Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Brake Pressure Valve
bodger

posted on 17/10/12 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
Brake Pressure Valve

Having an Indy with discs all round & a standard Sierra mc setup I've been a bit concerned about having the back lock up before the front. At the moment I just want to get the car on the road & through IVA. Next winter I'm thinking of switching to a dual mc/balance bar setup. Anyway, for now I'm planning to fit a PRV in the back circuit. As recommended in another thread I've gone for one of these. Is there anything I need to consider when fitting, there doesn't seem to be any means of adjusting it?
daviep

posted on 17/10/12 at 09:35 AM Reply With Quote
Never worked on a panda but I would guess there is a linkage connected to the back axle which pushes a plunger progressivly in to the rubber gaiter as the vehicle is loaded.

You would need to mount a bracket in front of the valve so that a bolt with the correct shaped nose could be screwed in to push on the valve.

Cheers
Davie

“A truly great library contains something in it to offend everyone.”

loggyboy

posted on 17/10/12 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
And what ever you placed in the valve to act as the regulator would need to fixed in some way for IVA (like the lockwire and note required when adding a pedal bias setup).

Mistral Motorsport

britishtrident

posted on 17/10/12 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
In some old threads ISTR one or two people have found that using it without any adjustment bolt and bracket gives enough rear brakes to pass IVA without premature rear brake locking, but the only way to tell for sure will be to suck it and see.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

maccmike

posted on 17/10/12 at 10:08 AM Reply With Quote
You could make a bracket with a threaded hole above the plunger opening and have a bolt to act as the plunger. This way you could adjust the pressure until it suits. Cheap homemade brake bias
renetom

posted on 20/10/12 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
bias

Hi
We failed our first IVA because the rears were locking up before the fronts
& we have wilwoods on the front & drums on the rear
I suggested an adjustable valve , He said under no circumstances not even if you cut off the knob wire it or weld it.
The examiner suggested an automatic one from a metro, which we fitted to the rear brake lines.
Job done & passed the IVA, After that you can pretty much do what you want
If you need any help or advice give me utu
Your not a million miles away. I'm also in the SKCC same mo.

Good luck
Renι

[Edited on 20/10/12 by renetom]

bodger

posted on 25/10/12 at 06:41 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the replies. I got hold of a Haynes manual for the Panda. There is no adjustment for those valves, they're not load sensing. So I've just plumbed it in to the rear circuit. Hopefully will be good for IVA.
britishtrident

posted on 25/10/12 at 07:02 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by bodger
Thanks for the replies. I got hold of a Haynes manual for the Panda. There is no adjustment for those valves, they're not load sensing. So I've just plumbed it in to the rear circuit. Hopefully will be good for IVA.

Haynes book of jokes ......... never take anything in a Haynes manual as gospel, back in the old days they were pretty good but the ones from about the mid 1980s onwards are not of the same quality.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.