Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: X Box Live
richard thomas

posted on 19/11/12 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
X Box Live

Any gamers on here?

My son (13 years old) is after X Box Live for Christmas....after trying to decipher what it is exactly on various gaming sites (I am a little nervous about it to be honest), I was wondering if anyone here could let me know what it is in plain English, what it does and how much it costs?

Thanks,

Rich.

whitestu

posted on 19/11/12 at 09:40 AM Reply With Quote
We've got an Xbox 360 which came with a 12month Xbox live membership. The box itself is just a console. The live bit gives access to online games, but as our kids are all 10 and under we never used it, as I don't think such online stuff is suitable for them.

You can also pay extra and stream films etc.

Stu

couch22k

posted on 19/11/12 at 09:41 AM Reply With Quote
Xbox Live allows you to play games online eg. with other players from around the would.

It also gives you a lot more features with the xbox like TV on demand.

The best place to get it is off ebay, I paid around £25 for 12 months. Just Pay with paypal and they usually send you a link with a code that you just redeem.

Hope this helps

Steve

richard thomas

posted on 19/11/12 at 09:49 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks - is it just a subscription then or do you need hardware to go with it? He has an Xbox already....

Don't want to ask my son too many questions like this 'cos he will think I am an old fart....more than he does now anyway...

Davey D

posted on 19/11/12 at 10:12 AM Reply With Quote
Your xbox wil need to be connected to the internet, either via Cat5, or wireless, and then it is just a 12month subscription which you can do by credit/debit card (auto renews each year) , or you can buy a scratch card for a one off 12month subscription. If you keep you eye out, and have a look online you can often get a 12+1 (13 month) scratch card cheaper than you would pay via credit card
couch22k

posted on 19/11/12 at 10:20 AM Reply With Quote
The only other thing I would say is to turn off the auto renew from Microsoft as they charge £40 a year.

Much cheaper from ebay and plenty of sellers. Just make sure they have good feedback.

richard thomas

posted on 19/11/12 at 10:39 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks Fellas,

Cheers,

Rich.

loggyboy

posted on 19/11/12 at 11:57 AM Reply With Quote
Its worth noting the paid subscrption is to Live GOLD, which gives you access to games etc online (you will need to buy the game disc still). Services such as iplayer etc are available on 'Live' which is free, you just have to sign up (or sign in if you have a hotmail//live/microsoft user account), and just requires the connection to the net. Watch out if you do go gaming online as it can use alot of bandwidth and usage.

Some games come with a trial of live gold with them so keep an eye out for them. (i got 3 months free with one, and 1 month free with another a while back)

[Edited on 19-11-12 by loggyboy]

Mistral Motorsport

Dangle_kt

posted on 19/11/12 at 12:24 PM Reply With Quote
I got caught out as the Xbox does not come with built in wireless, you have to buy a dongle for it (and not a normal PC one, an Xbox specific one!) so I just use a cable, but depending where his xbox is you may need to buy the dongle too for the membership to be used.
Irony

posted on 19/11/12 at 12:33 PM Reply With Quote
I have had xbox live for several years now and to be honest I don't use it that much. If your son is a fan of multiplayer games then he'll probably love it. It has lost its appeal to me a little at the moment. I am just plain tired of yet another 3D shooter that has a variety of maps and a variety of game types. Some people love the online gaming that xbox live gives you but I feel genuinely new content has not been about for ages.

I would have cancelled my subscription a long time ago but microsoft keeps automatically taking the money from a credit card I cancelled years ago.

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 19/11/12 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
Just make sure you setup a parent / child configuration to xbox gold and also buy him a 12 month subscription up front - Don't put your CC details in.

<rant>

I've found this out the hard way when my 11 yr old ran up a nice £65 bill (which didn't include the subscription, this was on top of that) because his account was setup as a "parent" and didn't need an additional password typed in each time he wanted to download games and other cr*p that kids his age do. There were no settings for this when it was setup on xmas morning, they took the age of my wife from her hotmail settings because she used her hotmail email to sign him up and presumed the account was for her - they didn't think to check. This was so we could see if he was doing anything silly (erh... like he did)

The wife phoned Microsoft to complain and their response was "your son should have his own email address".. honestly, they suck!

Hopefully the next big thing all the kids are into will be a book or a football ! I hate consoles with a passion !!

</rant>

roadrunner

posted on 19/11/12 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Or get a PS3 and its all free.

It'll be like CEC v BEC.

jossey

posted on 19/11/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
How fast is your Internet connection
Is it unlimited
If its less than 5mb or not unlimited don't both.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Irony

posted on 19/11/12 at 01:16 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by roadrunner
Or get a PS3 and its all free.

It'll be like CEC v BEC.

No Halo. The end.

richard thomas

posted on 19/11/12 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
Just make sure you setup a parent / child configuration to xbox gold and also buy him a 12 month subscription up front - Don't put your CC details in.

<rant>

I've found this out the hard way when my 11 yr old ran up a nice £65 bill (which didn't include the subscription, this was on top of that) because his account was setup as a "parent" and didn't need an additional password typed in each time he wanted to download games and other cr*p that kids his age do. There were no settings for this when it was setup on xmas morning, they took the age of my wife from her hotmail settings because she used her hotmail email to sign him up and presumed the account was for her - they didn't think to check. This was so we could see if he was doing anything silly (erh... like he did)

The wife phoned Microsoft to complain and their response was "your son should have his own email address".. honestly, they suck!

Hopefully the next big thing all the kids are into will be a book or a football ! I hate consoles with a passion !!

</rant>

Thanks - good info, that was the sort of thing I was worried about......

I have unlimited downloads on contract so hopefully that won't be an issue....

loggyboy

posted on 19/11/12 at 02:23 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dangle_kt
I got caught out as the Xbox does not come with built in wireless, you have to buy a dongle for it (and not a normal PC one, an Xbox specific one!) so I just use a cable, but depending where his xbox is you may need to buy the dongle too for the membership to be used.

It does now, since the newer 360s (slim) was introduced a couple of years ago.

Mistral Motorsport

Barkalarr
Contributor

Posts 941
Registered 14/3/12
Location Essex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Caterham R300, Caterham Roadsport,Indy R1,Indy Zet

posted on 19/11/12 at 02:30 PM Reply With Quote
Don't do it ! Just buy him a season ticket for a 3rd division football team and take him to football every week - I took my son to see Colchester Utd at the weekend and he loved every minute and it was a great game.
I had much more fun than playing on the Xbox !

Or you could buy him a cadet cart and go carting with him - get him into Motorsport.. Nice!

richard thomas

posted on 19/11/12 at 04:32 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Barkalarr
Don't do it ! Just buy him a season ticket for a 3rd division football team and take him to football every week - I took my son to see Colchester Utd at the weekend and he loved every minute and it was a great game.
I had much more fun than playing on the Xbox !

Or you could buy him a cadet cart and go carting with him - get him into Motorsport.. Nice!

Have tried the motorsport thing - failed at that...

He is very active though, most of my weekend is taken up with football.....

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.