Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Windscreen fitting....
Dave Bailey

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:26 PM Reply With Quote
Windscreen fitting....

So after cracking my screen I now have all the replacement parts to rebuild the screen new frame and glass... I have a dilemma do I drill the front face of the frame and fit press studs in case I get a roof made or drill it later? If I do fit the press studs now any tips? How many and pop rivet or screw?

Thanks
Dave B

Not Anumber

posted on 1/4/13 at 06:54 PM Reply With Quote
If you think there is any chance you may add a hood at some later stage then it's certainly worth fitting the press studs to the top of the screen frame at this stage before you put the glass in.

I used the suggested number of 7 studs on the GBS Zero screen frame I used which seems about right.

Use decent rivets and if necessary make up a small spacer for the head of your rivet gun to go between the rivet gun and the actual rivet so that you can be sure of getting the rivet head right into the centre of the press stud.

Dave Bailey

posted on 1/4/13 at 07:03 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks for the advice......

Dave B

rusty nuts

posted on 1/4/13 at 07:05 PM Reply With Quote
If it's any help I drilled and tapped the screen frame to take small stainless socket head screws to hold my hood fittings with the glass out of the frame . Used Locktite on the screws and after securing them I used a cut off disc in a Dremel to cut the excess off the screws inside the groove for the glass, Far better than rivets IMHO
Bluemoon

posted on 1/4/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Not sure how much space you have but on a wesfield screen they put in a row of rivenuts to fit screw in Tenex (?) studs; much better than pop fastners. Also this would give you the option of using an awning rail for a leak proof half hood..

Dan

Dave Bailey

posted on 1/4/13 at 07:33 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,
Good idea.... On the top of the screen or on the front face? Do you know what size m3? And how many?

Thanks
Dave B

Westy1994

posted on 1/4/13 at 07:36 PM Reply With Quote
Same dilemma last year, when I was trying to decide whether or not to remove the glass to fit the studs ( screen frame came with glass fitted), chickened out in the end and went for channel and overcentre clips instead ( neater too IMO), so in your instance I would drill now and at least you have them ready for a hood when needed.
Bluemoon

posted on 1/4/13 at 07:55 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Dave Bailey
Dan,
Good idea.... On the top of the screen or on the front face? Do you know what size m3? And how many?

Thanks
Dave B

Front face. Not sure of size depends on tenex fastener might be BA hopefully not, u2u if you want the faster supplier I needed some spares I am sure they will know the thread size. Might also be in Woolies trim catalogue.....

Dan

[Edited on 1/4/13 by Bluemoon]

[Edited on 1/4/13 by Bluemoon]

Dave Bailey

posted on 1/4/13 at 07:59 PM Reply With Quote
Dan,
Thanks... I have a metric only rivnut tool so will have a search for metric tenex.....

Dave B

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.