Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Where to have a few fun laps!
Zagato

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:06 AM Reply With Quote
Where to have a few fun laps!

I don't want to race seriously and don't want to spec up a car with racing roll cages etc but would like to have a few fun non damaging laps somewhere every now and then. Is this possible?

No not laps of the M25 or donuts in a Halfrauds car park

blakep82

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:22 AM Reply With Quote
Track day! Most race tracks and disused airfields have them. Check brands hatch website

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

Zagato

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:36 AM Reply With Quote
Thanks for that and it's only 40 mins away £175 though. Ouch! Shame they don't do half days for half the price.
jeffw

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:37 AM Reply With Quote
They do and also evenings in the Summer.

mark chandler

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I would recommend at a minimum a decent braced roll bar anyway, although I have not tipped my little car over the thought of doing so without is not good.

You will get red mist, you will at some point slide off.

You cannot guarantee not hitting anything or anything not hitting you, even spinning on a flat airfield the tyres may dig in.

puma931

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by jeffw
They do and also evenings in the Summer.

+1 great value.

Zagato

posted on 20/3/13 at 10:57 AM Reply With Quote
Oh yeah £75, just the job

http://www.brandshatch.co.uk/trackdays/car-calendar.aspx

Jasper

posted on 20/3/13 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
A few of us are booked in to the evening session at Brands on the 9th April, if you've never driven it before you must, Paddock Hill bend has to be experienced to be believed!

Brands is never cheap, but it is local

If you're not living life on the edge you're taking up too much room.

loggyboy

posted on 20/3/13 at 11:43 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper
A few of us are booked in to the evening session at Brands on the 9th April, if you've never driven it before you must, Paddock Hill bend has to be experienced to be believed!

I was just about to suggest the same thing.
you can always book the 20min taster sessions for about £25, they do them in the evenings.
I did a full day last year with my bro, we shared the car and costs, it was £100 for the session, £25 for an extra driver, meaning about £60 each plus a tank of fuel. Bargain.

Mistral Motorsport

whitestu

posted on 20/3/13 at 12:22 PM Reply With Quote
Abingdon airfield is a nice event with plenty of space. Motorsports Events run trackdays there.

Stu

RK

posted on 20/3/13 at 12:31 PM Reply With Quote
Don't the clubs have track days? Does SKCC for example? There is a Kent Kit Car Club too, I know, as well.
pewe

posted on 20/3/13 at 12:47 PM Reply With Quote
Autosolos offer you the chance to drive against the clock in a way you'd not normally drive on the road and it's great fun!
It's grass roots motorsport - no need for a comp licence or anything fancy in the way of equipment.
Typically once you've joined a club (mine is Farnborough District Motor Club - FDMC) for £25pa the entry fee is £35 per event.
Apart from tyre wear there's not much else expenditure.
There's one organised by Oxford Motor Club on 5th May at Silverstone - suggest you go along to see whatit's all about - youtube has a few clips as well.
Also Car Limits organise driving days at North Weald to give you ataster for Driving and Track days.
HTH.
Cheers, Pewe10

[Edited on 20/3/13 by pewe]

ashg

posted on 20/3/13 at 01:10 PM Reply With Quote
lyden hill do some Sundays where its £20 a session or £90 for the day.

Anything With Tits or Wheels Will cost you MONEY!!

Haynes Roadster (Finished)
Exocet (Finished & Sold)
New Project (Started)

loggyboy

posted on 20/3/13 at 01:19 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by pewe
Autosolos offer you the chance to drive against the clock in a way you'd not normally drive on the road and it's great fun!
It's grass roots motorsport - no need for a comp licence or anything fancy in the way of equipment.
Typically once you've joined a club (mine is Farnborough District Motor Club - FDMC) for £25pa the entry fee is £35 per event.
Apart from tyre wear there's not much else expenditure.
There's one organised by Oxford Motor Club on 5th May at Silverstone - suggest you go along to see whatit's all about - youtube has a few clips as well.

Indeed, Autosolo is great fun and v cheap for an competive event. Ive been doing them for years, allthough ive not done one in ages, I plan on getting back in to them for FDMCs first event in may.
http://fdmc.org.uk/calendar.php
http://fdmc.org.uk/autosolos.php

Mistral Motorsport

bi22le

posted on 20/3/13 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by loggyboy
quote:
Originally posted by Jasper

I was just about to suggest the same thing.
you can always book the 20min taster sessions for about £25, they do them in the evenings.

+1 These are called novice seesions or taster sessions. They actually only allow cars \ drivers out that have done LESS than 3 trackdays at any MSV circuit so all of the drivers are new to track days and you wont get any race cars driving like loons.

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Zagato

posted on 20/3/13 at 02:47 PM Reply With Quote
Sounds great I am aching to get a Caterham (despite the price! sod it, car for life but maybe not a wife for life afterwards)
build it and go on some tours and laps, it will have to wait though, I want one more season out of my boat before i sell to raise the readies.

I should of built a seven of some type years ago... will get their in the end though

Daddylonglegs

posted on 20/3/13 at 05:04 PM Reply With Quote
Never been myself, but apparently Llandow is great as a beginners track.

It looks like the Midget is winning at the moment......

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.