Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Half shaft bearing replacement
Disgruntled karter

posted on 5/3/13 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Half shaft bearing replacement

Can anybody tell me how to re fit half shaft bearing to (english) Ford halfshafts, have got the old bearing off just need to refit the new one, was thinking of drifting it on with a pipe over the half shaft but don't want to ruin a new bearing if this won't work or somebody has a better way of doing it.

Many Thanks Graham

Daddylonglegs

posted on 5/3/13 at 12:53 PM Reply With Quote
I've got an English axle and I had the bearings replaced by a local garage using their press. Those babies are on pretty tight, so best to do it right.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

pewe

posted on 5/3/13 at 03:27 PM Reply With Quote
As Daddylonglegs above ^^ says they are normally they're too tight to drift off and on yourself so it needs a press.
I asked my local Motor Accessory shop for a garage who could do it and they put me onto someone who did it for beer tokens.
Also IIRC there's a dust shield which needs to go on before the bearing - just ensure whoever is doing it puts it the correct way round.
If you're really stuck PM me and I'll dig out the garage in Caversham who did it for me.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

britishtrident

posted on 5/3/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
No need for a press to remove or replace, in fact I know of no press that could remove the inner race.

You have to remove the old bearing by forcing off the outer then splitting the inner race and bearing retainer. Use an angle grinder to create a flat then a drill then spit the inner race with a cold chisel.

To put the new bearing on first polish up the shaft then heat the bearing in a bucket of oil (so it dosen't get too hot) and drop the hot bearing over the shaft, make 100% sure it is the correct way round and the retainer plate is put on first, then drift it home with a length of stout tube longer than half shaft The tube needs to be the diameter right size and cut squarely so the ends to bear on the inner race.

The bearing retainer ring can simply be heated to about 400c with a blow lamp then dropped over and driffted home tight against the bearing.

[Edited on 5/3/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.