Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any driver policy on a kit car?
StrikerChris

posted on 1/4/13 at 01:30 PM Reply With Quote
Any driver policy on a kit car?

Hi folks
Just a quick question, has anybody had an any driver policy on a kitcar? I know afew people with them on their trucks and landys etc but they all do them through their business insurance. I'm currently banned (my own fault, I'm not after sympathy) but fancy getting the striker out this summer with mates driving. Trouble is what with our weather, different work patterns and dreaded girlfriends the chances of a free day are slim with just a couple of named drivers and I can't really justify the tax for just a day or two over 6 months! An any driver policy would suit better if its reasonable cost.

Any experiences of it out there?

Chris

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
steve m

posted on 1/4/13 at 02:15 PM Reply With Quote
I dont know the answer, but your brave letting YOUR car out of your sight,

As i dont even let the MOT guy sit in my car!

Slimy38

posted on 1/4/13 at 02:44 PM Reply With Quote
Surely any policy that you put together would be in your name and consider you to be the main driver?

Would one of the 'per day' insurance companies be able to cover the car on the days you want to take it out?

I don't fully understand your reference to tax though, wouldn't you need to tax the car regardless of who was insured on it?

StrikerChris

posted on 1/4/13 at 02:45 PM Reply With Quote
Oh it won't be going out of my sight, , I'll be passenger and all the people I'm thinking of car pedal a car, we seem to have grown out of falling into ditches in recent years. I just want it to be 100% legal, and should something happen get some money back! Cant seem to find anything out about excess or limitations on points etc on the net tho.
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Westy1994

posted on 1/4/13 at 02:49 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

At my last MOT, the testers apprentice wanted to 'take it round the block' to test something - yeah right !!!!!
Like i'm going to let a 17 year old loose with my car !!, lol

Regarding the topic, I am 99% sure that my insurance wanted the names of any additional drivers ( not that there were any) so it maybe a case of seeing what their own policies state.

[Edited on 1/4/13 by Westy1994]

StrikerChris

posted on 1/4/13 at 02:50 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry if I wasnt clear about the tax.i meant I cant justify paying 140 tax plus insurance for one or 2 friends when we might only both be available at the same time on a sunny day once or twice in that 6months.wih more people I might get more days out is what I was thinking so an anydriver would be best, if any companies cater for that.

Chris

Westy1994

posted on 1/4/13 at 02:56 PM Reply With Quote
ahhh, it's going to be based on the individual companies underwriters then, you will need to ask. But expect a hefty premium for 'Anydriver' - just my view.
StrikerChris

posted on 1/4/13 at 03:06 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Westy1994
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

At my last MOT, the testers apprentice wanted to 'take it round the block' to test something - yeah right !!!!!
Like i'm going to let a 17 year old loose with my car !!, lol

Regarding the topic, I am 99% sure that my insurance wanted the names of any additional drivers ( not that there were any) so it maybe a case of seeing what their own policies state.

When my dad was mot'ing if it had an lsd or permanent 4wd it couldn't go on the rollers for a brake test so had to be driven. Whether modern rollers work differently I don't know. Was a good excuse tho and I'll never forget my first ride in an rs500 cossie when I was about 8, not sure if the g meter read on the acceleration or braking!

Westy1994

posted on 1/4/13 at 03:16 PM Reply With Quote
Nah it wasn't anything like that, it does have an LSD but that wasn't the reason , he just wanted a 'jolly' I had the test cert in my hand when he asked...
StrikerChris

posted on 1/4/13 at 03:31 PM Reply With Quote
I'm not being naive, I have alot of friends I'd trust to drive me round an just as many I will have to say no to, just for the fact without even knowing it they have no mechanical sympathy even if they are quick at santapod!
Westy1994

posted on 1/4/13 at 03:41 PM Reply With Quote
It's an interesting topic actually because it comes down to how well do you know the other person, regardless of whether you would be sitting next to them all the time or not. I have quite a few mates who I have known for 20 years +, but would not let behind the wheel, yet I have a few that that have known for half that time and be happy to hand the keys over. It 's the 'You never share your car or your woman' scenario - by that definition my woman is unfaithful, lol..... Not that the opportunity arises that often to share the car mind....
StrikerChris

posted on 1/4/13 at 03:54 PM Reply With Quote
I've been passenger with one of my mates in 2 seperate roll overs when we were younger and more enthusiastic., yet I can fall asleep when its his stint on the drag race from cherbourg to lemans.other friends have never crashed and im constantly going for the imaginary brake pedal cause they just don't read the road and have never really scared themselves when they were younger im guessing. Is strange how different people drive!
Westy1994

posted on 1/4/13 at 04:12 PM Reply With Quote
Only ever been in one crash where someone else was in control, I posted about it on the Malton crash thread, but I did lend a competition car for one hillclimb event to some one, he broke his gearbox during morning practice and having the same car and having known him for around 3 years at the time, I had no issues letting him take my car up the hill, as it happens it ended badly, not because of him, but rather a mech failure ( drive shaft let go ) car was somewhat damaged, but it would only have gone on me anyway... Insurance plays no part in that story for obvious reasons

Not Anumber

posted on 1/4/13 at 05:47 PM Reply With Quote
Have your mates got the 'any car' option on their insurance ?

cps13

posted on 22/4/13 at 12:25 PM Reply With Quote
I looked at setting up a caterham hire company a couple of years back (2009). For a 1 year old Caterham a policy for anybody over the age of 25 to drive it was around £1600. That would allow anybody over 25, license for 2 years and no drink driving/dangerous driving convictions.

As I say tho, that was in 2009...

nick205

posted on 22/4/13 at 01:34 PM Reply With Quote
Do you need a license for track days?

Might be better value, more fun and more in your control to trailer the car to a few track days this summer.

StrikerChris

posted on 23/4/13 at 07:26 AM Reply With Quote
Yeah you do officially.I'm sure it could be fudged at the ones i've been to in the past,but im not going down that route when I'll be legal next year anyway.
Think I've got the insurance sorted now anyway.
Cheers Chris

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.