Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Electric Reverse - Smoking starter motor
bodger

posted on 11/11/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
Electric Reverse - Smoking starter motor

I'm getting a lot of smoke from the starter motor when I use the electric reverse - after a couple of short - 3 sec bursts. I'm going to check the earth is good but if it's the starter wiring I'm not sure what to do next. (It's a Golf Mk 4 starter motor)

The car goes backwards ok & I'm doing it on the flat. The brakes aren't binding. So I thought I'd pick your brains.

1) Has anyone else had similar issues with their reverse?
2) Has anyone fitted a cb to limit the current? (It'll need to be a big one = expensive).
3) How much use does the reverse get during the IVA test?

russbost

posted on 11/11/12 at 09:02 PM Reply With Quote
1. I'm using a standard Toyota 1.6 4age starter, no issues or smoke & I've taken it to the point of being stalled on a no. of occasions
2. No, because no need to
3. Very little, just used to do 20 feet or so on the flat

I'd have to say, having done this with several cars now, all with second hand Toyota starters & having been fairly abusive of them, reversing the cars up some very steep slopes, if your starter is smoking there is something wrong with either the starter or the feed or earth to it, unless the Golf starter is particularly wimpy!

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
rb968

posted on 11/11/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
On my IVA test the tester literally made sure it moved under its own steam. All of about a foot. It was pretty pathetic tbh but as he said the manual says it must be able to move backwards not how fast or how far !

Can't help with the wiring sorry. Never had mine smoking and I also used a Golf starter.

Good luck.
Rich

wylliezx9r

posted on 11/11/12 at 09:32 PM Reply With Quote
Are the gears meshing together correctly ?
The reason it is smoking is probably due to excessive draw of current, this could happen for many reasons: The motor is'nt up to the job (unlikely). The coil in the starting motor is braking down. There is excessive load e.g the brakes are on,gears not meshing correctly etc.
I think the golf starter motor is used on all the Mk electric reverses, so its probably up to the job.

HTH Dan

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

rusty nuts

posted on 11/11/12 at 09:54 PM Reply With Quote
Is the mark 4 Golf starter like the older Golfs that have a bush in the gearbox casing to support the pinion gear end?
bodger

posted on 11/11/12 at 11:08 PM Reply With Quote
I've had a better look at it tonight & realised I hadn't scraped away the paint on the brackets to get a good earth. Haven't had chance to test it but pretty hopeful that was the problem - smoke coming from burning paint. Anyway it's good to hear that the starter motors in general are up to the job.
snapper

posted on 12/11/12 at 07:00 AM Reply With Quote
You may have to run an earth strap to the battery
Surprising what a difference a direct earth makes

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.