Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Am I running too rich?
-matt

posted on 29/11/12 at 07:39 PM Reply With Quote
Am I running too rich?

I'm using a 2008 R1 in my Indy. I'm using the standard map at the moment, as I'm yet to get it all set up properly.

I've got an air box with a 100mm Intake, and no cat in exhaust. So should all flow nicely.

I've noticed I get a lot of pops and bangs from the exhaust when lifting off, even slightly. Also there is a bit of hesitancy when putting my foot down.

Is this a sign of running too rich? Will my setup cause this? Just I would have thought plenty of air, and free flowing exhaust would cause it to run lean rather than rich?

Any help on this, just want to get it setup roughly, before I get it setup properly next year. It's only road use.

Also any recommendations where to get it set up in the south west?

Cheers

phelpsa

posted on 29/11/12 at 07:42 PM Reply With Quote
It's generally a sign of running lean on the over run. Not a massive issue really.

[Edited on 29-11-12 by phelpsa]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
-matt

posted on 29/11/12 at 08:10 PM Reply With Quote
That would make more sense then if it's running lean. Could this also cause the hesitancy?

Also can temperature make this worse, I've noticed the last few days (this morning was -1) it has been a lot more hesitant. As in I open the throttle, then a few seconds later it suddenly goes...

Mr Whippy

posted on 29/11/12 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
on an old carb engine that hesitation would be a sign the accelerator jets were not working so not enough fuel as the butterfly valves have opened and the mixture leans out. Too much fuel has no hesitation but sluggish performance

pull a spark plug out and I bet it will be all shiny clean rather than light powder brown. Fix it soon or you may hole a piston

[Edited on 29/11/12 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
adithorp

posted on 29/11/12 at 09:01 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by -matt
That would make more sense then if it's running lean. Could this also cause the hesitancy?

Also can temperature make this worse, I've noticed the last few days (this morning was -1) it has been a lot more hesitant. As in I open the throttle, then a few seconds later it suddenly goes...

My 06 R1 ran very lean in some places on the standard map. In particular it had quite a hesitation on pick-up and a BIG flat spot around 4000rpm. On overrun and light throttle AFR was high (18-20). Got it mapped and it made a huge difference to the drivability. Hesitation and flat spot gone and a few extra horses top end as well.

In short, get it mapped.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

matt_gsxr

posted on 29/11/12 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
Agree with all the above. Classic symptoms of under fueling.

Maybe also worth checking the temperature sensors are working (air intlet temp and water temp) and fuel pressure is up to the expected level. Each of these could push down the fueling into the weak range. Weak can be BAD at high power outputs so worth getting it sorted (as Adi said).

Matt

Andy B

posted on 29/11/12 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
The 4c8 R1 suffers big time from localised hotspotting of the cylinder head, in over 20 separate cases I am aware of this has lead to melting of the bore and head between 2 and 3 cylinders. You really need to get the fuelling set up before you do much more.
-matt

posted on 2/12/12 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks, I will get the fuelling set up ASAP.

I have though increased for now all fuel by 15 on the power commander, and it drives far better, also sounds better.

As for where to get it set up, I'm located in the south west. I understand day tuning has a great reputation, but is it really worth a 4 hour drive each way? Or is there anyone else who knows what there doing with BEC's?

Cheers

Andy B

posted on 2/12/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt
without doubt Damian at Daytuner is one of the best in the business and I make the 4 hour drive with every one of our race cars so I would say if you can get the time - its worth it. However if time wont allow speak to Larry or Nick at PDQ - they are also very good - if you say I sent you you will get a discount as well
regards
Andy

-matt

posted on 4/12/12 at 06:58 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks Andy, I think I will give PDQ a go, as they are not too far away.

Also I had a thought earlier. My intake air temperature and pressure sensors are still just tied up in the wiring loom in the engine bay.

Should I have these attached to my air intake pipe? I assume these being tied up in a hot engine bay could have a massive difference on the fuelling?

Cheers

Andy B

posted on 4/12/12 at 07:09 PM Reply With Quote
Hi Matt
yes the air intake temp sensor wants to go into the airbox common to all throttles, atmos pres sensor can go pretty much anywhere
regards
Andy

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.