Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone decomissioned an airbag?.
Jenko

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone decomissioned an airbag?.

Just removed the steering column from a puma to use on my build....But unsure how to remove the wheel (which has an airbag). Anyone done this?....and how?.

thanks.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

sheepish0001

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:36 AM Reply With Quote
Ive done a few Pugs's all seem to have two torx bolts that you access from behind the wheel to unbolt the airbag then take it off and disconect its wires.

Hope it helps

Sheep

AndyW

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
We used to "decomission" them but that was probably before there were rules and procedures!

Fun was had!!

Just make sure you disconnect the battery and allow enough time for the system to fully loose its charge. I would not take one off unless the battery had been off for at least half an hour.

not like this....

link to airbag

[Edited on 16/10/12 by AndyW]

Jenko

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:53 AM Reply With Quote
Cheers guys.....Battery has been out of the car for a month now, so no worries there........I'm guessing once removed the crash pad can be replaced, and this is good for IVA?.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

jollygreengiant

posted on 16/10/12 at 10:00 AM Reply With Quote
Just remember, there is a GOOD reason that airbags are legally classed as a CLASS 1 explosive device. Also that the most common injury during car accidents where airbags deploy is that of driver has both wrists broken.

But I agree with above, diconect battery, walk away from the vehicle for at least an hour. Undo/remove screws to side or rear of steering wheel (usually torx, but could equally be Tamper proof Torx), pull airbag unit off of wheel and disconnect cables. Place airbag in secure place away from people/animals/heat/electricity.

Oh and should you sell the thing on, then legally it should be transported in armoured vehicle.

[Edited on 16/10/12 by jollygreengiant]

Beware of the Goldfish in the tulip mines. The ONLY defence against them is smoking peanut butter sandwiches.

robinj66

posted on 16/10/12 at 10:46 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jollygreengiant

Oh and should you sell the thing on, then legally it should be transported in armoured vehicle.

[Edited on 16/10/12 by jollygreengiant]

Something I never thought about before - how do you dispose of the unwanted airbag? Seems a bit dangerous to take it down the tip or to sell it on.

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/10/12 at 11:03 AM Reply With Quote
as my wife is pregers I was wanting to discontect the airbags on both sides in her car (sometimes I drive) it's a Zafira, any idea on the best way to disable it?

[Edited on 16/10/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
bi22le

posted on 16/10/12 at 11:15 AM Reply With Quote
Disconnect the battery and leave for about an hour. Mean while undo the shroud around the back of the steering wheel. When the time has passed undo a plug that has all yellow wiring. It will be obvious.

Dont start disconnect the air bag untill it is unplugged. If there is no access to a plug then look further down the loom
once unplugged it will not go off.

a little tip with getting a steering wheel off. Get the air bag off and expose the main bolt holding the wheel on. Undo the bolt until finger tight. Dont take the bolt completly off. Then sit in the drivers seat and keep yanking hard at the wheel untill it comes loose. You can do this safe in the knowledge your not going to smash your face in with the wheel!!

Easy.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

bi22le

posted on 16/10/12 at 11:17 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
as my wife is pregers I was wanting to discontect the airbags on both sides in her car (sometimes I drive) it's a Zafira, any idea on the best way to disable it?

Check the owners manual but there should be a key hole in the glove box to turn all that gubbins off. Meant for rear facing baby seat i think.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

RichardK

posted on 16/10/12 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
I believe Mookaloids done a couple !

Gallery updated 11/01/2011

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
40inches

posted on 16/10/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I "disarmed" mine with a 12volt battery and a very long lead, I also cut the bag with a Stanley knife first, there was an impressive amount of white powder in the air after the bang.

JAMSTER

posted on 16/10/12 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
take a look here thy maybe able to help pmsl

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HcbAjopKLOs

mookaloid

posted on 16/10/12 at 01:44 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RichardK
I believe Mookaloids done a couple !

Thanks mate - Drop me in it why don't you?

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Mr Whippy

posted on 16/10/12 at 02:33 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:

Check the owners manual but there should be a key hole in the glove box to turn all that gubbins off. Meant for rear facing baby seat i think.

hmm interesting thanks, I shall have a look around an see if there's something like that would be handy if there is

ta

loggyboy

posted on 16/10/12 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by bi22le
quote:

hmm interesting thanks, I shall have a look around an see if there's something like that would be handy if there is

ta

You can only do the passenger side (for a rearward facing car seat). A drivers airbag cant be simply switched off. (well i guess you could try just pulling the plug out the back!)

Dont worry too much about them, they explode upwards towards the face, the bump will be quite safe!

Mistral Motorsport

I predict a Riot

posted on 16/10/12 at 03:42 PM Reply With Quote
I used a Puma wheel on my build and through IVA with it.

Feel behind the spokes of the wheel and you will find two discreet holes, I think the two bolts were 7 or 8mm tork type.

You should be able to lift off the front pad now and be able to see the metal frame holding the air bag.

As said previously leave overnight if possible before removing the bag or wiring.

Not sure of the correct way to dispose of it, I put 12volts on it with a dustbin lid on top way down the garden.

If you intend to use the wheel and pad again you will have to replace the fixing bolts for shorter ones as with the air bag removed the front pad is loose otherwise.

"Honesty is a very expensive gift. Do not expect it from cheap people ". Warren Buffet on Expectation

40inches

posted on 16/10/12 at 06:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by I predict a Riot

If you intend to use the wheel and pad again you will have to replace the fixing bolts for shorter ones as with the air bag removed the front pad is loose otherwise.

I bonded the pad onto the frame, after removing the spent charge, used the original bolts

coyoteboy

posted on 16/10/12 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
The most common injury with airbags is abrasions. Some people are seriously injured but almost always because they are either crossing hands while the bag fires or already slumped at the wheel due to other causes or not wearing a belt. I believe most of the serious injuries are from the US where the airbag force is a lot higher due to more common situation of not using a belt there.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.