Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Reply
Author: Subject: Buying Advice
OliilO

posted on 16/4/13 at 09:42 PM Reply With Quote
Buying Advice

Evening all,

I've been looking at getting myself my first BEC for a while and went and had a look at one local to me today, ending up with a few questions that would be good to have a more experienced opinion on.

It was an Indy, correctly registered as an MK Engineering Indy, however the current owner has replaced the original fireblade engine with a direct replacement and not updated the engine number on the V5. As far as I am aware (from reading on here) it isn't a massive hassle to get it updated, but it does put me off slightly. Is it right to be slightly wary of this?

Secondly, there seems to be very little build history available. It was built in 2004 and had a few owners since then, but other than some receipts there is little documenting it's history. Whilst looking well built, to my eyes, I imagine it would be preferable to have some more history present - although at the end of the day it's current condition is more important? (I think 2 of the previous owners may be members here, so may well send them a message)

I'm certainly going to have a look at a few more cars before committing to anything, but am trying to get a feel for what the key concerns should be when visiting.

Thanks in advance.
Oli

adithorp

posted on 16/4/13 at 10:34 PM Reply With Quote
Nothing unusual for an engine to be changed and not get around to informing DVLA to change the V5. Not difficult to get it changed.

If you can get to Stoneleigh show you'll see a lot of owners cars there. That should help you spot the good builds from the rest.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

rf900rush

posted on 17/4/13 at 06:29 AM Reply With Quote
I changed my engine twice, once for the same, and then a upgrade to a bigger and different make.
Both times were fairly easy.
Just needed to prove it was not stolen.

Photo of engine showing engine number, and a precept of sale. I even got to speak to someone their for help the first time round.

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
ReMan

posted on 17/4/13 at 06:34 AM Reply With Quote
I would,nt worry about build history.
As you say it's correctly registered and how it looks now is more important.
It might be known on here if you want to divulge any more detail?
Is there someone local to you or it on here that wold have a look with you perhaps?

www.plusnine.co.uk
∙،°. ˘Ô≈ôﺣ

twybrow

posted on 17/4/13 at 08:07 AM Reply With Quote
DVLA wil probably ask you for a garage to inspect the engine and confirm on paper the engine number in your car(of course, you might want to write that yourself on some headed paper!).

Build history is less important than current condition and quality IMHO, although it does help to have a list of parts used (or reciepts) in case you need to replace a worn out part.

adithorp

posted on 17/4/13 at 09:08 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by ReMan
I would,nt worry about build history.
As you say it's correctly registered and how it looks now is more important.
It might be known on here if you want to divulge any more detail?
Is there someone local to you or it on here that wold have a look with you perhaps?

As said I wouldn't worry to much about a buildhistory. The documented build history for my car is only a file fullof reciepts a few photos and questions posted on here when it comes down to it.

It'll be usefull to put your (rough) location in your profile then you might get offers of local help.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

Hellfire

posted on 17/4/13 at 11:23 AM Reply With Quote
I'd be wary of the replacement engine too. It's easy enough to get the V5C changed, so I'd question why it hasn't been done already........

Phil

Not Anumber

posted on 17/4/13 at 12:05 PM Reply With Quote
It will never fail an MOT for having the wrong engine number. So long as you know the engine was honestly obtained there is no issue.

I once forgot to get the v5 updated after changing the engine on a classic car. It was picked up on when the car was inspected by VOSA a couple of years later for a private reg number transfer but this was completely painless. They just asked me to confirm this was still the same car as described on the v5 and that the engine number differed just because i had swapped the engine. They asked if i wanted this updated on the v5 and rubber stamped it.

The engine number on my Indy's v5 is listed as Unknown from when it was built (by someone else). It has not caused any problems

OliilO

posted on 19/4/13 at 03:43 PM Reply With Quote
Thanks all. My Internet has been on the blink this wink, hence the delayed reply.

I'm in Hampshire and the car is the yellow Indy advertised on pistonheads with not the most detailed advert in the world...

The reason the V5 hasn't been updated is because the current owner couldn't be bothered, which I entirely believe.
It is currently being run without a baffled sump, which is something I'd look into if I purchased it, but is that likely to have had any adverse effect? There was no oil pressure warning on the digidash at any stage when we went for a drive.

Davg

posted on 19/4/13 at 04:47 PM Reply With Quote
You have probably answered some of your own questions to be honest. If in doubt walk away!

Wot kind of budget you thinking?

Cheers D

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OliilO

posted on 19/4/13 at 04:53 PM Reply With Quote
I think I knew the answer to some of the questions, just wanted a sanity check.

Looking for something up to 8k as a maximum, ideally less than seven. Managed to be too slow over the past month or so and missed out on a couple of cars that looked to be ideal!

Davg

posted on 19/4/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
Oh we'll nice orange one for sale

Good luck
Cheers

------------------------------------------------------------------------

OliilO

posted on 19/4/13 at 05:02 PM Reply With Quote
I'd seen yours before, looks a nice car, just a bit too much and far away for me. Good luck with the sale.
SCAR

posted on 19/4/13 at 06:03 PM Reply With Quote
I would have thought a wrong engine number was an mot faliure due to the log on requirements of vosa's computerised system. I had a garage refuse to mot my bike because the numbers didnt match the V5. It was its first mot from new and the V5 was a digit wrong. Vosa issued a new v5 with the corrected numbers but it was a bit of a worry at the time. If the engine number isn't on the v5 how would you know it isn't nicked?
Not Anumber

posted on 19/4/13 at 06:07 PM Reply With Quote
Vosa might raise an issue because they couldnt believe that someone would actually put a dimininutive motorbike engine in a car

Hellfire

posted on 19/4/13 at 06:27 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by OliilO
It is currently being run without a baffled sump, which is something I'd look into if I purchased it, but is that likely to have had any adverse effect? There was no oil pressure warning on the digidash at any stage when we went for a drive.

Running a Fireblade without a baffled sump shouldn't have an adverse affect on the engine provided it has sufficient oil. If it's going to be driven hard on trackdays regularly, a baffle plate would be a wise investment. The Fireblade is a strong engine in a BEC application and even if it doesn't need a baffle plate, it will give you peace of mind.

Phil

Custardpants

posted on 23/4/13 at 10:44 AM Reply With Quote
Given how readily available fireblade engines are I wouldn't worry about V5 engine code etc. Sometimes people with a highly tuned engine will remove it and replace with a stock one when they sell the car on. When looking BECs bear in mind it's well worth researching how much the cost of a replacement engine is, how easy it is to tune(even if not interested now you may be later on), and whether it needs a dry sump for track use(expensive). Where in Hampshire are you? You're welcome to have a look at my car/go out in it if you're near hindhead.
twybrow

posted on 23/4/13 at 11:54 AM Reply With Quote
Is it this one?

I would also be tempted to look at these:

MNR Vortx
MNR Vortx

OliilO

posted on 23/4/13 at 04:48 PM Reply With Quote
Custardpants: I'm just down the road in Petersfield (when not away with work), I might send you a message if I find anything else close and need some buying advice!

Twybrow: Yes, that's the one. The two MNRs have appeared since I viewed the first one, so definitely considering a look at either of those.

Custardpants

posted on 23/4/13 at 08:51 PM Reply With Quote
In that case if you want to go out in my car let me know. if im out in the car on a sat/sun morning drive it's particularly easy, the A272 is of my favourite routes, Sod's law I probably drive past your house anyway lol!

New Topic New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.