Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: Do You Bother With A Spare Wheel?
Zagato

posted on 19/4/13 at 12:49 PM Reply With Quote
Do You Bother With A Spare Wheel?

It must be 30 years since I've had a puncture, is a spare really worth the extra cost and weight. On the million and one chance you will get a puncture then it would be a recovery job but local tyre fitters may not have your tyre. What about these puncture repair aerosol cans, not meant to do too much good apparently!
theduck

posted on 19/4/13 at 12:56 PM Reply With Quote
I won't have one on the kit thoughbinwoukdt have a daily without as I do 25'000+ miles a year. I will have a jack and a can of tyre weld in the kit though just incase. Tyre weld is no good without a jack though.
Dingz

posted on 19/4/13 at 01:03 PM Reply With Quote
I have one on mine, it was a god send on the M6 once

Phoned the local ramblers club today, but the bloke who answered just
went on and on.

bi22le

posted on 19/4/13 at 01:25 PM Reply With Quote
Not on the kit 2 X cans of tyre weld for me.

I have on my other cars, why not!?!?

Track days ARE the best thing since sliced bread, until I get a supercharger that is!

Please read my ring story:
http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/forum/13/viewthread.php?tid=139152&page=1

Me doing a sub 56sec lap around Brands Indy. I need a geo set up! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EHksfvIGB3I

Slimy38

posted on 19/4/13 at 01:26 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by theduck
I won't have one on the kit thoughbinwoukdt have a daily without as I do 25'000+ miles a year. I will have a jack and a can of tyre weld in the kit though just incase. Tyre weld is no good without a jack though.

They say tyreweld is meant to work on it's own, part of the can is gas to reinflate the wheel at least a little bit?

mark chandler

posted on 19/4/13 at 01:39 PM Reply With Quote
When I had a puncture a few years ago and called out the recovery service, nail through the sidewall so squirts can would not work hey refused to take me home

The car was a range rover with LPG conversion with the tank in the spare wheel well so I left the spare wheel out the car. They claimed as the car should have a spare wheel then they would only have had to swap it out to meet their obligations and left me stranded.

Had to get a lift home, sort out the spare and return to the car, it was 30 miles from home so not happy.

This was RAC I think.....

Check the small print on your recovery docs, he would not even take off the wheel although said "if the spare was flat or damaged as well then recovery was allowed or they would have taken the spare to be fixed and swapped out".

motorcycle_mayhem

posted on 19/4/13 at 03:39 PM Reply With Quote
On the road-going kit car, no, there's a can of tyre weld attached to the chassis.
On the van and trailer, yes, full spares, checked and inflated, more tyreweld cans attached too.
When touring on the bike, I did actually use the BMW-supplied tyre plugging kit (skewer/plugs/CO2 bottles) once, just outside Strasbourg in the small hours, in the dark, hurrying back to the ferry at Le Havre, **superb kit**.

I had a tyre-slashing undead neighbour (he hated cars), so relied on the various tyre cans, They all worked 100% without fail on a damaged tread face. They were, however, as useful as a chocolate tea pot when the sidewalls were slashed.

Recovery companies have been (well at least mine have) generally unwilling to help in the absence of a spare tyre.

Stot

posted on 19/4/13 at 04:29 PM Reply With Quote
Interesting that the RAC wouldnt recover you based on not having a spare wheel as many manufacturer cars these days dont come with a spare wheel as standard, its an 'optional extra' and the compressor and slime box is std equiptment.

Cheers
Stot

[Edited on 19/4/13 by Stot]

morcus

posted on 19/4/13 at 04:44 PM Reply With Quote
My AA policy says that you have to pay a penalty charge if they have to recover you because you have no spare or repair kit. I have one but it's worn on one side of the tread alot more than the other and I've got no jack or wrench at the moment, but I wouldn't take it out, it's not worth the risk and I've got nowhere to put it. I carry a compressor at the moment too as I needed a pump to sort a flat last month.

It's better to have one and not need it than to be charged £250 to be recovered from the motorway in the middle of the night.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

smart51

posted on 19/4/13 at 04:54 PM Reply With Quote
I remember the last time I used a spare. It was 15 years ago. I don't worry too much about not having one.

steve m

posted on 19/4/13 at 04:59 PM Reply With Quote
As per most above, i do have a spare "space saver" on the mondeo, and a couple of tins of spare in a can
I also have a spare for the caravan,

but the kit car, no, just a can of stuff, and as the tyre pressures are only 16psi, ive probably driven on flat tyres anyway

Zagato

posted on 19/4/13 at 05:24 PM Reply With Quote
Yeah it was really if you carried one on your 7 type, just wondered what people did. I suppose it's a good trade off against weight if you are touring, especially abroad but for track racing and weekend trips maybe it's not such a priority.

It's a £350 cost option also although i like the look of them on the back when it breaks up an already wide rear...

[Edited on 19/4/13 by Zagato]

Not Anumber

posted on 19/4/13 at 05:57 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
i like the look of them on the back when it breaks up an already wide rear...

I'll have to get one for my Mrs then:

I am making a spare wheel frame and retainer for mine for 2 practical reasons and one aesthetic. It will be handy in the unlikely event of a puncture and will also provide a bit more protection to the back of the car, particularly the fuel tank, in the event of a rear end shunt.

Also, for me, it ties it in a bit more with the classic look of the early 7's.

It may well end up the only MK Indy with one but a pal has a spare wheel on the back of his Tiger Cat and it doesn't look out of place.

RK

posted on 20/4/13 at 12:40 AM Reply With Quote
No because I'm an optimist. I have had a few on the tin top the past few years though.
davidinhull

posted on 21/4/13 at 09:26 AM Reply With Quote
I have a can of gunk in the 7

When I had a skyline Nissan thought a full size spare didn't impare performance

In the megane 225 cup the exhaust runs straight through the spare tyre well so you get a can of gunk - never had to call out recovery so don't know what they think of that

A good few years ago I had to use the spare tyre on a mk2 MR2 - the space saver came out from under the bonnet, nicely replaced the rear wheel, which then presented the problem of what to do with the punctured tyre/wheel as it won't fit anywhere in the car except the passenger seat (currently occupied by a passenger!)

cliftyhanger

posted on 21/4/13 at 10:15 AM Reply With Quote
Our car was built with no spare or anywhere to put it. Seems all the breakdown people (please correct me if I am wrong here) refuse to help such cars out if we get a puncture, on the basis we should be carrying a spare. even though there never has been one with the car. And becoming increasingly common.

when we do a long trip (eg south of france ) I put a spare in the boot. Never been needed. Yet. Have had a punture though before we started carrying it on holiday. The factory can of gunge, plus an extra one, meant we still had to pump the tyre up every 90 minutes. 50 down to 20 psi

Not Anumber

posted on 19/8/13 at 02:48 PM Reply With Quote
Chatting about this with a tyre fitter whilst he was changing the rears on the tin top he came back with a 15" space saver from a Focus. It had been left there years ago by someone who never came back for it so it changed hands for a tenner.

Any idea if it will do the job on a 7 or if it might be too much of a squeeze under the arches ?

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.