Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: EWP115 HELP PLEASE!!
richardm6994

posted on 4/2/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
EWP115 HELP PLEASE!!

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice (and secretly some reassurance).

Because of clearence issues in my Robin Hood, the rover v8 is being fitted with a electric water pump (Davies Craig EWP115).

My plane was to use 32mm hose throughout, however the cold water feed into the engine will spilt into 2 number 22mm connections....

Attached is the water pump blanking plate drawing with the 2 22mm connection holes and the gasket to illustrate what I'm talking about.

I plan to connect onto this cover plate using reucing elbows (22mm - 32mm) so the actual bit of tubing that is 22mm dia is minimal (50mm long).

I'm starting to worry that these 2 x 22mm connections into the block will restrict my water flow too much? My original logic was that the 32mm rad hoses is 804mm2 csa and the 2x22mm connections have a combined csa of 760mm2 which is 94% of the original csa...

I've only seen 1 other on the tinterweb and his connections are even smaller!! but I dont know if it worked okay....

I'm hoping with the wealth of knowledge on here someone can help me out! Only other option is to use bigger conenctors but with square ends so not to foul the gasket

mark chandler

posted on 4/2/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
Hummm a bit hard to answer your question so lets look at this another way.

A 3.5 v8 is really 2x 1.750 engines.

The enigine is not very efficient, 3.5 litres when tweaked will maybe do 200 BHP.

My turbo blade engine has 22mm water pipes, this is 200 BHP out of 900 cc, the engine is then smaller so has less area to sink the heat, this all cools through a polo rad and oil cooler.

So based upon this you will easily be okay on 22mm per bank

Regards Mark

richardm6994

posted on 4/2/13 at 07:19 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, thanks for your thoughts....mine is a 3.9 build to hopefully make 250-260 bhp, but same theory applies.

I would really like to hear from anyone who has ran a similar set up

richardm6994

posted on 5/2/13 at 09:07 PM Reply With Quote
Hi folks....I'm really looking for some advice on this....pleaseeeee

nike5

posted on 7/2/13 at 08:44 AM Reply With Quote
If your question concerns your proposed blanking plate.
I can not really help, as not seen this before. Except to ask.
You have compared hose sizes, so that volume of water within hoses are similar, but to compare, do you need to consider the interior diameter/restriction of the blue hose fitting that you are using (I assume these are less that 16mm).
I don't know if this fact matters, is it like putting hand over end of hose pipe. Same amount of water is supplied, but at greater pressure/speed. Or not enough of difference to matter.

If your question concerns use of the electric water pump on a V8.
I have a 3.9 Westfield with a comfortable 240bhp - whilst not as powerful as yours, I use a Davis Craig EWP80
(at the time, the larger one was not sold)

Davies Craig EWP80 Electric Water Pump Sidecar Trike | eBay

Found that the small Westfield radiator was inadequate, changed to a larger radiator (overheating is a popular problem with modified SEights irrespecive of if they has an electric water pump or not)
Not cheap at £480 http://www.mulfab.co.uk/our-products/44/aluminium-radiators-cooling-systems/westfield-seight-radiator
Seem to remember Robin Hoods having a larger nose cone, so you may already have a larger radiator than a westfield?

I run the water pump constantly on ignition live (I do not use the Davis Craig water pump controller)

I used the standard water pump. Removed the pulley, and removed inards, leaving a hole on the water pump housing, which I had blanked off (welded).
So I am using the traditional sized one pipe feed to engine.

I do not have a heater (although this would server to increase the water capacity of engine, as this is another radiator with fan)

Reliability - If it goes wrong you are not as easy to get hold of from a local parts shop.
I have been running this set up for approx 10 years. Today I shall be replacing the water pump for the second time. If you want pictures now is time to ask, as it is all exposed.

Drain, it does draw electricity, I am fine using by daihatsu alternator, and Red top 25 battery. Although prolonged engine stop start in queues does eventually drain battery if it is not given a proper run.

Contact me if you want more information on my set up.

Hope I have been of some help.

Kevin

(a friend of mine, with a westfield, using your larger water pump, traditional water pump housing, large radiator, engine producing 330bhp, so electric pump is capable of cooling your engine)

richardm6994

posted on 7/2/13 at 01:50 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for your input! It's good to hear that the ewp is up to the job!

I'm using a larger 4 core rad as I already figured this would need upgrading.

My biggest concern was regarding the pressure drop / water restriction when I divide my main hose into 2 22mm hoses going to the plate.

Anyway, I've now tweeked the design and will be using 2 28mm dia connections onto the plate! I'm hopful that these will be big enough to allow enough flow through into the engine! (fingers crossed).

snakebelly

posted on 7/2/13 at 02:07 PM Reply With Quote
have run an ewp on our race Avon for years, they are a good amount more efficient than an old pulley driven unit, as above we run it on a constant live without a controller and let the thermostat open and close as necessary,never had an issue. I think youll be absolutely fine.....IMO!
richardm6994

posted on 7/2/13 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
this is all good to hear!

locostbuilders to the rescue!!!!!!

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.