Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: powder coating
joolsmi16

posted on 9/1/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
powder coating

HI all, just had a few bits back from the powder coater today and the larger surface areas etc fuel tank ect has "orange peel" is this the norm for powder coating or should the it be a mirror finish.

thanks

Jools

cps13

posted on 9/1/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
everything i have ever had powder coated were mirror finish.

apart from a large block of metal which due to thickness was a poor finish as they baked it for too long and the metal heated up. It was coated white and went "yellowy" and "peely".

joolsmi16

posted on 9/1/13 at 10:48 PM Reply With Quote
powder coating

Thats what I had thought just wanted to confirm, will take them back.

Cheers

snakebelly

posted on 10/1/13 at 03:47 AM Reply With Quote
I don't actually think e orange peel effect is that rare, most chassis I have seen that are powder coated have an element of orange peel, I think it's down to the amount applied, the thicker it is the more chance of orange peel. The best powder oat I have ever seen was our old roll cage which was coated in an orange and black tiger effect, people just wouldn't believe it was powder oat and insisted it was paint the finish was so good, it never chipped in 2 years of race use either.
mcerd1

posted on 10/1/13 at 09:48 AM Reply With Quote
I've just got bog std. satin black on my chassis and various other bits in high gloss red etc.. - no "orange peel" in sight, but then the guy I use isn't the cheapest

-

Slimy38

posted on 10/1/13 at 10:02 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by snakebelly
I don't actually think e orange peel effect is that rare, most chassis I have seen that are powder coated have an element of orange peel, I think it's down to the amount applied, the thicker it is the more chance of orange peel.

I thought that was one of the benefits of powder coat though, because it's applied with an electrical charge it becomes self-limiting and can't get too thick?

A1

posted on 10/1/13 at 01:35 PM Reply With Quote
Doesn't it depend on the quality of the metal underneath?

Ive had parts done that have had orange peel, but cause the metal underneath was badly rusted to start with.

mcerd1

posted on 10/1/13 at 04:28 PM Reply With Quote
^^ could explain why my parts are good - the guy I use always blasts/dips them before coating

-

fullpint

posted on 12/1/13 at 07:44 AM Reply With Quote
All parts must be clean. Depending upon the metal being coated this can result in the finish. A fuel tank (thin sheet metal) should come out looking great.
If the metal is not clean you can have a reaction when the power cures. Orange peel I would say is lack of coverage or under cured but with out knowing the process they used it could be a number of things. Perhaps they thought because its a fuel tank and not seen then the standard of finish may have been acceptable! If so they should have pointed this out to you prior to sending it.. Can you post a pic showing the peel?

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
snakebelly

posted on 12/1/13 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
you can put as many coats on as you like, it may be that as it was a fuel tank they thought the more the better for corrosion resistance?
A1

posted on 12/1/13 at 03:04 PM Reply With Quote
oh no, sorry I was meaning the metal was pitted from the corrosion...
He always shotblasts first, but I imagine the pitting would effect the finish?
Im no expert on coating so may well be talking shoite!

joolsmi16

posted on 12/1/13 at 04:24 PM Reply With Quote
powder coating

I've taken the parts back and they are now being flatted and a powder coat lacquer applied.

The chap said orange peel is part of the process with powder coating.

fullpint

posted on 12/1/13 at 04:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by A1
oh no, sorry I was meaning the metal was pitted from the corrosion...
He always shotblasts first, but I imagine the pitting would effect the finish?
Im no expert on coating so may well be talking shoite!

Once the corrosion has been blasted out it will leave pitting and depending upon the extent of the corrosion this can effect the overall finish after powder coating.
If the surface is clean and smooth after stripping and blasting then no orange peel effect should be present.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
fullpint

posted on 12/1/13 at 04:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by joolsmi16
I've taken the parts back and they are now being flatted and a powder coat lacquer applied.

The chap said orange peel is part of the process with powder coating.

If that is the case then what he's saying is that the powder coat clear lacquer will also come out with the orange peel effect!
Look forward to seeing the result when you get the parts back

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.