Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Any solar panel battery charger experts here?
fha772

posted on 14/4/13 at 11:27 PM Reply With Quote
Any solar panel battery charger experts here?

Hi all,

I'm looking for a 24v solar panel battery charger/maintainer, for my 7.5 tonner.

It doesn't have to be big amperage, it's only to just keep the batteries topped up, when the lorry is stood.
I can't use an isolator switch as I'm fitting 2 alarm systems to it (1 in the cab, and 1 in the box body), so the batteries need to be switched on, when I park it up.

Has anyone got any experience with this sort of stuff?

What would you recommend?

What parts do I need?

Cheers Frank.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6743&start=105

inkafone

posted on 14/4/13 at 11:50 PM Reply With Quote
A 24v solar panel is expensive but two 12v ones in series aren't. Just fit as per the instructions they come with only wire them in series on one plug.
4 Watt 12v Volt Solar Panel Trickle Car Battery Charger Boat | eBay

steve m

posted on 15/4/13 at 08:12 AM Reply With Quote
I use a 12v solar panel for the 7, and also for my caravan, so buying 2 x 12v will be a better option in the end
as for disableing the van, why not locate, and pull out the fuel pump relay, for security ?

Slimy38

posted on 15/4/13 at 08:22 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by steve m
I use a 12v solar panel for the 7, and also for my caravan, so buying 2 x 12v will be a better option in the end
as for disableing the van, why not locate, and pull out the fuel pump relay, for security ?

That stops the van from going anywhere, doesn't stop the contents though...

Ninehigh

posted on 15/4/13 at 09:55 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
quote:
Originally posted by steve m

That stops the van from going anywhere, doesn't stop the contents though...

Neither would cutting the battery.. Heck the only thing stopping the contents is them being somewhere else

Would 2 panels in series really work like that? I'd imagine that 12v going into the negative terminal of the second panel wouldn't increase anything

coyoteboy

posted on 15/4/13 at 07:43 PM Reply With Quote
Yes, solar cell strings work in series as well as parallel, but there are complications if one is likely to be shaded when the other is in light etc. If they're set together in the same light source without shading you can approximate them as a single 24v panel with the same current rating as the 12v but twice the voltage (and hence twice the power output). That's assuming there's no control circuitry in the way and it's just the old dumb panel setup as most are.

[Edited on 15/4/13 by coyoteboy]

jacko

posted on 15/4/13 at 08:35 PM Reply With Quote
http://midsummerenergy.co.uk/solar-panel-information/Guides/Narrowboats

have a look at the solar panels on narrow boats
Jacko

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.