfix
There are not many sizes, most manufacturers use standard hinges
As the windows are plastic fitting hinges with different centres wouldn't be an issue but like you I would prefer a direct replacement if I were doing it
I believe regs also state that you may need a fire hinge down stairs if you have to pass through another room to escape
In my case an extention build had a sitting room accessed through a lounge which had the fire exit through a porch door and front door, to many doors, put a fire hint on the sitting room windows said the man from the council.

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

hector

posted on 15/10/12 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
If its a bedroom then all new windows HAVE to have fire escapes, some people i fit for have the whole house full of windows with fire escapes- its just peace of mind really.
They are not much more expensive than regular hinges so its worthwhile doing

cheers

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.