Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Under the dash?
rdodger

posted on 24/3/13 at 08:27 PM Reply With Quote
Under the dash?

Evening all.

I am fitting the body/dash at the moment and was wondering how far the IVA man will delve under the dash with one of his nasty spheres (100mm I guess down there?). Will I have to completely enclose the underside?

Is it right the 165mm sphere is used 6" above the seat base and 100mm sphere below that?

Cheers

Dooey99

posted on 24/3/13 at 10:33 PM Reply With Quote
what are these spheres and what do you check?

Less weight more speed, more power more speed

If in doubt, give it a clout

loggyboy

posted on 24/3/13 at 10:46 PM Reply With Quote
There' s a very clear diagram in the manual, section 12.

Mistral Motorsport

theconrodkid

posted on 25/3/13 at 08:10 AM Reply With Quote
panel it in...nothing to test,job done

who cares who wins
pass the pork pies

40inches

posted on 25/3/13 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theconrodkid
panel it in...nothing to test,job done

Yep, I lined mine with corrugated plastic sheet, like corrugated cardboard, but........plastic

adithorp

posted on 25/3/13 at 08:32 AM Reply With Quote
As far as I remember they use the ball to feel for anything, moving it in a horizontal plane (no poking upwards); So if the edge was higher than the dash edge it was OK; That was SVA though.

I put a piece of carpet across. I used sticky back velcro to attatch it to the back of the rolled edge of the dash and to the scuttle. It only fell off last week. They did look up behind mine with a mirror for sharp stuff and dodgy wiring. He asked me to remove it to see the wiring was secure but that was all. I had put nut covers and edge trim on anything low anyway.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

adithorp

posted on 25/3/13 at 08:38 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dooey99
what are these spheres and what do you check?

The speres are used to feel around for contactable edges inside and outside the car. Any edges it can touch have to be radiused to a minimum degree.

If you aren't aware of the spheres then I imagine there's a whole load of other important IVA test information you're missing. If you don't want to fail IVA you need to read the manual. Sharp edges are a common fail point.

Slimy38

posted on 25/3/13 at 08:39 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by rdodger
Evening all.

I am fitting the body/dash at the moment and was wondering how far the IVA man will delve under the dash with one of his nasty spheres (100mm I guess down there?). Will I have to completely enclose the underside?

Is it right the 165mm sphere is used 6" above the seat base and 100mm sphere below that?

Cheers

In practical terms, think about what your knees would hit on a front impact, and make sure it's smooth...

rdodger

posted on 25/3/13 at 12:57 PM Reply With Quote
Thaks for all the advice. I will get to it!
whitestu

posted on 25/3/13 at 01:22 PM Reply With Quote
Are all centres now consistent with how they check? When I did my SVA in 2006 the tester didn't check the raduis of anything and certainly didn't use any spheres.

Stu

adithorp

posted on 25/3/13 at 02:00 PM Reply With Quote
They didn't get the spheres or radius gauges out when they SVA'd mine either. I raised the point (after I had the pass in my hand) and the tester said...

"I've tested enough cars to know, what the sphere would reach, what it wouldn't and that your radii were more than required."

plantman

posted on 28/3/13 at 10:01 PM Reply With Quote
cover it all job done my tester said 'spot on that will save me alot of work'
L5W

posted on 28/3/13 at 10:18 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by plantman

Similar to my IVA tester, a quick glance and I got the all clear. I covered the under dash area with piece of old carpet tile, which was an off cut I scavenged from our office revamp at work so completely free, a nice locost solution

crud pic, but here is said carpet tile half in place, the front edge just clips in behind the dash

Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

ctwv50

posted on 18/8/14 at 06:14 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L5W
quote:
Originally posted by plantman

Similar to my IVA tester, a quick glance and I got the all clear. I covered the under dash area with piece of old carpet tile, which was an off cut I scavenged from our office revamp at work so completely free, a nice locost solution

crud pic, but here is said carpet tile half in place, the front edge just clips in behind the dash

Lee

How the hell did you make that dash? Looks really good.

Jenko

posted on 18/8/14 at 08:00 PM Reply With Quote
If I'm not mistaken, it looks like an mk dash covered with 3m di-noc. It's great stuff and when heated can bend and wrap complex shapes.

MY BLOG - http://westfieldv8.blogspot.co.uk/

L5W

posted on 19/8/14 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
Jenko is correct. Its MK's carbon fibre dash which I messed up so covered it fake carbon fibre! I'd attempted to get the digi dash inside the radius exclusion zone and when complete, I realised the speed reading was partially obscured by the steering wheel. you can just see a witness mark to the top right of the digi dash where the hole for the loom plug has been filled in and covered with the wrap.

Lee

http://l5w-mk-indy-zetec.blogspot.com/

ctwv50

posted on 19/8/14 at 08:20 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by L5W
Jenko is correct. Its MK's carbon fibre dash which I messed up so covered it fake carbon fibre! I'd attempted to get the digi dash inside the radius exclusion zone and when complete, I realised the speed reading was partially obscured by the steering wheel. you can just see a witness mark to the top right of the digi dash where the hole for the loom plug has been filled in and covered with the wrap.

Lee

I see, would these dashes fit an agm scuttle on a haynes roadster? Does mk still make them? Thanks

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.