Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Body Conversion on existing kit car
JimSpencer

posted on 14/2/13 at 06:59 PM Reply With Quote
Body Conversion on existing kit car

Hi

Ok I know you can do a body conversion on say a MX5 and make it look like a 250GTO and it not need an IVA.

So

Could you take something like a Sylva Mojo and fit a coupe body to it? and as long as the chassis and running gear stay as is - would that be Ok too?

Sorry if this has been covered somewhere else and i've missed it

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 14/2/13 at 07:11 PM Reply With Quote
I've often wondered this too.

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

maccmike

posted on 14/2/13 at 07:12 PM Reply With Quote
me too
MK9R

posted on 14/2/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
You can make anything fit with enough work. The new GM MNR body we are building will fit any car with same same track as as sierra/MNR, we have designed so a chunk can be cut out the middle to shorten the wheelbase (our gm3 will be shorter than a standard MNR)

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 14/2/13 at 07:18 PM Reply With Quote
I don't see why not - it is reckoned that if you don't alter the chassis then you don't need an IVA test on a regular car so I don't see why that should be any different for a kit car that has already passed the test

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Slimy38

posted on 14/2/13 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
That was going to be my first plan, build and IVA a generic Haynes roadster, then rebody it with the Cyana bodykit (similar in look to Raw Phoenix).

But since I'm starting from scratch I think I'll just go straight to the full body.

CRAIGR
Contributor

Posts 2755
Registered 30/8/05
Location Sussex

Photo Archive Go!
Building: Built v8 striker/blade fury/ R1 westy,now zetec we

posted on 14/2/13 at 07:22 PM Reply With Quote
Must be possible as you see lots of Duttons that have completely different bodies
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 14/2/13 at 08:26 PM Reply With Quote
Here's an interesting 'Dutton' for example...

MK Indy based kit car (Track/Hill climb car) | eBay

..and yes, we can guess what's happened here.

iank

posted on 14/2/13 at 08:33 PM Reply With Quote
Yes if you don't modify the chassis. V5 goes with the chassis.

Using a dutton V5 on a different spaceframe is ringing and illegal.

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

jeffw

posted on 14/2/13 at 08:59 PM Reply With Quote
You can easily fit a Phoenix body to a striker..

russbost

posted on 14/2/13 at 09:09 PM Reply With Quote
As long as whatever the vehicle you're talking about has already been registered (& preferably you have current V5, insurance, MoT etc.) then you can put whatever body you like on it PROVIDING you do NOT modify the chassis with cutting or welding - bolting or rivetting bits onto it is, I believe, fine, in fact I think if you're adding bits like outriggers to support a body, then I THINK it's fine to weld those on, again providing you're not cutting/modifying the main frame. However you obviously need to let the insurance know & if the body style is substantially different, ie from open sports to hardtop coupe, then you should probably also let DVLA know, but I wouldn't have thought they should need any inspection for this - might be worth taking pics to show the nature of the conversion just so you have proof. All IMHO of course

I no longer run Furore Products or Furore Cars Ltd, but would still highly recommend them for Acewell dashes, projector headlights, dominator headlights, indicators, mirrors etc, best prices in the UK! Take a look at http://www.furoreproducts.co.uk/ or find more parts on Ebay, user names furoreltd & furoreproducts, discounts available for LCB users.
Don't forget Stainless Steel Braided brake hoses, made to your exact requirements in any of around 16 colours. http://shop.ebay.co.uk/furoreproducts/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
chillis

posted on 14/2/13 at 10:37 PM Reply With Quote
To retain the original ID you need the unmodified chassis or body/chassis if unit construction, and I believe either all the original running gear or some of the major running gear from the donor, you'd need to check on what you'd need to retain. So if you were to fit a sports 2000 style body over an unmodified locost its probably ok and you'd only need to record changes to body/ appearance. Can see no reason why the donor couldn't be a kit car but you would no doubt come it for loads of stick from people claiming ringer if it didn't look like the kit it was. Is this just to get round the IVA ? As these days a properly IVA'd car would be worth more money.

Never under estimate the ingenuity of an idiot!

froggy

posted on 15/2/13 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
I'm building a 32coupe roadster on an mk Indy chassis at the moment but the body needs huge chunks cutting out to get the proportions right

[IMG]http://i144.photobucket.com/albums/r187/froggy_0[IMG]

iank

posted on 15/2/13 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
Looks very good, what are you going to do with the front end where it's wider than the radiator surround?

--
Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience.
Anonymous

froggy

posted on 15/2/13 at 10:27 AM Reply With Quote
It's not a good pic but the grill is the same width as the chassis . My Indy chassis is a bit wider round the pedal area hence the gap in the body at the front but most standard 7 type chassis would be a good fit for the roadster body other than cutting 20" out of length to get the proportions right .

Not Anumber

posted on 15/2/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
That is a superb project Froggy. Where did you get the body ? Have you hadto cut away part of the upper tubes at the side to get doors that open ?
doddy

posted on 15/2/13 at 06:42 PM Reply With Quote
ive got a dutton rolling chassis and v5 for sale if any one wants one

https://www.ebay.co.uk/str/4x4wheels

JimSpencer

posted on 16/2/13 at 10:47 AM Reply With Quote
Hi

Thanks for all the above, the potential project is simply to re-body an already IVA'd mojo into a Coupe, my take on the regs is as per the above 'the same rules apply as per a normal homologated car' so as long as the entire driveable chassis remains as is it's kosher.

Thanks - will crack on seeing if I can make this work!

froggy

posted on 16/2/13 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
im going to build a spine down the centre like the old lotus elite and drop the side tubes a bit to have a 3/4 door or enough depth to have a wind down window . i have room to run the tube under the bellhousing so i have a closed frame at the front bulkhead

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.