Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Tidying wiring for IVA?
Sloan85

posted on 9/4/13 at 09:44 PM Reply With Quote
Tidying wiring for IVA?

Just about to start tidying up my wiring before I put any body panels on and I was wondering about the requirement for wiring to be tidy for the IVA? Areas at the front and back of the car wont be a problem as I can tape or split tube it all but its the area behind the dash that I am unsure about.

I have wired my savage switches to 15pin connectors so the dash is removable. Should I be looking to tape up everything at the back of the dash (see first pic).

The loom wiring that the dash connects to is a little bit untidy - some wires longer than others etc. I am unsure whether I should be looking to redo the 15pin connectors and cut all wires to same length, straighten out etc. or just bundle together an tape it. (see second pic). Any suggestions?

Cheers!

luke

posted on 9/4/13 at 09:51 PM Reply With Quote
Loom tape is what you need. Handy for areas where you have a spur or a few wires where trunking would just be overkill.

Luke

Sloan85

posted on 9/4/13 at 09:58 PM Reply With Quote
I have some loom tape. My two concerns are whether I should be taping up all the wires from the savage switches to the connector blocks.

Also where the wires are a bit untidy, would you redo them or just bundle together and loom tape the lot?

Cheers

Macbeast

posted on 9/4/13 at 10:28 PM Reply With Quote
IVA is all about perception of have you done a good safe job. Maybe you don't need to tape from switches to the connector if the connector is secured ( tie wrapped perhaps ) to something solid and not waving about in mid air.

I'm addicted to brake fluid, but I can stop anytime.

tegwin

posted on 9/4/13 at 10:42 PM Reply With Quote
Have a good look under the dashboard/engine bay of any production car and you should get some idea of what "works"

The idea is to prevent the wires getting snagged or chaffed on anything and to keep them tidy of course.

I would use a bit of self amalgamating tape around the bundles just to make it harder for a single wire to be accidencally pulled out, perhaps a bit of split sleeving if it might rub.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Would the last person who leaves the country please switch off the lights and close the door!

www.verticalhorizonsmedia.tv

Irony

posted on 10/4/13 at 07:45 AM Reply With Quote
I am in exactly the same position with my car and I was unaware that the IVA man will take the dash off to be honest? Once my dash is on how are they going to check the wiring?

I am however thinking of making the wiring a bit neater once it's all finalised etc.

loggyboy

posted on 10/4/13 at 08:14 AM Reply With Quote
They wont take the dash off, so the only way they will see it if its visable under the dash. There is no requirement for it to be tidy, only secure. However as mentioned, its all about perception, and if part of your build looks messy, half arsed or just badly done, then they may look harder at other items as they could think that you applied the same principles to the rest of the car!

Mistral Motorsport

theduck

posted on 10/4/13 at 10:52 AM Reply With Quote
I have tape all mine but will be covering under the dash anyway so it any be seen without removing the covering.

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.