Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: expensive rear pads necessary?
rodgling

posted on 17/2/13 at 10:17 PM Reply With Quote
expensive rear pads necessary?

I've just upgraded my front pads from the-cheapest-pads-i-could-find-on-ebay to Carbonne Lorraine CL5+. I've had to dial the bias a long way towards the back and I'm still not convinced the rears are doing enough work - do most people fit expensive pads all round, or just on the front and use more basic/cheap pads on the back?
Custardpants

posted on 17/2/13 at 10:41 PM Reply With Quote
Im sure some will advocate running the same compound all round, but I run cheap pads at the back because my engine has a lot of natural engine braking going into the rear axle. At first I couldn't work out why the car was so prone to oversteer unless the throttle was feathered slightly.
RK

posted on 18/2/13 at 01:37 AM Reply With Quote
normally, I wouldn't think the rear did a lot of braking, which is why I haven't replaced my rears with racing compounds either. The different compound made braking a lot better, although as usual, you really have to stomp on it compared to a regular car.
britishtrident

posted on 18/2/13 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
The reason for matching front and rear pads is to ensure the front/rear brake bias doesn’t change when the brakes warm up.

One of things I found with brake balance bars is that their effect becomes much less sensitive the further away from the centre position they are adjusted.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

r1_pete

posted on 18/2/13 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
Same pads all round would maintain brake balance, and effectively reduce pedal pressure required once up to working temperature.

But, be careful your brakes then dont out perform your tyres & Suspension, or its all counter productive.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 18/2/13 at 09:16 AM Reply With Quote
Reading that, I'd ask the question - is the front braking too severe?

The standard Sierra caliper at the back normally does a great job on my cars, regardless of pad, with a 0.7" master.

rodgling

posted on 18/2/13 at 10:42 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by britishtrident
The reason for matching front and rear pads is to ensure the front/rear brake bias doesn’t change when the brakes warm up.

Shouldn't be an issue as the CL5+ pads are supposed to work from cold and have a fairly flat response to temperature.

quote:
Originally posted by RK
normally, I wouldn't think the rear did a lot of braking

I've heard it's about 33% on a 7, so, enough that it needs to be right.

Hmm... probably more testing required.

MikeRJ

posted on 18/2/13 at 11:25 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
quote:

Shouldn't be an issue as the CL5+ pads are supposed to work from cold and have a fairly flat response to temperature.

Whereas cheap road pads work well from cold but quickly fall off as they get hot...

ceebmoj

posted on 18/2/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Custardpants
my engine has a lot of natural engine braking going into the rear axle. At first I couldn't work out why the car was so prone to oversteer unless the throttle was feathered slightly.

That relay caught me out in the damp the first couple of times.

[Edited on 18/2/13 by ceebmoj]

rodgling

posted on 19/2/13 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MikeRJ
quote:
Originally posted by rodgling
quote:

Whereas cheap road pads work well from cold but quickly fall off as they get hot...

That's a fair point, I do want the rears to continue to contribute after a few hard laps.

So I've now got a set of rears too (thanks to clbraking.co.uk for the fast delivery), will try and get some test driving in at the weekend if the weather stays nice.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.