Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Modifying Haynes suspension design?
fha772

posted on 7/4/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Modifying Haynes suspension design?

Hi all,

I know I'm probably over simplyfing this, but I'm thinking of using the Haynes roadster suspension design for the basis of the suspension on an off road buggy I'm planning to build, based on a Porsche 996 Carrera 4 manual gearbox and front diff.

I'm planning to use Sierra 4x4 hubs.

I'll try to describe my plans for the modifications, and hopefully get somebody who knows better to say if I'm right or wrong with my plans.

Firstly the rear suspension:
I planing to keep the diamensions of the chassis mounting points the same, but lengthen the upper and lower arms by about 100mm, to allow me more suspension travel.
Beyond that the only other modification is that I'm going to make them out if a larger size tube, so they will stand up to the abuse better.

Secondly the front suspension:
Really the same as the rear, use the original design and chassis mounting point diamensions, but lengthen the upper and lower arms by about 100mm, and use larger tube to build them.
Also, I'm planning to move the shock mounts to the upper arms, to leave room for the front driveshafts.
I'm planning on lifting the front of the chassis section to angle the front suspension by about 5 degrees, to help absorbe the shock of running off road.

Does this sound ok?

Or am I over simplifying things?

Any advice would be great.

Cheers Frank.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.