Printable Version | Subscribe | Add to Favourites
New Topic New Poll New Reply
Author: Subject: position of #1 cylinder lead on pinto distributor
kp

posted on 26/4/13 at 11:11 PM Reply With Quote
position of #1 cylinder lead on pinto distributor

I forgot to mark the cylinder lead positions before I took the distributor out. And now I'm trying to get the timing right.

The Haynes sierra manual says that the #1 lead on the distributor is the one nearest the timing cover, which is a bit ambiguous as there are two lead sockets on the dizzy cap equally close to the timing cover.

But elsewhere it says that the rotor at TDC should line up with the scribed mark on the distributor body. But the scribed mark is on the side furthest away from the engine.

So which is it? The engine is running now with the no1 lead plugged into position C in the diagram, but its running lumpy and won't idle for more than a few seconds

BTW the engine is Pinto 1.6 OHC with orange(Brown?) distributor cap.

blakep82

posted on 26/4/13 at 11:21 PM Reply With Quote
been a long time since i did anything with distributors, but can't you set the engine to TDC (as per the crank pulley markings)
then look at the rotor arm, and wherever thats pointing i where you need to line a lead up to?

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

kp

posted on 26/4/13 at 11:26 PM Reply With Quote
but I've had the dizzy out so I don't know where the rotor should be pointing at TDC
Smoking Frog

posted on 26/4/13 at 11:54 PM Reply With Quote
Make sure no1 piston is on it's compression stroke and set TDC. Line up rotor arm to mark and refit distributor. Sounds like TDC is currently on exhaust stroke. Remember distributor revolves at half engine revolution. Hence why it seems 180 degrees out. Confirm all this it's been 30+ years since I last did this.

Eddie

blakep82

posted on 27/4/13 at 12:24 AM Reply With Quote
quote:
Originally posted by kp
but I've had the dizzy out so I don't know where the rotor should be pointing at TDC

well, it doesn't matter really. if the engines at TDC for cylinder 1, the rotor can really be pointing anywhere, all you need to do is make sure the rotor points at a plug lead contact, and that plug lead goes to cylinder 1

IVA manual link http://www.businesslink.gov.uk/bdotg/action/detail?type=RESOURCES&itemId=1081997083

don't write OT on a new thread title, you're creating the topic, everything you write is very much ON topic!

snapper

posted on 27/4/13 at 05:46 AM Reply With Quote

I eat to survive
I drink to forget
I breath to pi55 my ex wife off (and now my ex partner)

rusty nuts

posted on 27/4/13 at 06:08 AM Reply With Quote
As already suggested turn the crank to TDC on number 1 cylinder using the cam timing marks ,I would suggest removing the distributor and refitting so that the rotor points to the scribed mark for future reference. Finally get the ignition timing set up correctly. Did the engine idle before you took the distributor out
britishtrident

posted on 27/4/13 at 06:56 AM Reply With Quote
Slow down: If the engine is running you have it right, so check the firing order, check the points gap (if fitted), then check the ignition timing. If you have a Weber carb clean the idle (slow running) jets.

[I] “ What use our work, Bennet, if we cannot care for those we love? .”
― From BBC TV/Amazon's Ripper Street.
[/I]

New Topic New Poll New Reply

go to top

Website design and SEO by Studio Montage

All content © 2001-16 LocostBuilders. Reproduction prohibited
Opinions expressed in public posts are those of the author and do not necessarily represent
the views of other users or any member of the LocostBuilders team.
Running XMB 1.8 Partagium [© 2002 XMB Group] on Apache under CentOS Linux
Founded, built and operated by ChrisW.