Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Type 9 / Zetec issues and install
cps13

posted on 18/11/12 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
Type 9 / Zetec issues and install

Hi,

I am trying to get my type 9 and zetec engine together however when i simply connect the two I end up with these big gaps. Do I need a differernt bell housing?

I am also going to have to move my gearbox mount forward on the chassis as the bellhousing hits the pedal box area before it is in far enough. Does anybody have and tips/tricks for ensuring the engine is lined up correctly or is it simply a case of a lot of time a patience?

Thanks

[img]http://thumbsnap.com/c2MzoFkL[/img]

[Edited on 18/11/12 by cps13]

big_wasa

posted on 18/11/12 at 09:11 AM Reply With Quote
No, thats good. You need to buy or make a dust cover also known as the sandwich plate, stone guard amongst other things.
Thats where the starter sits when a zetec is conected to an mtx75.

Retro ford sell one or it as easy as standing the bellhousing on a bit of tin and drawing around it and cutting it out.

You should end up with this.

[Edited on 18/11/12 by big_wasa]

cps13

posted on 18/11/12 at 09:18 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by big_wasa
No, thats good. You need to buy or make a dust cover also known as the sandwich plate, stone guard amongst other things.
Thats where the starter sits when a zetec is conected to an mtx75.

Retro ford sell one or it as easy as standing the bellhousing on a bit of tin and drawing around it and cutting it out.

You should end up with this.

[Edited on 18/11/12 by big_wasa]

cheers

[Edited on 18/11/12 by cps13]

Paul Turner

posted on 18/11/12 at 09:29 AM Reply With Quote
The Zetec E (ie Silvertop, Blacktop and ST engine) bolts to a pinto type 9 gearbox using the standard pinto type bellhousing with no issues and no spacer required. Did mine about 11 years ago but I did make a few little plates to stop stones getting into the flywheel area.

But there are some variables, is it a Zetec E you have or the Fiesta type Zetec, that needs a totally different and very expensive bellhousing.

Are you sure you have a pinto gearbox and bellhousing. The V6 and diesel type 9's used different bellhousing's and a longer input shaft, these need a 30 mm spacer between the gearbox and bellhousing before it will fit plus the bellhousing needs to be pinto type. Its easy to tell which input shaft you have, the pinto one will end flush with the face of the bellhousing, the diesel/V6 one sticks out.

Don't forget to fit a spiggot bearing into the crank, if you don't it will wreck the crank and gearbox.

cps13

posted on 18/11/12 at 09:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turner

Zetec E - YES

the pinto one will end flush with the face of the bellhousing, the diesel/V6 one sticks out. - THE PINTO ONE

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.