Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Used car opinions please
marco

posted on 15/1/13 at 09:50 PM Reply With Quote
Used car opinions please

I'm looking for a car for SWMBO upto about 3k max spend and the criteria needs to be as follows.

Diesel
Estate
ideally no more than 130k miles
cars later than 2001
decent build quality

So far I'm narrowing it down to

Audi 1.9tdi Avant
JAg X type 2.0d estate
BMW 320d
Saab 9-3 2.2 0r 1.9TDI

Although I can't seem to convince her on the Saab shape so this maybe a non starter.

The only one of the above I've owned before is the Audi but it was much newer at the time, also had an X type but it was the 3.0ltr V6 sport so not really a good comparison.

Anyone owned or own any of these that you could either recommend or not...

austin man

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
Any of the VAG range including Skoda

Life is like a bowl of fruit, funny how all the weird looking ones are left alone

Jon Ison

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:06 PM Reply With Quote
Mondeo
Slimy38

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:08 PM Reply With Quote
This is going to sound really sexist, but those seem to be very big cars for a woman?

Personally I'd agree with austin man, the VAG range is huge with a fair few good diesel engines. The only thing is the brand, you will pay more for an Audi than a Skoda even though it's almost all going on the name.

Bare

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:10 PM Reply With Quote
Forget the Saab 9-3, it's bread van shape is fugly/old, albeit functional for carrying 'stuff'.. the woman is right :-)
Try the little bit newer Arc/Linear version.
Jag might be OK Audi's and BMW's are hamstrung with complete crap Bosch electricals.

marco

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
This is going to sound really sexist, but those seem to be very big cars for a woman?

My wife competing in the British Drift Championship in Pro class at Donnington BTW...... i don't see any of the above been a problem to her do you ...

myke pocock

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:19 PM Reply With Quote
Yup, Skoda Octy Estate.
Slimy38

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:22 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by marco
quote:

My wife competing in the British Drift Championship in Pro class at Donnington BTW...... i don't see any of the above been a problem to her do you ...

Awesome!

OK, let me change my original comment. Don't those cars seem a bit weedy for your woman?

[Edited on 15/1/13 by Slimy38]

loggyboy

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:35 PM Reply With Quote
Gotta be a BM then -its the only RWD on the list!

Mistral Motorsport

coozer

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
Forget the Jag X type, the Mondeo is WAY better..

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

marco

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Awesome!

OK, let me change my original comment. Don't those cars seem a bit weedy for your woman?

She is stealing my car this year ( the orange one) so I'm sure that 430bhp should refrain her from abusing the daily runner.

marco

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by coozer

I thought the X type has the Mondeo Engine and shares the same floor pan?

britishtrident

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:40 PM Reply With Quote
Mondeo is probably a better bet than the Jag, But aren't the most robust diesels around. Parts for the Jag are more expensive and I've seen a few Jags with rusty doors.

2005 MG ZT-T CDTI AUTO DIESEL TAX &' TEST F.S.H / FULL LEATHER INTERIOR

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

marco

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
Mondeo is probably a better bet than the Jag, But aren't the most robust diesels around. Parts for the Jag are more expensive and I've seen a few Jags with rusty doors.

I never thought about the MGZT, I quite like that other than the colour, although will parts and reliabilty be an issue?

britishtrident

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:43 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Jag parts are a lot more expensive usually the parts are similar to the Mondeo but just different enough not to be interchangeable.

[/I]

coozer

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:

Yep, thats right but the Mondeo is built better.. as the supplier of steering system engineer I could go on and on and on about it...

I was once in front of the Jaguar directors to explain an ongoing rattle and squeak problem when I was asked if the problem was remote... I answered that it didnt exist on the Mondeo...

I was promptly removed from the room and told in no certain tones never to mention Ford, or the Mondeo again!

And, we had a PAG (Premier Automotive Group) STA engineer (nominated by the Ford and Jaguar) and he could have had any company car he wanted.. he drove around in a Ghia X 4x4 Mondeo Estate.. enough said.

Just remembered as well, our steering parts go on the Aston Martin DB9 (still to this day) and there is no problem there either.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

marco

posted on 15/1/13 at 10:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:

Yep, thats right but the Mondeo is built better.. as the supplier of steering system engineer I could go on and on and on about it...

I was once in front of the Jaguar directors to explain an ongoing rattle and squeak problem when I was asked if the problem was remote... I answered that it didnt exist on the Mondeo...

I was promptly removed from the room and told in no certain tones never to mention Ford, or the Mondeo again!

And, we had a PAG (Premier Automotive Group) STA engineer (nominated by the Ford and Jaguar) and he could have had any company car he wanted.. he drove around in a Ghia X 4x4 Mondeo Estate.. enough said.

Just remembered as well, our steering parts go on the Aston Martin DB9 (still to this day) and there is no problem there either.

So buy the Jag and fit a mondeo steering wheel then Coozer

There's very few Jag estates locally in our price range so this could be a non starter too...

britishtrident

posted on 15/1/13 at 11:00 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident

I never thought about the MGZT, I quite like that other than the colour, although will parts and reliabilty be an issue?

Mechanically and electricaly they are reliable as sin body is solid and they don't suffer Rover parts are dirt cheap, engine is a better version than BMW used in the 320 as it has no swirl flaps to break off. Manual gearbox is a Getrag that is unbreakable, auto box is a Jatco same as Jag and Ford and some VW. Parts are cheap.
Bigest expense with high miler is likely to a worn front wishbone and bushes they generally last up 60,000 to 100,000 miles -- replacements have to be top quality QH or similar as ebay stuff usually last 6 months. Good late model diesel estates tend to command a price premium as most late model estates tend to be 1.8 turbo petrols. Rover 75 estates are actually probably a better choice as the tend to have 15" wheels which give lower rear tyre wear better ride and much cheaper replacement tyres.
Look for a car with climate control it is significantly better than the base heating and A/C.
In the estates the only real difference Rover 75 and MG ZT diesels is the trim and badges.

[Edited on 15/1/13 by britishtrident]

[/I]

coozer

posted on 15/1/13 at 11:06 PM Reply With Quote
No no, its not the steering system thats at fault is the rest of the car..

Early Mondeos had a rattle problem on petrol models. Very quickly it was found that fitting diesel spec parts to petrol cars eliminated the problem.

Jaguar did not adopt the change and the problem rumbled on all the way to the end.

Ford introduced design changes over the years. They were designated with letters, so A being the first and leading out on Y. Jaguar stopped design changes at J so the car was never upgraded for the last 5 years.

The X type was a stop gap motor introduced to keep the Halewood plant open. It soon went the journey when they moved over to Landrover production there.

If you want a 2L diesel estate look at the top of the range Fords, build quality is much better. The last run out models from Dec 2006 to March 2007 were all estates.

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

coozer

posted on 15/1/13 at 11:12 PM Reply With Quote
Ooo, now then, forgot about the MG, I like them especially this one..

MG ZT 260 V8 SE

2004/04 MG ZT-T 4.6 V8 260 SE ESTATE ++ 1 LADY OWNER ++ FMGSH ++

1972 V8 Jago

1980 Z750

marco

posted on 15/1/13 at 11:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Ooo, now then, forgot about the MG, I like them especially this one..

MG ZT 260 V8 SE

2004/04 MG ZT-T 4.6 V8 260 SE ESTATE ++ 1 LADY OWNER ++ FMGSH ++

Now were talking,,, V8 Ls Engine and driven wheels at the right end, but sadly the non existant fuel economy and too small a supply of rear tyres is making me think twice about getting her one of these.

franky

posted on 15/1/13 at 11:36 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Awesome!

She is stealing my car this year ( the orange one) so I'm sure that 430bhp should refrain her from abusing the daily runner.

looks like shes put the wrong fuel in this one.

BangedupTiger

posted on 16/1/13 at 12:33 AM Reply With Quote
my uncle bought a vx passat estate LHD, for when he was renovating a house in france. had 140k on the clock when bought, and sold with over 300k a few years later, cost around £1,400. the thing was bulletproof.
zetec

posted on 16/1/13 at 07:31 AM Reply With Quote
How about a Volvo V70....plenty about, loads of spec on SE models.

" I only registered to look at the pictures, now I'm stuck with this username for the rest of my life!"

whitestu

posted on 16/1/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
I've had a Passat in the past and now have a Mondeo. The Mondeo is miles better.

Stu

<<  1    2  >>
New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.