Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Blade 919 Carb to Fuel Injection in prep for turbo
Proby

posted on 21/10/12 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
Blade 919 Carb to Fuel Injection in prep for turbo

I'm starting to write a shopping list for converting my 919 blade to fuel injection. The intention is to turbo the engine as a second stage later on.

Before I even start, I have been trying to research the limitations of my setup.

Is my live axle F27 going to be capable of handling 200hp of turbo blade engine (whether I can handle it is another question!)

Ultimately, I would love IRS (I build a Westfield SEi previously and know the ins/outs of live v IRS), but I love the predictive handing of my 27, and love the chassis.

My list is as follows for parts:

Set of 954 throttle bodies, complete with injectors, injector loom & TPS.

Inlet manifold - Self fab job to mate throttle bodies to 919 block.

Return fuel line to tank.

Fuel injection spec fuel pump.

Plenum chamber of some sort with air filter to suit. (maybe fit for future turbo install)

Megasquirt ECU to run it all, then learn to map it??

What else do I need or is that about it?

Chris

Visit GraphicMonster

mark chandler

posted on 21/10/12 at 10:07 PM Reply With Quote
You will need the carb rubbers for the engine and the Throttle body rubbers as the spacing is different, apart from that your list looks complete.

I run the blade sparks and just squirt

Proby

posted on 22/10/12 at 06:48 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark, I never thought about the throttle body rubbers, will add it to my list. I never thought about leaving the stock ignition control and just controlling the fuel with a megasquirt, even easier! Will start buying some bits and pieces to get started!!!

[Edited on 22/10/12 by Proby]

Visit GraphicMonster

mark chandler

posted on 22/10/12 at 02:06 PM Reply With Quote
When you want a map ping me, keep under 8psi and do not touch the engine, just optimax required.
Proby

posted on 22/10/12 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Mark, what do you reckon for the turbo? I can get my hands on a TD04 from a UK spec impreza? Should be comfortable at 7/8 psi?

Visit GraphicMonster

Proby

posted on 27/10/12 at 09:25 AM Reply With Quote
Right, after some more part searching, anyone know the difference between 929 and 954 throttle bodies?? Are there any advantages of using one over the other??

Thanks again!

Visit GraphicMonster

mark chandler

posted on 27/10/12 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Mine has 954 tb's because they were cheap on eBay, the injectors are good to 200bhp as that what mine makes so extra savings.

Cannot comment on the 929's they may be the same thing, they may have the same injectors.

NB/ I run mine upside down to keep things under the bonnet, does not seem to affect anything.

Proby

posted on 27/10/12 at 01:01 PM Reply With Quote
Missed out on some 954's for £35 earlier in week. I want to get hold of some this week so I can start fabricating an inlet.

Visit GraphicMonster

Proby

posted on 23/3/13 at 05:18 PM Reply With Quote
Ok, I'm slowly making progress on this, thought I'd post it on this thread to try and keep it all together.

I'm planning my fuel setup. I'm going to use the current low pressure bike pump to feed a swirl pot, and then a high pressure inline pump to feed my throttle bodies.

The question is, do I put my swirl pot at the rear above the fuel tank or squeeze it in the engine bay? Does it really matter? Looked at a few setups on other (non 7) cars and all seem to vary.

Visit GraphicMonster

dave_424

posted on 25/3/13 at 01:28 PM Reply With Quote
From what I have seen, people do either one or the other.

I am converting my 1998 ZX9r to megasquirt injection and ignition in preparation for turbo. Do you have a suitable trigger wheel on your crank for the megasquirt? or are you going to feed it off an ignition coil?

If you have any questions about the process of converting to injection and turbo charging feel free to ask, I have been doing a monumental amount of reading on megasquirt and turbo bike engines

Dave

mark chandler

posted on 25/3/13 at 01:43 PM Reply With Quote
Mine keeps the bikes ignition system complete, I take the rpm from the bikes ECU to trigger megasquirt.

I tried taking from the coils, was unreliable and had to play about with the 'dave' resistor from memory.

[Edited on 25/3/13 by mark chandler]

Proby

posted on 25/3/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, as Mark did (I'm copying his throttle body set up!) I plan on keeping the stock Honda ignition, controlled from ECU pulse, and just use the megasquirt for fuel. The swirl pot might be going above the back axle on top of the fuel tank then, bit more room!

[Edited on 25/3/13 by Proby]

Visit GraphicMonster

Opirun

posted on 31/3/13 at 08:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, I am new to the forum and planning my first BEC kit build. I am looking at carbed engine to start with due to cost reasons. Just wondering how your carbed blade was for you, as I am looking at different engine options and not sure which way to go at the moment. Thanks.
Proby

posted on 31/3/13 at 08:41 PM Reply With Quote
Hi,
My carbed blade engine is great, I also built a Westfield few years back with a carbed blade. Engines are bullet proof if looked after, and great value for money. Compared to today's super bike engines they are a bit low on power (125 ish bhp), but coupled with a light kit, perform very well.

Visit GraphicMonster

mark chandler

posted on 31/3/13 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
Carbed blade is still a quick car, better on short tracks and will hit 125mph.

Just pay attention to car weight, small and light so original locost not Haynes IMHO.

Blade is also well geared for a BEC install so a 3.65 diff on 185/60/13 will see top mph at peak rpm

Opirun

posted on 1/4/13 at 03:57 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds good, I am going to start looking around for engines and see what I can find.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.