Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tablet Dash?
coozer

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:02 PM Reply With Quote
Tablet Dash?

Following on from the 8" Tablet thread...

Is it possible to stick one on the dash, connect it to the ECU and use it as a digi dash?

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

ashg

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:13 PM Reply With Quote
It is if you have a megasquirt

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

monkeyarms

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
8" tablet + bluetooth obd dongle + torque app connects fine to Ford ECU for me

[Edited on 29/12/12 by monkeyarms]

Slimy38

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
I think I asked a similar question a while back as part of another thread;

http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=166866

It talks about using GPS as a speedo, but I took it a bit further and asked about using Torque.

However, in practice I have noticed Torque + bluetooth is quite unreliable. I don't know where the weak point is (Torque app, Bluetooth comms, even the dongle itself), but it doesn't stay connected for an entire journey (half an hour or more). It can take various things to reset it, such as cycling the bluetooth connection on the phone or unplugging the dongle. It's not something I would use as a primary source of information.

I have only got a 'copy' ELM327 dongle though, the official ones might be better. But they're £60+ last time I checked, whereas I paid £12 for mine.

MakeEverything

posted on 29/12/12 at 12:46 PM Reply With Quote
ive used cheap dongles and they are not as reliable as the better ones. I bought a laptop ith a serial port in the end though as i drove over two laptops in the garage, on two seperate occasions after forgetting they were there!

I now use a toughbook in the garage which works in the car, so i suppose it is possible to have one as a dash if you can get it to boot quick enough.

[Edited on 29-12-12, by MakeEverything]

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

Slimy38

posted on 29/12/12 at 01:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MakeEverything
ive used cheap dongles and they are not as reliable as the better ones. I bought a laptop ith a serial port in the end though as i drove over two laptops in the garage, on two seperate occasions after forgetting they were there!

I now use a toughbook in the garage which works in the car, so i suppose it is possible to have one as a dash if you can get it to boot quick enough.

[Edited on 29-12-12, by MakeEverything]

Unfortunately even the serial dongles still use the same chip, so are still possibly going to be as bad. I've never had a chance to see if my serial connection is as unreliable as my laptop battery wouldn't last that long!! However, out of the three leads I have (serial, USB and Bluetooth) the serial seems much more consistent. I can only assume that the ELM327 chip 'talks' serial by default, both the USB and Bluetooth add an extra layer of complexity.

I've just checked Torque on my phone and it does support wired devices, so I might give my USB lead a try at some point.

RK

posted on 29/12/12 at 04:05 PM Reply With Quote
Wow, I thought I'd made every mistake in the book, but running over computers is a first! I'm sorry, but you made me feel much better.

Doesn't your IVA forbid use of GPS as the primary speedo? I love the idea of using tablets as gauges though.

MakeEverything

posted on 29/12/12 at 04:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
Wow, I thought I'd made every mistake in the book, but running over computers is a first! I'm sorry, but you made me feel much better.

new screens on both!! 'Running them over' still applies, even if you are pushing the car back into the garage!

Kindest Regards,
Richard.

...You can make it foolProof, but youll never make it Idiot Proof!...

scudderfish

posted on 29/12/12 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
You probably won't be able to read the tablet in sunlight.
coyoteboy

posted on 5/1/13 at 02:37 AM Reply With Quote
yeah 2 things concern me, visibility in sunlight and odometer....
meakin

posted on 6/1/13 at 12:15 PM Reply With Quote
Odeometer is not a requirement for IVA or MOT AFAIK. The MOT tester record it but if you don't have one then its ignored not a failure. My odeometer never worked and it went through IVA without comment, although my car is sorned at teh moment so haven't tried the new MOT yet. The problem is without odometer is the sales information on the mot will read no miles but if you aren't intending to sell it who cares?

You must have a speedo though and I know you cannot use a sat nav as it doesn't measure speed of the wheels (ie it measures your speed as a distance across a "flat map" rather than the speed the vehicle is travelling along the surface) The IVA measures your speed using a rolling road. If your tablet is attached to the dash and uses wheel/gearbox or similar speed measurement, I don't see it as any different from a digital dash you can buy.

The tablet would have to be part of the dash IMHO. You wouldn't get away with it being temporary fitted.

Anyway thats my opinion and my understanding of the law.
Paul

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.