Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Welder Problem
mikeb

posted on 15/4/13 at 02:14 PM Reply With Quote
Welder Problem

I have a Boc Migmate 130, think its the pretty standard hobby mig with the min max 1 and 2 setting and wire feed dial.

It use to be a good welder producing nice welds but its slowly started playing up. I'd finished my chassis so only used it for the odd small job.

I thought it was a earth issue so put a new earth clamp and wire on it.
It no longer produces the nice frying bacon noise, if I can get a weld out of it at all, it seems to be creating a weld pool from the feed wire but not penertrating enough often ending up with a lump stuck to the tip. Most of the time now it pops and spits back at me, every now and again I'll get a good weld for 15 seconds but only on a good day!

the wire feed seems good, well its fine when I'm not actually welding.
I'm still wondering if its a powersupply/earth issue.

I've put new tips on (haven't changed the shroud) I did check inside for any loose connections etc. Can you get a live shround

Any thoughts,

r1_pete

posted on 15/4/13 at 02:21 PM Reply With Quote
Have you checked the wire liner, the standard nylon ones do degrade over time and cause the welding wire to drag.

Replacing it with a steel liner, often transforms the machine, and not expensive..

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
mikeb

posted on 15/4/13 at 03:23 PM Reply With Quote
the wire feed seems good and smooth
Slimy38

posted on 15/4/13 at 04:13 PM Reply With Quote
This might seem a little off topic, but I took a look at steel liners after reading this, and a cost effective option seems to be curtain wire. Did I miss something in the translation, or is curtain wire a viable solution?
r1_pete

posted on 15/4/13 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by Slimy38
This might seem a little off topic, but I took a look at steel liners after reading this, and a cost effective option seems to be curtain wire. Did I miss something in the translation, or is curtain wire a viable solution?

Yes I have read that too, never tried it, doubt I would to save a few ££, Id go with the purpose made thing.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
theprisioner

posted on 15/4/13 at 06:23 PM Reply With Quote
Is it a gas or gas-less system you are using cos it sound like a gas problem to me. If I turn my gas off I get exactly the symptoms you describe.
Staple balls

posted on 15/4/13 at 07:21 PM Reply With Quote
I'm sure curtain wire would work, or bike brake outer, but saying that, I got a 3m liner off ebay for a couple of quid, took a little fettling to make it fit my machine, but utterly transformed it for next to no money.
LoMoss

posted on 15/4/13 at 08:44 PM Reply With Quote
Have you changed the tip. They fug up with dirt from the wire and welding?

HTH

Moss

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.