Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Carpal tunnel surgery
flibble

posted on 13/11/12 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Carpal tunnel surgery

Just been diagnosed with carpal tunnel and a compressed ulnar nerve and wonderd if anyone had gone through the surgery for carpal, and if it lasted/worked?
Also been offered an injection (descibed as "traumatic"??) as a first fix attempt. Has anyone had this?
Cheers
KevD
Typing left handed sucks

trextr7monkey

posted on 13/11/12 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
I have a finger which got clipped with a fencing mallet, buggered the joint and tendons etc, went to see a guy who was retired but still keeping his hand in (no pun intended) by doing a few operations he was an expert in his field- reckoned the success rate with my type of damage was not good as allthe tendons etc are gummed up together and have to be painstakingly seperated so in the end I didn't pursue it.
hth
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

jacko

posted on 13/11/12 at 06:25 PM Reply With Quote
Someone i work with has had it done about 5 years ago in both wrists he seems to have no trouble with them but had to stop using sanding machines
Jacko
ps another work mate is on the waiting list to have it done
Do you have white finger's

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
INDY BIRD

posted on 13/11/12 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
Had the operation last year on my right hand, 1 year on and have no problems like before, ie numbness, tingling , swelling hand, etc and at night was very uncomfortable, worth the pain on a few weeks out for it,

Must say after opp all fine until pain killers stopped then it hurt like a bitch, but happy with the results,

Good luck

Sean

welderman

posted on 13/11/12 at 06:34 PM Reply With Quote
Had my right hand done 9 years ago. All well with it.

Thank's, Joe

I don't stalk people

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/23/viewthread.php?tid=172301

Back on with the Fisher Fury R1

Confused but excited.

posted on 13/11/12 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
My advice would be to get it done ASAP.
I left it too long because I had a disabled wife to look after and having just one hand for 10 days was a no no. By the time they did it, the nerve was crushed and the op was a waste. So symptoms, tingling in finger tips, weak grip etc are now permanent.
So off you go.

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

flibble

posted on 13/11/12 at 06:48 PM Reply With Quote
Think it's all stemmed from using a pc all day at work, then most of the night if I'm at home (never watch TV) for 20 odd years, often felt big twinges going up my arm and thought "ooh, bet that's repetetive strain injury coming" but did nothing about it...

Few months ago it went bonkers, felt like I'd broken my wrist and had all my fingers cut with a stanley knife along with huge stabbing pains up the arm and in the elbow, then the pins and needles started in all 4 fingers and thumb +up the underside of my forearm, lasted ages and would come back if I rested my wrist or forearm on anything for 30 seconds or more, finally went to the doctors today and got told the diagnosis + possible cures etc so was just feeling it out at the moment. No white fingers yet though so hopefully it'll go away in time :\
Of course all this comes at the same time as a shoulder complaint that has been growing worse over the years has also decided to go mental (I forget which muscle, but not tricep or bicep, the one inbetween up to the top of shoulder), so physio also booked.
I blame LCB for keeping me here clicking away (or maybe EvE online), lol
Cheers for the replys
KevD

David Jenkins

posted on 13/11/12 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
My wife has had both wrists done - both successful. Each done in day surgeries.

hearbear

posted on 13/11/12 at 07:48 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Confused but excited.
My advice would be to get it done ASAP.
I left it too long because I had a disabled wife to look after and having just one hand for 10 days was a no no. By the time they did it, the nerve was crushed and the op was a waste. So symptoms, tingling in finger tips, weak grip etc are now permanent.
So off you go.

As he said I had pain for a long time before going to see about it and they tried the injection first which was, cortisone mixed with anesthetic. The injection wasn't to bad but this is just a waste of time and a delaying tactic in my opinion. Had the op will say don't get both hands done at the same time (ask anyone who has had it done ) but both my nerves were damaged and op only gave me minimal relief for a year, I now suffer from poor grip and pain once doing any kind of work and will have to put up with it forever.

3.9Ltr SSC Stylus should be fun

cliftyhanger

posted on 13/11/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
My dear old dad had both done at the same time (his reasoning was that it meant he was out of action once only, even though it was quite an issue not being able to use either hand for a bit )
The night of the operation he said was the first time in years he had slept right through the night, and although his arthritis is no better, after about 5 years the other problems with his hands have not returned and he never mentions anything. So I would say success (far more so than his knee replacement, which he does mention, and rightly so)

vanepico

posted on 13/11/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
How can I avoid all these strange sounding alements?
Seems like every day I hear of another problem I might get later on!

Maybe I shouldn't have become a designer! Lets see, what jobs don't involve using your hands?

Will CAD for food/money/beer...

jacko

posted on 13/11/12 at 09:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by vanepico
How can I avoid all these strange sounding alements?
Seems like every day I hear of another problem I might get later on!

Maybe I shouldn't have become a designer! Lets see, what jobs don't involve using your hands?

To help not to get it DON'T USE any VIBRATING TOOLS
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.