Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Aftermarket adjustable fuel reg
tcr

posted on 9/1/13 at 12:30 PM Reply With Quote
Aftermarket adjustable fuel reg

Iv read on the mx5 forum about some of the guys with modded engines running the fuel return line from the afpr back to the fuel feed line before the reg instead of the fuel tank, anyone on here done this and does it work ?

MK MIDI ZX10R
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4393256076054.2182513.1427988207&type=1&l=64c91c3c17
why isnt anything simple!!!
torquetune.co.uk
nrpexhausts.co.uk

clairetoo

posted on 9/1/13 at 12:35 PM Reply With Quote
Since the line from the tank is the the one from the pump , which will be at a higher pressure than the fuel regulator , then no - I would be very surprised if it would run at all !

Its cuz I is blond , innit

Claire xx

Will weld for food......

coyoteboy

posted on 9/1/13 at 01:08 PM Reply With Quote
That'll do 2 things. It'll render the regulator useless (it's return linked to it's input means it has zero pressure difference across it, which means it will stay closed). If the reg remains closed you'll see 5 bar + on the fuel lines (whatever the pump can deliver) and this will vary with injector duty cycle, meaning for any given injection duration you'll see more fuel input during idle than during WOT, what's more your injection pressure will vary with both battery charge and pump damage. All in all, it's probably the worst thing you could do to an EFI engine when looking for better fueling.
coyoteboy

posted on 9/1/13 at 01:13 PM Reply With Quote
Adjustable fuel regs are really a bit of a botch IMO, unless you have the rest of the system designed to function with it. Stock injectors are designed to run at 3 bar usually, upping the fuel pressure may or may not be deliverable by the pump and huge increases in fuel pressure deliver very small increases in fuel flow (it doesn't scale linearly). You'll find out your pump can't deliver the fuel pressure at the one point you want it, at full throttle full load - when you least want to run lean. The only sensible option is to run the correct pump and injectors.
tcr

posted on 9/1/13 at 01:27 PM Reply With Quote
I'm runnin a zx10r and need to get the emissions down for the iva which is VERY soon , I was just looking at alternatives to removing the tank to fit a return as I don't have time and a few other things to do besides

MK MIDI ZX10R
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.4393256076054.2182513.1427988207&type=1&l=64c91c3c17
why isnt anything simple!!!
torquetune.co.uk
nrpexhausts.co.uk

Paul Turner

posted on 9/1/13 at 01:40 PM Reply With Quote
The return on mine (truth be told its the bleed off from the top of the swirlpot - the true return from the FPR is piped into the swirlpot) enters the tank via a union that I drilled into the tank sender. Getting a union welded into the tank was going to be right faff but a simple 90 degeree union did the trick. Been like it 8 years now.
wylliezx9r

posted on 9/1/13 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by tcr
I'm runnin a zx10r and need to get the emissions down for the iva which is VERY soon , I was just looking at alternatives to removing the tank to fit a return as I don't have time and a few other things to do besides

Could you take the return to a swirl pot instead ?

I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.
George Best

tilly819

posted on 9/1/13 at 02:08 PM Reply With Quote
i bodged mine for IVA (blackbird engine) tool out the stock 3Bar reg and replaced it with an aftermarket. gave me the ability to drop the fuel pressure to meet the emissions since mine was running very rich.
its not a perfect solution and it only just passed. also the reg i got 20 quid of ebay used to creep like hell so it would alter itself slightly over time.

hope this helps

Tilly

F20C Haynes roadster 440 BHP/Tonne www.youtube.com/handmadeextreme

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.