Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Car body mould idea
number-1

posted on 26/3/13 at 07:24 PM Reply With Quote
Car body mould idea

My body on The Mook is ally. Its far from perfect and id like to do a few things to it.

Any opinions/advice re looking into using the existing body as a mould to make a fiberglass body for it? Ive never used the stuff and am only playing with the idea at the moment.

Has anyone ever done this? Would it be expensive or a PITA to do?

Pics of the car are in my archive

N1

Carbonman

posted on 26/3/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Hi, It is certainly doable although it does seem a shame to replace that nice ally. You would need to spend quite a bit of time getting the existing body to a standard to mould off. Looks like you would have some 3 even 4 piece split moulds to make. Quite a big job especially if you haven't done any mould making before, but it would give you the chance to make changes easily. I have done MGB's and Midgets in the past and you have to sell a few bodyshells to recoup the cost of the moulds.

Carbon Copies Ltd

NOTE:This user is registered as a LocostBuilders trader and may offer commercial services to other users
tegwin

posted on 26/3/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
That is quite a cool looking car... would be a shame to loose the ally body..

Yes you could use filler/foam/wood bonded to the alloy etc to change the body shape slightly and then polish it all up and take moulds from the original body which effecivly becomes your "plug"

Making the moulds would be a very long process, once you have them you then have to actually make the body panels.

A very rough guess, I would think you could easily sink £500-£1000 in materials to get the job done properly...Unless you know what you are doing you could easily make a ballsup of it too!

When it comes to building a body..this guy is in a league of his own.. http://locostbuilders.co.uk/viewthread.php?tid=43112

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Mr Whippy

posted on 26/3/13 at 08:37 PM Reply With Quote
Your kidding right? That metal bodywork is wonderful looking, 100x nicer that some grp copy, really wish I had the skills to make something like that

If you didn't make the body a good panel beater could easily straighten the few dents it has on the front

I vote keep the car as is

[Edited on 26/3/13 by Mr Whippy]

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Confused but excited.

posted on 26/3/13 at 09:56 PM Reply With Quote
After you have taken the mould, can I have that old ali body if you don't want it?

Tell them about the bent treacle edges!

John Bonnett

posted on 26/3/13 at 10:03 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Mr Whippy
Your kidding right? That metal bodywork is wonderful looking, 100x nicer that some grp copy, really wish I had the skills to make something like that

If you didn't make the body a good panel beater could easily straighten the few dents it has on the front

I vote keep the car as is

[Edited on 26/3/13 by Mr Whippy]

For once Mr Whippy, I totally agree with you.

It would be a terrible shame to replace that body with plastic.

swanny

posted on 26/3/13 at 10:25 PM Reply With Quote
If you fancy a change why not wrap it?
bi22le

posted on 26/3/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
i have seen this car in the flesh and is gorgeous. like a mini single seater bugatti veyron.

if i owned this car my worry would be that i was responsible for bending it!

i would say get the dents pulled and polish it up. then get The Ali dip coloured in something special.

anodised dark green?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

RK

posted on 26/3/13 at 11:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think the idea would be to make copies of the body in GRP, so it can easily be replaced in CASE of an off.
perksy

posted on 27/3/13 at 12:56 AM Reply With Quote
As above, it would be a shame to loose the Ally

Was talking to an ex neighbour who has an old Lola and the body is not replaceable/obtainable (its insured for 35k)
He had been quoted £4500 just for the moulds to be made, never mind producing the GRP replacement panels

Acc8braman

posted on 27/3/13 at 07:15 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by RK
I think the idea would be to make copies of the body in GRP, so it can easily be replaced in CASE of an off.

I know theeee best Dent Wizard guy going if you want me to put you in touch?

[Edited on 27/3/13 by Acc8braman]

DarrenW

posted on 4/4/13 at 06:59 AM Reply With Quote
What a stunning little car. Is it a one off? I want one!

Making moulds is a great idea, but only so others can have panels! Unless of course it is already a commercially available kit.

dave r

posted on 4/4/13 at 09:38 AM Reply With Quote
http://oldtimer-tv.com/oldtimer/DE/tipps-tricks/index.php?Seite=175

would make you a nice buck

[Edited on 4/4/13 by dave r]

I'd love to give my imaginary friend a great big hug,

but this jacket makes it impossible.

number-1

posted on 7/6/13 at 09:38 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by DarrenW
What a stunning little car. Is it a one off? I want one!

Sorry for the late reply. Thanks for the comments. The main reason for making a mould was just in case of an off on track and to see if i could do it lol

Darren, the car body is a handmade one off (not by me) and the chassis is a modified Elden sportscar thats been raced in the Castle coomb special GT championship bacn in the day but its now got a GSXR 1100 engine in the back

violentblue

posted on 20/7/13 at 05:12 PM Reply With Quote
if you decide to take a mold from it, I would very much be interested in one.

a few pics of my other projects

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.