[Edited on 19/3/13 by Lightning]

Steve

Lightning

posted on 19/3/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote

[Edited on 19/3/13 by Lightning]

Steve

Westy1994

posted on 19/3/13 at 04:38 PM Reply With Quote
What a shame... I never had a TR but the old Triumphs did rust pretty fast. The first 18 inches of my old Spitty were rotten, just like the pics there, it was only 20 years old at the time.....

Project anyone !!!!, lol.

mookaloid

posted on 19/3/13 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
I think that is restorable

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

T66

posted on 19/3/13 at 04:51 PM Reply With Quote
It is a shame when a classic like that is left to die...

Westy1994

posted on 19/3/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
Just checked a few places, its near as dam it £500 just for a bootlid, never mind the wings and what might be lurking below the panels !!!!!

A whole new shell you want, ok how does £31k sound, no honestly 31 thousand pounds

"Revington TR are proud to be able to offer complete body shells for all Yes All, variants of TR2 3B, seven types in all. Available in steel (or aluminium to special order). Our shells are built on our own jig and include hinges and catches on complete shells. Our shells are supplied under original part numbers excluding a bonnet. Bonnets can be supplied in steel or aluminium as required. Also, currently we have a stock of good second-hand bonnets. We also offer complete shells, with an original good bonnet. The part numbers below should be used as a guide as often, a better product can be produced using parts of your existing shell (if you have one!). "

Ex VAT: £25,984.55
complete body shell in transport primer - including bonnet Inc VAT: £31,181.46

mookaloid

posted on 19/3/13 at 05:11 PM Reply With Quote
£31k Ouch

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

Zagato

posted on 19/3/13 at 05:26 PM Reply With Quote
That is the exact reason I want modern classic not another rusting nightmare. My choice has funnily been a TR4 but I'm going for a Caterham for the same money (when my boat is sold). Triumphs have continued to rise in price and the Caterham will fall in value but I'm fed up with after market crap parts, fighting off the inevitable rust and being part of the snobbery around the Triumph scene (I'm generalising here!).

Modern mechanicals, no rust, drive it in the rain, use it and enjoy it, sod the depreciation... Worry free motoring withy a Caterham er I hope...

Shame to see it rotting away like that though - it's only good for parts now, it's a crime!

I wonder if Fangio 5million car recently supposedly found in a barn was in that nick!!

[Edited on 19/3/13 by Zagato]

[Edited on 19/3/13 by Zagato]

Confused but excited.

posted on 19/3/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
Dash and tail lights are possible donor parts.
If you want a good price, list your surplus Landrover tail lights as Triumph, with a start price of £50 each.

[Edited on 19/3/13 by Confused but excited.]

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

Lightning

posted on 19/3/13 at 06:50 PM Reply With Quote
There was also TR4's TR5 TR6 TR7's Stags etc

Steve

Westy1994

posted on 19/3/13 at 06:55 PM Reply With Quote
All in the same condition Steve?, owner wants shooting if that's the case. Its not as if they are worth anything like this ( well not yet anyway) so why let them get worse, is it a graveyard for old cars or something, you would get more for them as scrap metal ( ok not much metal left but you get my point) - very bizarre
Zagato

posted on 20/3/13 at 08:08 AM Reply With Quote
It's actually worth quite a few quid, even broken - dashboard, steering wheel, axles, engine, seats and all those hard to find bits. Worse ones have been restored but doubt you'd make money on it unless you shipped it over to Poland! Nice ones can go for 25K+

Series 1, Jag E Type basket cases like this can be 10K+ with a restored price of 60K+

plentywahalla

posted on 20/3/13 at 08:45 AM Reply With Quote
Definately restorable. Triumph never owned their own sheet metal production. It was all subbed out to Pressed Steel Fisher, so they continued using a separate chassis construction for long after their competitors went unitary.

Their chassis were fairly robust and the body panels are all bolt on. The engines derived from Massey Furguson petrol/paraffin tractor mills are bulletproof. Thirty years ago I restored a barn find TR4a and according to dvla its still taxed and insured somewhere (JPK 832C where are you??)

Rules are for the guidance of wise men ... and the obedience of fools. (anon)

mcerd1

posted on 20/3/13 at 09:47 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plentywahalla
The engines derived from Massey Furguson petrol/paraffin tractor mills are bulletproof.

actually the engine in most of the Ferguson TE20's was derived from a 'Standard Motor Company' petrol inline 4 car engine
they made a whole 26bhp

the TVO (Tractor Vaposising Oil - a sort of high octane pariffin) variants came later on to reduce fuel costs
and my the time they were being sold as Massey-Ferguson they were diesel...

-

Lightning

posted on 20/3/13 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
I'm trying to trace the owner as i particularly like the TR5. The Bungalow next door doesn't know who owns the property now.

Keeping location hush hush till then

Steve

Not Anumber

posted on 20/3/13 at 01:14 PM Reply With Quote
Any joy trying to trace the owner via the number plate ?

inkafone

posted on 20/3/13 at 01:20 PM Reply With Quote
I had A TR3a in the 60's/70's and still have fond memories of it. The engine was more robust than bulletproof - there was a harmonic @ 4200 revs (85mph without overdrive) and if held for some time the crankshaft snapped as mine did going over the Severn bridge. Replaced it with the tractor version as it was much cheaper than from Triumph (same part number though).

This should be at Stoneleigh.

[Edited on 20/3/13 by inkafone]

plentywahalla

posted on 20/3/13 at 03:20 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by mcerd1
quote:
The engines derived from Massey Furguson petrol/paraffin tractor mills are bulletproof.

actually the engine in most of the Ferguson TE20's was derived from a 'Standard Motor Company' petrol inline 4 car engine
they made a whole 26bhp

the TVO (Tractor Vaposising Oil - a sort of high octane pariffin) variants came later on to reduce fuel costs
and my the time they were being sold as Massey-Ferguson they were diesel...

At the risk of becoming nerdy .....

The Ferguson TE20 sold in the UK was built for Ferguson Tractors from 1945 by the Standard Motor Co. They developed a new 4 cyl engine for it which they later installed in their own Vanguard in 1947, and later fitted to all the TR's in various capacities up to the TR4a.

To make running costs lower the engines were developed to be able start on expensive petrol and when warm switched to Paraffin (TVO - not the same stuff as you use to heat your greenhouse!!).

Ferguson merged with Massey Harris to form Massey Ferguson in 1953. The production of the 'Fergie' TE20 was continued until 1956.

[Edited on 20/3/13 by plentywahalla]

mcerd1

posted on 20/3/13 at 03:45 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
The Ferguson TE20 sold in the UK was built for Ferguson Tractors from 1945 by the Standard Triumph Motor Co. They developed a new 4 cyl engine for it which they later installed in their own Vanguard in 1947....

but the standard engine wasn't in the TE20, it was in the TEA20 from 1947 onwards
(I had a 1948 '80mm' one of these untill a couple of years ago)

the first TE20's actually had Continental Z-120 engines instead

quote:
Ferguson merged with Massey Harris to form Massey Ferguson in 1953. The production of the 'Fergie' TE20 was continued until 1956.

but they called themself ''Massey-Harris-Ferguson" and painted them grey (or grey & gold) untill 1957-8 when they shortened the name and launched the MF35 and started painting them red & grey

[Edited on 20/3/2013 by mcerd1]

-

loggyboy

posted on 20/3/13 at 04:09 PM Reply With Quote

Mistral Motorsport

plentywahalla

posted on 20/3/13 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
quote:
The Ferguson TE20 sold in the UK was built for Ferguson Tractors from 1945 by the Standard Triumph Motor Co. They developed a new 4 cyl engine for it which they later installed in their own Vanguard in 1947....

but the standard engine wasn't in the TE20, it was in the TEA20 from 1947 onwards
(I had a 1948 '80mm' one of these untill a couple of years ago)

the first TE20's actually had Continental Z-120 engines instead

quote:

but they called themself ''Massey-Harris-Ferguson" and painted them grey (or grey & gold) untill 1957-8 when they shortened the name and launched the MF35 and started painting them red & grey

[Edited on 20/3/2013 by mcerd1]

You are entirely right of course ... but there was no sharp cut off from the US built TO20 (later sold as TE20) with the Continental engine, and the UK built TE20 with the Standard engine.

My original assertion that the engine found in the TR3a first saw the light of day in a Ferguson Tractor is still correct.

mcerd1

posted on 20/3/13 at 04:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
but there was no sharp cut off from the US built TO20 (later sold as TE20) with the Continental engine, and the UK built TE20 with the Standard engine.

well in the best of old british traditions - why build one type at a time when you can build 3 similar types at the same time in 3 different factories for 3 times the price

the man in question fell out with so many people its amazing he managed to build so many tractors at all

-

plentywahalla

posted on 20/3/13 at 05:21 PM Reply With Quote
quote:

the man in question fell out with so many people its amazing he managed to build so many tractors at all

Agreed ... But he was not just the designer of the classic 'little Grey Fergie', but also the 3 point linkage and the Ferguson Formula 4 wheel drive.

So many brilliant people are a pain to deal with.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.