Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Anyone any experience of K Seal
r1_pete

posted on 5/4/13 at 08:58 AM Reply With Quote
Anyone any experience of K Seal

Hi All,

Daughters 1.4 Citroen C4 has developed a coolant leak from the corner of the head gasket, I know its a common fault, and she shouldn't have bough a French car......

But, I don't have time or space to fix it for a few weeks, so was thinking of risking a tenner and trying K Seal, I know it won't be a permanent solution, just looking for a few weeks breathing space, and to scare them into lifting the bonnet weekly and checking levels, cos telling just doesn't work!!

Has anyone used it with success or failure

Cheers.

Pete.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mookaloid

posted on 5/4/13 at 09:39 AM Reply With Quote
definitely worth a go.

I have used it on several cars with leaky coolant systems and it has been a permanent fix.

It didn't work once when I tried it to fix a split in a plastic header tank but I was only trying for a fix to last a few days till I could replace the rad.

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

theduck

posted on 5/4/13 at 10:05 AM Reply With Quote
Worked as a temp fix on father in laws merc. Think the instructions say you have to run the engine de a certain period of time after adding to the coolant and its important to follow this properly. Lots of people on Internet say don't use it but never seen a story where someone who has actually Used it had a problem.
PSpirine

posted on 5/4/13 at 11:24 AM Reply With Quote
I've used it once on a failed HG on a 318ti, and it didn't fix it. However, it didn't cause any problems either, so for the sake of £8 or whatever it costs, worth a go.
Slimy38

posted on 5/4/13 at 12:16 PM Reply With Quote
It sorted my mates Toledo, or at least it fixed the first leak. Once it sealed that leak and the water pressure could get a bit higher, it popped another hole that it couldn't fix.

Definitely worth a try, out of all radiator sealing options it's the most effective. Certainly a lot better than the old favourite radweld.

BigFaceDave

posted on 5/4/13 at 12:19 PM Reply With Quote
I've used it on a Subaru legacy and it didn't work but also did use it on a old mk3 supra and then thoroughly abused it for another 6 months and it completly cured it until I sold the car. I was sceptical at first but seems to do the trick in some cases.
Dingz

posted on 5/4/13 at 12:40 PM Reply With Quote
Worked for me as a temporary fix. 3 years on still ok!

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

BenB

posted on 5/4/13 at 01:09 PM Reply With Quote
What's wrong with an egg?
MikeRJ

posted on 5/4/13 at 01:41 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by BenB
What's wrong with an egg?

Nothing at all provided you are going to cook and eat it

spiderman

posted on 5/4/13 at 02:19 PM Reply With Quote
Used it a couple of times on Rover head gaskets, worked a treat and both cars are running well many many miles later, saved the owners the expense of a head gasket change which in all honesty would have cost more than the cars were worth.
I now keep a bottle of the stuff in the boot of my car for emergency repairs.

Spider

r1_pete

posted on 5/4/13 at 04:23 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks All, I'll give it a try..
View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
chrisni1986

posted on 3/7/13 at 06:22 PM Reply With Quote
it does work to a degree, if its a really bad cracked head it wont work, if the cars loosing a small amount of water try it, we had a tdi golf with a cracked head and no hot air in cabin, a bottle of k seal later and we had a heater again and it lasted 6 months after diagnosis, prob would have lasted longer only i booted the car on a fair bit in a hurry which more than likely made the car run that bit warmer and opened up the crack, theres stuff called steel seal comes in a green bottle that apparently is guaranteed to work but i cant say its one ive used!
MP3C

posted on 3/7/13 at 07:25 PM Reply With Quote
Worked for me, had a problem with water leaking from the pump in my old MG ZR onto the engine, so when I lifted the bonnet I saw a trail of steam coming from the area. Took to a garage said he would have to take the entire thing apart and replace the pump for a stupid price, went to another garage and he said use some of "this" (K-Seal) put it in - drove it home, checked it and had no problems. Still no problems about a year later when I got rid of the car so definitely a thumbs up from me.
britishtrident

posted on 3/7/13 at 08:53 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by MP3C
Worked for me, had a problem with water leaking from the pump in my old MG ZR onto the engine, so when I lifted the bonnet I saw a trail of steam coming from the area. Took to a garage said he would have to take the entire thing apart and replace the pump for a stupid price, went to another garage and he said use some of "this" (K-Seal) put it in - drove it home, checked it and had no problems. Still no problems about a year later when I got rid of the car so definitely a thumbs up from me.

Yes K seal works but a good garage would have known all that was required was a new O ring and about 20 minutes time.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.