Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Ebay - Reserve Price
perksy

posted on 9/3/13 at 11:19 AM Reply With Quote
Ebay - Reserve Price

Am i right in thinking that you can't now set a Reserve price of less than £50 on ebay ?

Trying to set a reserve of £20 on a piece of furniture and it ain't having it

Thanks

Perksy

slingshot2000

posted on 9/3/13 at 11:35 AM Reply With Quote
Surely you can set your startting price at £20.00. Is that not just the same as a £20.00 reserve price ?

Regards
Jon

Slimy38

posted on 9/3/13 at 12:03 PM Reply With Quote
The reserve has always been £50 minimum. As Jon says, you can set a starting price at a lower amount.

Personally I don't like reserve prices, you have no idea what the person actually wants for the item. At least a starting price gives a guide on the perceived value of the item.

[Edited on 9/3/13 by Slimy38]

Andybarbet

posted on 9/3/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Im not sure but i always start my auctions at the minimum price i would accept.

Give a man a fish & it will feed him for a day, give him a fishing rod & you've saved a fish.

perksy

posted on 9/3/13 at 12:32 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks lads

Didn't realise it has always been £50 and as said it can started at the 'right' price.

ReMan

posted on 9/3/13 at 01:37 PM Reply With Quote
Personally i think having a start price also reduced the numer or twat chancers who bid 99p on everything on ebay on the off chance

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

morcus

posted on 9/3/13 at 07:14 PM Reply With Quote
I've never seen the point in a reserve when you choose the start price, as others have said, it's just annoying, and you have to pay extra.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Lightning

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:04 PM Reply With Quote
ditto. Never saw the point of reserve. Also people who wont tell you what the reserve is. I then don't bid. . I was intersted in a car 100 miles away. I'm not going to drive all that way if the reserve ois stupid. Clearly they dont want to sell

Steve

slingshot2000

posted on 9/3/13 at 10:49 PM Reply With Quote
^^^ Exactly ! It is equally stupid when sellers post "no reserve", but when you go and have a look, their starting price is something stupid. No reserve means that ANY bid, no matter how small, and the item is SOLD !

Ebay seems to operate in a little world all to it's self with it's own rules and ideas.

Regards
Jon

Ninehigh

posted on 10/3/13 at 07:40 AM Reply With Quote
If I'm buying something off ebay I always just stick in the maximum amount I'm willing to pay for it. If I get outbid I get outbid (although I have on occasion gone over my limit by a quid or two) and if it's less than the reserve then that's just tough on us both too

rusty nuts

posted on 10/3/13 at 08:03 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
Personally i think having a start price also reduced the numer or twat chancers who bid 99p on everything on ebay on the off chance

If someones stupid enough to not put a start price on without a reserve price then why shouldn't a buyer put in a 99p bid??

Slimy38

posted on 10/3/13 at 09:01 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by slingshot2000

Ebay seems to operate in a little world all to it's self with it's own rules and ideas.

Regards
Jon

The big problem I see with Ebay is that it's not an auction in the normal sense. If Sotheby's sold their paintings and other arty cr4p by saying 'bidding ends at 7:30 on the dot' then there would be a major headache for the auctioneer and some priceless antiques being sold for a fraction of the price.

If Ebay actually worked like an auction, and simply added on thirty seconds to the end time whenever a bid was placed, it would be a bit fairer on everyone. Well, except for those people who do everything through Goofbay's auction sniper...

matt_gsxr

posted on 10/3/13 at 09:34 AM Reply With Quote
quote:

If you run an organization that has near 100% market share, $3Billion revenue and year on year growth of over 20% then that buys you the right to make up rules to favour yourself.

Shame there isn't a credible alternative to provide competition but auction sites work best when they are big.

ReMan

posted on 11/3/13 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by matt_gsxr
quote:

If you run an organization that has near 100% market share, $3Billion revenue and year on year growth of over 20% then that buys you the right to make up rules to favour yourself.

Shame there isn't a credible alternative to provide competition but auction sites work best when they are big.

Unfortunatly +1

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.