Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: URGENT advice please!!
fullpint

posted on 10/12/12 at 07:59 AM Reply With Quote
URGENT advice please!!

My daily runner (Stilo) is in the garage, using a loan Punto but its boring so today at 630 I fired up the Mk Indy blade.. Into my trip is was running rough! Ok a little cold i thought. Could smell fuel... Pulled over after 4 miles, turned it off and checked my manual choke cable was working. It was. Tried starting it and after a while it fired up on 3 pots... Got to wokr and notice fuel around the 2nd carb plastic top cover??????? Could it be just a jet blocked up..
Feel free to put your advise down as to what it could be and a quick repair to get me home at 3pm with out using toooo much battery juice to fire it up all the time

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
r1_pete

posted on 10/12/12 at 08:28 AM Reply With Quote
sounds like the float / needle valve in No2 carb is stuck, try giving it a few sharp taps, preferably with a wooden mallet or similar, that may dislodge it.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fullpint

posted on 10/12/12 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
Thats a good point Pete.. Car is sitting in the sun at the mo warming up. I will get a nice bit of wood and do a gentle tap dance on the carb.... Too cold at the mo!! Got frost on my seat, brrrrr..

I've over 28 years in dealing with magnesium wheels. Refurbishment and can powder coat most metal parts. Visit my web site if you wish..
www.tpcs-magnesium-refurbs.co.uk

sickbag

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:00 AM Reply With Quote
Not sure if it affects them as much in a car as it does on a bike but you can find the carbs suffer from icing when it's this cold - especially if the water heating circuit is blocked or not used at all.

Finally back on the job!

jossey

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
+1 for pete thought.

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

adithorp

posted on 10/12/12 at 10:19 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jossey
+1 for pete thought.

+2

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

MK9R

posted on 10/12/12 at 12:10 PM Reply With Quote
how long since you last used it?? The orings in the carbs shrink when they dry out, once soaked in fuel for a couple of hours they swell up and seal again. But as others said could be a float needle sticking.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

fullpint

posted on 10/12/12 at 03:15 PM Reply With Quote
New addition to my tool kit now is a wooden mallet... Cheers Pete that seemed to work.. Guess I wont know for sure untill the next frosty morning run.. Tomorrow I will drag the Punto back out and will take the carbs of the Indy at some point just to check em out..
Back home and she ran a treat

r1_pete

posted on 10/12/12 at 05:17 PM Reply With Quote
Glad it worked and got you home.

Anoying thing is you'll no doubt find no evidence of a fault.....

fullpint

posted on 10/12/12 at 06:05 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by r1_pete
Glad it worked and got you home.

Anoying thing is you'll no doubt find no evidence of a fault.....

Again you could be right there. May just leave them alone and just stick with doing a filter and oil change.. And coolant whilsts its up on the stands

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.