Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: cat c worth a punt?
ruskino80

posted on 30/12/12 at 07:50 PM Reply With Quote
cat c worth a punt?

just been looking at this mini on the bay

2003 Mini Mini 1.6 One RED FLOOD DAMAGED,NEEDS ENGINE

cat c is normally a fair old shunt,do you think a knacked motor would be sufficient to put it in this category?

was thinking about doing this one as an easy fixer upper(only to cure a boredom fix!)

maccmike

posted on 30/12/12 at 07:53 PM Reply With Quote
engine wouldnt bother me but water damage would though. could be an expensive electrical fix
wylliezx9r

posted on 30/12/12 at 07:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike
engine wouldnt bother me but water damage would though. could be an expensive electrical fix

I second that, a colleague of mine had his sunroof smashed on his land rover disco, water got in the car. 4 months later and he still hasn't got it back due to an electrical fault that nobody can fix.

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

scootz

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:08 PM Reply With Quote
Double check it's a Cat C... flood damaged cars are normally B or X, so they can't go back on the road.

It's Evolution Baby!

Slimy38

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
There's a couple of 'proper' cat c write offs on Autotrader, crash damage rather than flood or engine damage. I'd be more tempted to look at one of those instead.

Then again, even fixed up it's a fairly low spec old car, even if it is a BMW Mini. Are you looking to make a profit or would breaking even be ok?

Ben_Copeland

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:14 PM Reply With Quote
Might have just driven through a low level flood and sucked water up through the air intake. Looks clean enough.

Ben

Locost Map on Google Maps

Z20LET Astra Turbo, into a Haynes Roadster

Enter Your Details Here
http://www.facebook.com/EquinoxProducts for all your bodywork needs!

austin man

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:15 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds like it has drawn water in through the airfilter resulting in Hydraulic lock of the engine hence the rod through the block. The car itself may not have had any water ingress. Apparently you can claim for this damage if it is flood related. The replacement engine would not be a financially viable option to the insurance company based on the valuation of the car.

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

jossey

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:22 PM Reply With Quote
Ye as above may need new ecu etc.

You may need to find a rear end write off to take engine n ecu n maybe wiring....

Thanks

David Johnson

Building my tiger avon slowly but surely.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mark chandler

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:46 PM Reply With Quote
Part x running would only be £1,600, looks very expensive to me as resale will be poor once fixed.

Mini,s do have low intake so I would guess hydraulic lock up when driven so may not have been in a flood, just a deep puddle at speed

britishtrident

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:47 PM Reply With Quote
The early BMW Mini shared a fair bit of technology with Rover 75 and BMW E46, Air bag impact sensors suffer if water gets under the carpet and it it can be a bugger to trace.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

britishtrident

posted on 30/12/12 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by wylliezx9r
quote:
Originally posted by maccmike

I second that, a colleague of mine had his sunroof smashed on his land rover disco, water got in the car. 4 months later and he still hasn't got it back due to an electrical fault that nobody can fix.

They should check for water under the carpet the carpet has a thick polymer backing the top side of the carpet can be completely dry but I have see cars with at least couple of gallons of water (yes really 10ltre plus) sloshing around trapped under the carpet for months.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

flibble

posted on 30/12/12 at 09:13 PM Reply With Quote
I'd also echo that that's quite a lot for the car. I buy/break a few bikes that are insurance write offs but do keep an eye on the cars. I'd guess that would go for under £1k at the auctions. Thers a similar mini on there now with water damage, but starts and drives, albeit a 1397cc (2008 model). Currently at £300, I wouldn't be surprised if that went for around £1000-£1500.

quote:

Double check it's a Cat C... flood damaged cars are normally B or X, so they can't go back on the road

I thought that too, even having been involved in write-offs, until the other day on here when someone said differently, I checked up and they were indeed correct - Cat B's can go back on the road too (if you so wish!).

Edit to say, Cat X is usally stolen recovered and may not even be damaged. It's the best category to get if you have to.

[Edited on 30-12-12 by flibble]

steve m

posted on 30/12/12 at 11:56 PM Reply With Quote
For that money, i would want a good running non cat c car

i have done a few cat c cars over the last few years, and personly would not touch fire or flood damage

The best place that ive found, is copart, membership was about £40 a year, and ive not bought a dud car yet (can always happen)

http://www.copart.co.uk/c2/home.html

steve

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.