Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Kit with bike engine
Opirun

posted on 1/4/13 at 03:35 PM Reply With Quote
Kit with bike engine

Hi all,

I am quite new to the forum and trying to plan my first kit build, I want to build a bike engined kit. Trying to iron out which kit and engine to go for as I feel these are to two biggest decisions to be made. I thought I would post in the engines section to find out about people experiences and suggestions. From another post, someone mentioned that an important engine decision to be made is weather to go for carb or fuel injected. I have decided due to cost reasons to go for a carbed option. It seems that the R1 and fireblade engine are a popular choice (especially for cost reasons). How difficult it is to get these carbed engine options to pass the emissions tests and integrate into a kit (looking at MK, tiger, Aires, Mac#1, as these seem to suit my budget).

Thanks.

ReMan

posted on 1/4/13 at 04:10 PM Reply With Quote
Would be better in th BEC section

Get a pre 95 engine and there are few emission worries
Otherwise, nothing that cant be tweeaked on later engines to pass.
Worry closer to the time

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

MK9R

posted on 1/4/13 at 05:34 PM Reply With Quote
The issue you have with a carved engine, is getting a good'un. They will be old engines now and getting one cheap isn't an issue, but getting a good cheap one isn't. The old 919 blade is excellent and pretty bomb proof, but suffer with 3rd &4th gear dogs wearing, and as this is a common issue 2nd hand dogs don't really exist you have to buy new. A rebuild if done by yourself will be getting on for £400. This is the reason rgb scrapped the class c (carbed blade class) as it was not financially viable as a refreshed blade engine was costing more than a newer injection model.

If I were you I'd be looking at an r1 5vy (04-06), blade 954 or maybe a zx10 of the same era (although not as well suited to prop drive cars as the other 2 due to gear ratios). There is also the k4-5 gixer, but this isnt as common or as well tested as the others

[Edited on 1/4/13 by MK9R]

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.automatedtechnologygroup.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
Opirun

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:13 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks MK9R, I suspected from my initial search that finding a good old engine is going to be a little bit of a challenge but I guess not impossible.

Thanks for all the information that I didn't know about the engines, found some prices.

YAMAHA YZF R1 5VY 2004-2006 ENGINE MOTOR KIT CAR 18000 MILES WARRANTY BREAKING | eBay

These 900 blades seem good value

Honda CBR900 CBR 900 RR Fireblade 97 ''RRV'' Engine Assembly - Read Description | eBay

MK9R

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:30 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Opirun
Thanks MK9R, I suspected from my initial search that finding a good old engine is going to be a little bit of a challenge but I guess not impossible.

Thanks for all the information that I didn't know about the engines, found some prices.

YAMAHA YZF R1 5VY 2004-2006 ENGINE MOTOR KIT CAR 18000 MILES WARRANTY BREAKING | eBay

These 900 blades seem good value

Honda CBR900 CBR 900 RR Fireblade 97 ''RRV'' Engine Assembly - Read Description | eBay

Don't forget you need the carbs/throttle bodies loom, coils and ECU. Best off buying it as a package as costly to buy on their own.

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
MK9R

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:33 PM Reply With Quote
If you decide on an older carb engine don't forget the zx9 c1 or c2. Had a c2 in my Stuart Taylor (Aries), strong engine, a bit let frenzied with a bit more torque than the blade lower down. Were also cheaper

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

ReMan

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:37 PM Reply With Quote
Sorry, you,ve lost me
Youve got three threads around the same questions.

I respectfully suggest that you elaborate on your budget, building skills, timeframe and preferences and we could be more objective then
Edited to add, SORRY, that was not meant to sound ARSY!
Just trying to help

[Edited on 1/4/13 by ReMan]

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

MK9R

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:38 PM Reply With Quote
A lot of kit for the dosh
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&id=281073970984

Cheers Austen

RGB car number 9
www.austengreenway.co.uk
www.trackace.co.uk

PAUL FISHER

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:51 PM Reply With Quote
All your options would be cracking cars, ive never owned a Tiger, but ive had two of the cars on your list, but also had nothing but great service and help from Mac1 over the years, as both MK and Mac1 ar local to me, My first car was a MK Indy with a fuel injected 929cc fireblade but the 954cc is even better, the 929cc was the first of the injected blade engines, superb engine, and no problem with IVA with a good "Cat" fitted, and I would always go for injection again if I was building another car to get through IVA, and always top service from MK, nice easy build, a top quality car, loved it. After that built a MK R ZX10R, and I even turbocharged it at one point, not that I would go the turbo BEC again, but again a cracking car, and first class back up from MK Sportcars, I then sold it and took a break from kit cars for a couple of years, after that I purchased a Aries/ Stuart Taylor Fireblade 893cc pre 95 so no problems with IVA due to no Cat etc, but a great chassis, again top quality, what a car, I loved it, but I would like to own either a MK or Aries or a Mac1 in the future, but do go and visit them all, and take your choice, you will not go wrong with any of them
Opirun

posted on 1/4/13 at 07:51 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks again PAUL FISHER, I am hearing lots of good things about the fireblades, 954 and kit options. Sounds like it definitely helps to have the kit supplier close to you.

I am also now considering the options for fuel injected and try weigh out the costs comparisons with the carbed option in the short and long term.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.