Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Clutch testing?
alfasudsprint

posted on 27/9/04 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Clutch testing?

Any ideas on how to test if the clutch is diengaging correctly without the engine running?
Am playing around with mine (oo-er!) its hydraulic, should I be able to push the release arm easily with my fingers?...that is without the return spring attached!
Am pretty sure the cylinders are not working well as the pedal does not reurn, and when pulled manually the lower cylinder does not return either, completely...any ideas to free them up...tried WD40...need to dissassemble and grease?

thanks
Tim

hortimech

posted on 28/9/04 at 11:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by alfasudsprint

Am pretty sure the cylinders are not working well as the pedal does not reurn, and when pulled manually the lower cylinder does not return either, completely...any ideas to free them up...tried WD40...need to dissassemble and grease?

thanks
Tim

what you have there is a foot operated hydraulic pump and a single acting linear actuator. This means the oil flows under pressure one way only, its the spring that makes it return. so if moving the pedal causes the cylinder to extend there is nothing wrong with it, but if its spongy it may require bleeding. Do not grease the cylinder, it will probably attack the seals.

Why does everything happen to me

theconrodkid

posted on 28/9/04 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
when cylinders leak they are normally past their sell by date and ready for the bin,wd or grease is sure to kill the seals

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

alfasudsprint

posted on 28/9/04 at 02:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks guys...no leaks thank God, so need to look at the 2 return springs then.
Does everyone test their clutch when the engine's running? Any other ideas?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.