Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Saab 9-3, Volvo V50, Alfa 159 or Jaguar X-Type
scootz

posted on 9/4/13 at 09:54 AM Reply With Quote
Saab 9-3, Volvo V50, Alfa 159 or Jaguar X-Type

I'm thinking of changing my daily-driver and have shortlisted the 4 cars above.

The next car must be an automatic diesel estate and will be 2010 or newer.

The Alfa looks the best by far (IMHO), and it also has the nicest interior. Unfortunately my opinion of them is clouded by their reputation in the 70's, 80's and 90's. How does the modern day Alfa stand up to scrutiny? Are they as reliable as the others and are the repair / servicing costs reasonable?

Thanks in advance.

It's Evolution Baby!

Zagato

posted on 9/4/13 at 10:25 AM Reply With Quote
I'm a SAAB guy but not a fan of the GM 9-3, 9-5 series, nothing special about them apart from being able to pick them up REALLY cheap cos they depreciate like nothing else. Last two buys have been 4-5 years old and got them for 4-5K, these were 27K cars new Auto trader ex rep cars with 70,000 miles on them just serviced. One died at 240 miles after 8 years the other one still going strong with no probs at 140K should last another 3-4 years. Very cheap motoring, boring euro box cars though, not REAL SAABS!

Have a mate who is windscreen fitter, he works for the local Alfa dealership when needed to replace broken windscreens, says the Alfa build quality hasn't changed. Example, he replaced a windscreen on a two year old Alfa and it was rusty already Not good on a structural part!

Don't know about Jags but nothing special, wouldn't fork out more than 5k for a boring modern Euro box, use it run it into the ground, spend your money on classics and Locusts

[Edited on 9/4/13 by Zagato]

liam.mccaffrey

posted on 9/4/13 at 10:43 AM Reply With Quote
I love the s40/v50.

Good Points
Very comfortable, I'm a v big bloke and its a dream to drive
lovely interior,
good engines especially the D5. I have the 2l 136HP diesel (ford engine I believe) manual its very nice also.
Cruise control system is very nice and refined

Bad Points
Heavy tyre wear for D5 engined cars
Poor headlights unless you have xenons which are expensive on bulbs (same for any car)
Sound system is very very bassy even on lowest bass setting.
Can't fit a regular din head unit.
Repairs to the AC, heating radio centre console can be very expensive due to optical firbre control. Mine went wrong under warranty luckily.
Some people don't like the key position, doesn't bother me.
Pre 57s car don't have ISOfix (check this for youself)
I can't get more than 50mPG even on a run

Build Blog
Build Photo Album

mookaloid

posted on 9/4/13 at 11:52 AM Reply With Quote
test drive them all and pick the one that you like best

None of them are really bad cars, all will probably have issues with things like dual mass flywheels and EGR valves because diesels seem to.

So if one makes you smile more than the others then pick that one, then at least if it turns out to be a dog at least you've enjoyed driving it

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

nick205

posted on 9/4/13 at 12:11 PM Reply With Quote
I can only comment on the V50, having run one from new for 2 years as a company car.

IMHO still one of the best looking cars around and the 1.6D Drive engine (PSA/Ford engine) really is very good. Aside from that I hated the car with a passion....

Cramped and uncomfortable (I know you have back problems)

No clutch foot rest (or even empty space)

Poorly fitting sharp interior plastics (control stalks really are appallingly moulded)

Stupidly placed key slot, right behind the indicator stalk

Pointless "floating console" with equally pointless storage behind it

Minute glove box and console storage

Having come from (and since returned to) VAG cars the V50 was a big wrong turn for me. My boss at the time had a V60, which IMHO was marginally better, in some aspects.

sdh2903

posted on 9/4/13 at 12:58 PM Reply With Quote
Apart from the Volvo they will all depreciate horrendously. Opinions on cars are all subjective as you can see by the 2 varying opinions on the Volvo already! Go drive em all, you will soon make your mind up.

Have you thought of looking at 3 series tourer, c class estates, skoda/passat estates? these are all imo better cars and will hold their value better.

scootz

posted on 9/4/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
I did look at the BMW's and Merc's but we get too much snow up our way to go down the RWD route.

It's Evolution Baby!

sdh2903

posted on 9/4/13 at 01:04 PM Reply With Quote
Do agree though, the alfa is a lovely looking car

CNHSS1

posted on 9/4/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
ceratinly when the X type was first introduced the diesels wer FWD only if you specced Auto box. Be worth checking

"Racing is life, everything else, before or after, is just waiting"---Steve McQueen

sdh2903

posted on 9/4/13 at 01:07 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by scootz
I did look at the BMW's and Merc's but we get too much snow up our way to go down the RWD route.

Just get a cheap set of rims with winter tyres, my 320d on snow tyres was much more capable than my current focus on summer tyres when driving on snow/ice.

[Edited on 9/4/13 by sdh2903]

morcus

posted on 9/4/13 at 06:06 PM Reply With Quote
Isn't the Jag Diesel also the Ford PSA Jobbie, but in a different size? I know a few people who've had X types and they don't grumble, Thats where I'd probably start with the cars on your list, I think it's the nicest place to sit out of the 4.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

Rosco

posted on 9/4/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
I have a V50 D5 and now had it for 4 years from new, initially as a company car but then bought it at the end of the lease. It's a decent car, "does what it says on the tin" and I think probably the safest bet of the three you've listed though maybe not the most exciting. It has reasonable pace when you boot it and does 38-44 mpg.

If I was looking again I'd also consider a BWM 3 Series, Audi A4 and Scooby Legacy.

nick205

posted on 9/4/13 at 07:34 PM Reply With Quote
If it's snow/winter capability you want then an Audi quattro, Passat 4motion, Octavia Scout, Subaru Legacy/Outback etc. have to be worth a look.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.