Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: self leveling concrete
Jon Ison

posted on 20/11/12 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
self leveling concrete

Got a few holes to level in new unit we are moving to, nothing deep or massive, max one maybe 1 meter x 0.5 meter wide 4/5mm deep, carpet going over top when done.

whats peeps on here used, just want a quick cheap fix before carpet goes down, its a packing room and works kitchen so no art deco standard finish required.

Mr Whippy

posted on 20/11/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
while it is set very wet use a wood batton to pat the surface till the water has come up and it will level. If you make it slightly proud of the floor you can hire a polishing/grinding machine to get it really really smooth but tbh I think the wood will work fine for under a carpet
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Nick DV

posted on 20/11/12 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
Not a B&Q fan, but just to illustrate, try something like this http://www.diy.com/nav/build/building-materials/building-chemicals/floor_levelling/Sika-Latex-Self-Levelling-18LLC25-25kg-10487625?noCookies=false />

Cheers, Nick

"The force will be with you, always!"

richardR1

posted on 20/11/12 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
You want a small bag of Everbuild 708 self levelling compound. Easy to work with, just mix up with water to the ratio on the bag. The most important thing is the preparation, you need to make sure the area is thoroughly swept of dust and dirt etc and then seal with a couple of coats of contractors PVA watered down to seal the surface. The self level will do up to 6mm in a single application. It does pretty much what it says and lays itself but you can use a metal float to help it if necessary in any awkward areas.

MK Owners Club Member 1015

FuryRebuild

posted on 20/11/12 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
if you're thinking of working on carpet, have you thought of the rubber floor tiles that the likes of machine-mart do?

I laid my entire garage in them (stuck down with pink-grip) and it made a hell of a difference:
1) warmer in the winter
2) they are great to sit and kneel on without fatigue
3) things bounce, not break when you drop them.
4) smoother when heaving an engine crane around than my old ridged concrete floor
5) looks professional.

It cost me about £200 to do, and definitely money well spent.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

Peteff

posted on 20/11/12 at 06:19 PM Reply With Quote
We used to use Cempolay to level floors, it sounds like a lot of the other stuff recommended in other posts. Mix it runny and trowel it out. You can use PVA if you are not in a hurry and the holes are not too deep, it sets like a layer of plastic if you leave it long enough.

yours, Pete

I went into the RSPCA office the other day. It was so small you could hardly swing a cat in there.

JoelP

posted on 20/11/12 at 06:47 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by richardR1
You want a small bag of Everbuild 708 self levelling compound. Easy to work with, just mix up with water to the ratio on the bag. The most important thing is the preparation, you need to make sure the area is thoroughly swept of dust and dirt etc and then seal with a couple of coats of contractors PVA watered down to seal the surface. The self level will do up to 6mm in a single application. It does pretty much what it says and lays itself but you can use a metal float to help it if necessary in any awkward areas.

Pretty much exactly what i was thinking. Two coats of watered pva, spread with a paint roller if its a big area, then chuck in some self level. Should really be called self smoothing IMHO though, as ive found it needs help and care to end up level, but will definately smooth itself out well.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

thefreak

posted on 21/11/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
I'm looking at doing something similar in the garage at home.
It's a new build double garage and the floor is very rippled, as new ones are.
When I moved in, I sealed it and painted it, but I have a feeling I won't be able to apply any self leveling stuff to the floor now as it's been painted.
I'm not too keen on having to remove all the paint before levelling it...!

FuryRebuild

posted on 21/11/12 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Go rubber. It's not just for the bedroom. I've a link in this thread above to the tiles I used.

When all you have is a hammer, everything around you is a nail.

www.furyrebuild.co.uk

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.