Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: wifes tintop crash
AndyW

posted on 23/4/13 at 03:55 PM Reply With Quote
wifes tintop crash

OK here we go,

Wife had a slight knock in Sainsbury car park. Just wondering if I should even bother looking at it or just take it to a garage, get an estimate and hope its a write off.

Basically the damage is, bumper ripped off, o/s headlamp snapped all its fixings, wing ripped in half (plastic), inner wing splash guard broken, under engine tray broken, other plastic from behind the bumper broken.

It's a 2004 Renault megane 1.9 with 130,000 miles on it. I this likely to be a write off or do you think they would repair the damage listed and anything else they find upon panel removal??

Anyone work in a body shop that could advise please. before I drag it off to a local bodyshop.

Thanks

Andy

adithorp

posted on 23/4/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
I'd be amazed if that wasn't a write off... and equally amazed if that was caused by a "slight knock". There's probably more damage you haven't seen.

"A witty saying proves nothing" Voltaire

http://jpsc.org.uk/forum/

cliftyhanger

posted on 23/4/13 at 04:18 PM Reply With Quote
The value will be pretty low, a few hundred quid I would think.

If nobody else was involved(!) I would be inclined to sell as is or repair at home. the expense (now and for the next few years) of an insurance claim may not be warranted.

JoelP

posted on 23/4/13 at 04:35 PM Reply With Quote
I'd agree that that is a write off. Doubt that the other party would offer you enough cash, so I guess claim for it, maybe fix it yourself.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

AndyW

posted on 23/4/13 at 04:50 PM Reply With Quote
it was becoming a money pit recently any way, so might not be such a bad thing, just the ball ache of getting it sorted, and then finding a replacement.
nick205

posted on 23/4/13 at 05:05 PM Reply With Quote
Cost of parts will be more than the value of the car so insurer's will bin it pretty quick I would have thought.

if you have the time/inclination you could patch it up and run it till it dies, saves affecting future insurance premiums (assuming no other parties involved)!

mookaloid

posted on 23/4/13 at 05:07 PM Reply With Quote
As Mr nick205 says /\/\/\

"That thing you're thinking - it wont be that."

JoelP

posted on 23/4/13 at 06:43 PM Reply With Quote
I never thought that there might not be another party! If she's done it herself, then I wouldn't dream of claiming. You could bodge it for several hundred quid, which is what your insurance would go up by each year probably.

Beware! Bourettes is binfectious.

AndyW

posted on 23/4/13 at 06:56 PM Reply With Quote
So would my policy be affected as I have a protected no claims?
morcus

posted on 23/4/13 at 07:01 PM Reply With Quote
They'd still put your premium up. Just reporting it would, even if you didn't claim.

In a White Room, With Black Curtains, By the Station.

cliftyhanger

posted on 23/4/13 at 07:26 PM Reply With Quote
Protected NCD means just that. They protect the discount. They do NOT protect the base price of the premium. So they may load you 50% for the accident, but still give you 60% NCD. You will pay more, plus the NCD may not be transferable, so stuck with existing insurer. Yep, they have you either way............
AndyW

posted on 23/4/13 at 07:37 PM Reply With Quote
It's not worth not claiming, by the time I have got second hand bits, spent time fitting it back together, getting it a new mot which is due soon, plus it already need most of the steering arms replacing, new egr valve, clock spring and n/s window motor might as well just say oh well, had a claim and pay the price.

Not much choice really.

Ninehigh

posted on 23/4/13 at 08:48 PM Reply With Quote
Break it for parts?

nick205

posted on 24/4/13 at 11:45 AM Reply With Quote
Protected NCD is a joke (IMHO), as described above, they will increase your premium one way or another. I refuse to pay the extra for protected NCD.

britishtrident

posted on 24/4/13 at 12:09 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205
Protected NCD is a joke (IMHO), as described above, they will increase your premium one way or another. I refuse to pay the extra for protected NCD.

Depends a lot on the company after 12 years without a claim we had two claims in very quick succession and it didn't have a major effect on our very reasonable premium t, I really cannot recommend LV highly enough if you fit into a low risk driver category.

[Edited on 24/4/13 by britishtrident]

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

D Beddows

posted on 24/4/13 at 03:10 PM Reply With Quote
I have actually been surprised recently about insurance companies actually repairing vehicles you would have thought they would have writen off - guy at work, 04 Plate Skoda Octavia Estate, 240,000 miles, hardly a cherished vehicle inside or out - a van drove into the OSF, ripped half the bumper off, smashed the headlight cluster, and dented (read destroyed) the wing and door...... repaired, no questions asked

Someone drove into the wifes parked car about 3 weeks ago - T reg MK4 Astra, 90,000 miles but a complete shed, bumper and all plastics etc underneath destroyed on OSF, wing dented, headlight scratched beyond repair......... being repaired no questions asked this weekend

Both cars I would have said would have been insurance write offs previously - who knows!!

britishtrident

posted on 24/4/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
There is a gap in the insurance market, some usually owners who cherish an older but not classic car would be willing pay an extra lump on their premium to ensure (with in reason say £1,000 over the valuation of the vehicle ) the car is repaired rather than cat c or d written off. As most of these owner are going to be older low risk drivers it would pay.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

02GF74

posted on 25/4/13 at 02:10 PM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by nick205

you are correct - there was article on the web within the last week or two explaining how is it not worth paying for the NCB after the first year.

owelly

posted on 25/4/13 at 04:03 PM Reply With Quote
If it was my car, I'd just take it to the scrappy. Get whatever cash they hand you and forget about it! Any involvement with the insurance company will cost you more than the car is worth so tell them nothing.

http://www.ppcmag.co.uk

View User's Profile E-Mail User Visit User's Homepage View All Posts By User U2U Member
HowardB

posted on 25/4/13 at 05:56 PM Reply With Quote
there have been changes mentioned in the media and also seconded by a mate that works at a body shop, that the insurers are specing the use of "recycled" body panels etc. So therefore they are appearing greener, able to buy parts for less and also repair more vehicles.

Not sure if it is relevant here though,..

Howard

Fisher Fury was 2000 Zetec - now a 1600 (it Lives again and goes zoom)

coyoteboy

posted on 25/4/13 at 06:20 PM Reply With Quote
Not worth claiming, the car isn't worth the insurance hike you'll see over the next couple of years. I'd go as far as to say it'd be madness to claim.

I've recently submitted a complaint to the insurance ombudsman regarding NCB, lack of consistency (got 12 years NCB with one company, move to the next and they only recognise 5, move to the next and they only recognise the 5 from the previous insurance) and the fact that the NCD protection is not a viable product - By protecting a discount rather and increasing the premium behind it they're effectively ripping off customers who are not capable of seeing the contradiction.

[Edited on 25/4/13 by coyoteboy]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.