Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Lathe motor sizing
bodger

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:17 PM Reply With Quote
Lathe motor sizing

I've just got a Colchester Bantam. It's the Hawk version without the screwcutting gearbox & max 800 rpm. I want to fit it with a 3 phase motor + inverter to get it up to 1600 rpm. The original spec for this lathe was a 1hp motor. If I double the speed with the inverter do I need to double the hp rating of the motor (i.e. 2hp) to handle the increased power being fed to it & provide the same torque or will the 1hp motor cope ok?
dave r

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:29 PM Reply With Quote
assuming the motor is mounted internally in a bantam, i would fit the largest i could easily fit in the frame size

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

v8kid

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
Strangely enough I had the opposite advice, probably for a different reason.

If you are damn good at lathe work fit a stonking great big motor. If an amateur like me fit a wee one 'cos you will do less damage when (not if) you foul up.

Only you will know the answer!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
v8kid

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:41 PM Reply With Quote
Before anyone asks all a bigger motor will do is let you finish faster, which is important to a professional, but quite irrelevant to most amateurs who are just enjoying learning the process.

Cheers!

You'd be surprised how quickly the sales people at B&Q try and assist you after ignoring you for the past 15 minutes when you try and start a chainsaw

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
owelly

posted on 10/12/12 at 09:57 PM Reply With Quote
Would it be a better idea to fit a single phase motor and gear it up? I'd say fit the biggest motor you can but that's the sort of guy I am. And I'm also the sort of guy who found himself wrapped around a lathe a few years ago desperately wishing the lathe would stop trying to pull me out of my skin.....
Small motor=small cuts=slow
Big motor=big cuts=faster...

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

trextr7monkey

posted on 10/12/12 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
Bodger did your lathe come with a 1Hp motor whichh you aren't gonna be using?
I could may be do a deal with the 3 ph motor on the Denford viceroy we are selling as if single phase it would be more useful to more people
atb
Mike

http://www.flickr.com/photos/14016102@N00/ (cut and paste this dodgey link)

Our most recent pics are here:
http://s129.photobucket.com/albums/p211/trextr7monkey/

Phil.J

posted on 11/12/12 at 08:41 AM Reply With Quote
I fitted my Colchester Master with a new 3 HP single phase motor. It is still easy to stall the lathe when working on larger diameter work ie greater than 3" diameter.
My advice would be to go for the biggest motor you can accommodate.

designer

posted on 11/12/12 at 09:09 AM Reply With Quote
As said, fit a single phase motor, not a 3.
bodger

posted on 11/12/12 at 01:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by trextr7monkey
Bodger did your lathe come with a 1Hp motor whichh you aren't gonna be using?
I could may be do a deal with the 3 ph motor on the Denford viceroy we are selling as if single phase it would be more useful to more people
atb
Mike

No, did a deal to tale it without the motor 'cos it wasn't looking too great after it got smashed up whilst moving the lathe. Thought I'd go 3 phase so I can have nice speed control & there was a good deal going on a 1hp inverter drive. Start's getting quite a bit more expensive as you head up to 3hp though so maybe I'll look again at 1 phase.....although then I could get a mill....STOP!!

paulf

posted on 11/12/12 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
I have a 1 HP 3 ph motor on my lathe and it is sometimes a bit underpowered compared to using an industrial machine when in direct drive but has plenty of torque in the back geared speed range .The high speed range when using an inverter is not so much of a problem as usually when needing the higher speeds then you will only be taking light finishing cuts or turning small diameter work .
Paul

coyoteboy

posted on 11/12/12 at 09:04 PM Reply With Quote
Personally i'd fit the biggest you could find/fit, and rely on common sense and care while learning so that you don't have to upgrade later. I learned on a monster machine with enough power to wrap you round the chuck, the motor power made no difference to my learning? You don't want to go with a piffling little thing and end up with too low a chip load and start demolishing tools.

[Edited on 11/12/12 by coyoteboy]

philfingers

posted on 14/12/12 at 07:58 PM Reply With Quote
a 0.75kw/1hp 3ph on mine with an inverter. basically think of it as the difference between carbs and 3 row, self mapping fuel injection. for those that don't know you run a 1ph to 3ph inverter, you can run from 1-2rpm upto the double the motor speed I think. have programmable overload, soft start and soft stop, emergency stop, reverse. Bit complex to set up but once running you'd never go back to single phase

The true home of cars born under the Sylva name - http://jpsc.org.uk/forum

STM Phoenix R1
Sold-Sylva Striker 1300xf, 40s etc
Sold-Sylva Phoenix, 1300xf, BVH, 234cam, 2xDCOE 40s, live axle - 'old school', rally car and a few bikes

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.